New MMBA Trail Guide!

Official news and announcements about MMBA happenings

Re: New MMBA Trail Guide!

Postby UselessPickles » March 6th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Here's some tips for the power-users out there:

Zoom Faster!
Use your mouse scroll wheel to zoom the map in/out around the current position of your mouse cursor!

Search for Trails
There's no built in search feature yet, but this will help you get by for now...
  • Use your browser's built-in search capabilities (Ctrl+F on PC, Cmd+F on Mac) to search for trails in the trail list.
  • You can search for any text that appears in the list, such as trail name, city and zip code.
  • To search amongst all trails in Michigan, make sure all trails are being listed at the time that you search by either clicking the "All Trails" button or checking the "Include off-screen trails in the list" checkbox before you search.
  • To search amongst only trails in a certain area, zoom the map into that area and uncheck the "Include off-screen trails in the list" checkbox before searching.

Use the Trail Guide to easily refer to specific trails or POIs in conversations.
  • When you click the "link" icon, a URL is generated that will nearly exactly reproduce what you currently see on the map. This includes the position/zoom of the map, whether you are viewing the trail list or a trail's details, which trail or POI is currently selected, opacity settings of overlays, etc.
  • Are you trying to organize a group to meet at a particular trailhead or parking location in a trail system that has multiple options? Select the exact POI where you want to meet, create a link and share it with the rest of the group.
  • Is the location, title or description of a trail's POI wrong? Instead of trying to verbally describe which one has a problem, create a link to it and include it in your email to webmaster@mmba.org, along with the corrected info. This will ensure quick and accurate fixes to the data without requiring a reply email to ask for further clarification of which trailhead you are talking about, for example.
  • Are some non-POI details about a trail wrong? Create a link to the trail in question and include it in your email to provide corrections.
  • The exact position and zoom level of the map is nice to retain in the URL for most situations where you want others to see exactly what you're looking at, but if you just want to link to a trail or POI in general, you can remove the "&center=<coordinates>&zoom=<zoom level>" portion of the URL. The trail guide will automatically set the map position and zoom level to an appropriate default that will take into consideration the current set of POIs and overlays of a trail, for example. In its most basic form, all you need is the "?trail=<trail ID>" portion of the URL parameters to create a link to the details of a trail. Just be sure to test the URL you create to ensure it leads to what you expect before sharing it with others.
UselessPickles

Postby Di_bear » March 8th, 2013, 8:08 pm

PK wrote:Maybe it's the Holly-Wilderness trails that's missing?

That is correct. Was that ever mapped for mountain bike use other than the usual DNR map?
Di_bear

Postby Critter7r » March 8th, 2013, 9:30 pm

see below ...
Last edited by Critter7r on March 8th, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » March 8th, 2013, 9:31 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Critter7r wrote:If there's a place to offer suggestions, the trail for Holdridge East doesn't show up.

Are you meaning Gruber's Grinder, the east loop of Holdridge?

Yes. The park shows up, but there's no line depicting the trail.

EDIT: Although, I see there is a link to the trail map, soooo ... moot.
Critter7r

Postby Geff » March 9th, 2013, 5:42 pm

I can only say WOW! This is such a great update to the MMBA! What a score you all did and deserve copious amounts of really good libations for your job so very well done!
Geff

Postby jonw9 » March 22nd, 2013, 4:17 pm

I forget, but isn't there a link back to the trail threads which is full of free form comments? Adding another location to check doesn't seem tremendously useful.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby UselessPickles » March 22nd, 2013, 4:40 pm

The forum threads are intended to be a continuous up-to-date discussion of the current trail conditions, to say stuff like "I rode today and it was a bit muddy at mile marker 3, but otherwise good", or "there's a tree down 2 miles in from the trail head", or "I removed the that tree, the trail's all clear now". The existing forum threads are not useful for getting a general description of the trail.

What's being discussed here is a way for people to contribute additional generalized (not specific current conditions) details/attributes of the trail itself that would help others decide if it is a trail they would like to ride: "fast and flowy trail", "very tight and technical", "has a few log bridges and jumps", "there's a few steep and technical downhill sections that would be tough for beginners", "lots of roots and 1-2 foot drops", "smooth trail with very few roots/rocks", or "the intersection at post #5 is a bit confusing for first-timers. turn left there to stay on the trail", etc.

Theoretically, it shouldn't blow up into a 100 page long thread of comments on each trail, because each comment would only contribute additional important details about the trail that hasn't yet been mentioned in previous comments. It only takes so much to describe the important characteristics of a trail. It would be a group effort to describe the trail by people that actually ride the trail, to complement the "official" description of the trail. A description of the trail written by bikers for bikers.
UselessPickles

Postby Loren » March 22nd, 2013, 9:16 pm

From my perspective, a first step that would avoid the moderation issues would be to provide access for trail coordinators to update descriptions, conditions, and other status for their trails.

A few years ago before the last refactoring, I had access through a simple form to maintain "open/avoid/... " status for our chapter trails along with a line of text elaborating on current conditions. While some trails were never updated, we updated status fairly frequently during the spring thaw. That status appeared in the index for trails, so it was readily visible. That ability to update was lost along the way, and the status removed from the trail guide.

I can't complain about the responsiveness that Steve and others have had over the years when I've emailed updates for our trails. Still, it requires an email and attention of two people to make these updates happen, and so they happen infrequently. For instance, I'm bothered by the difficulty ratings in the new guide for Island Lake but haven't gotten around to write an email yet. But if it was directly editable, I'd probably have taken care of it.

There's a google map of trails that I've seen where the open/closed/avoid status is surfaced as different colored icons on the google map. (I suspect that they generate the kml on demand from a database). If we added status, that would be a cool way to surface it at a glance.
Loren

Postby ChrisInYpsi » August 31st, 2013, 9:13 pm

The new Trail Guide has been incredibly helpful for me. I've been trying to ride as many new-to-me trails as possible this year, and the Trail Guide has made things quite easy. Fantastic resource!

I'm preparing to ride the Hillsdale College trail this weekend, and I noticed that the trail description looks to be copied erroneously from Highland. Not sure who might author a "correct" description, but here are a few resources I googled that might help:
- https://www.facebook.com/MountainBikeTr ... aleCollege
- http://www.hillsdalecollegian.com/2012/ ... ke-trails/ (there is a map in this article that could be used in the Trail Guide)
- http://www.hillsdalecollegian.com/wp-co ... rk-Map.jpg (direct link to the map from the above article)
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109728
- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113529
Perhaps at a minimum we could update the Facebook link, add the map, and list the mileage?

Thanks again for developing the Trail Guide!
ChrisInYpsi

Postby RickPlite » August 31st, 2013, 9:48 pm

the WMMBA will be adding all the chapter trails into the IMBA MTB Project site, I think it is a great idea, we just need folks to enter all the trails in Michigan and then the WORLD. :-)
RickPlite

Postby PK » July 7th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Here's another trail to add to the guide.
I heard about it while riding the Boyne Mt trails.
Never went over and checked it out but I was told it's a fun trail.

http://www.cityofboynecity.com/avalanche-trail-maps-192/

Pete.
PK

Next

Return to MMBA News