Massive Fallout prep

Want to help? This is the where requests for volunteers are posted, including trail work days, mountain kids events, and more

Massive Fallout prep

Postby utabintarbo » August 30th, 2013, 9:16 am

Help is needed prepping the course for the upcoming Massive Fallout Group Ride on October 5. This will consist of a short trail day to clear out the ~3/4 mile Conklin Connector on the west side of Bald Mountain on September 21, 9AM (rain date is the 22nd), and trail and road marking on the 3rd and 4th of October.

Trail day
The trail day's activities will consist of the usual lopping and weed-whacking (using CRAMBA's shiny new power tools :D). Logistics still are in flux, but the fun will start about here.

Marking
Familiarity with the ride's previous iterations is a plus, but not necessary. Familiarity with either Bald Mountain North, Addison, or the dirt roads in that area would be very helpful. The ability to read and follow directions, use a stapler and a hammer, plus be able to spray paint the ground without hitting your shoes is a must (I'm still working on that last one :roll:). Having the requisite tools (hammer, heavy-duty stapler) would be really helpful.

Please PM me or email to mfo@cramba.org with contact info and what you are willing and able to help with. Thanks! :D
utabintarbo

Re: Massive Fallout prep

Postby i69whitey » August 30th, 2013, 11:29 am

You know we are in
all 1 1/2 of us.8-)

-whitey
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby utabintarbo » August 30th, 2013, 11:39 am

i69whitey wrote:You know we are in
all 1 1/2 of us.8-)

-whitey

Jude, I can trust. A bit less sure about you. :roll:

:wink: :lol:
utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » September 16th, 2013, 9:01 am

The Trail Day portion is this Saturday. A large portion of this weekend's fun will be weed-whacking the ~0.7 mile of the Conklin Connector. There will also be some lopping needed, mostly at each end of the connector. I will likely have 2 line-trimmer units available, and a number of loppers. If you have your own, please don't hesitate to bring them.

As always, long sleeves/pants are recommended, along with bug spray and water. At least it will be nice and cool. Allegedly. :roll:
utabintarbo

Postby lawn dart » September 16th, 2013, 10:24 am

The last time I went through the Conklin Connector it had plenty of deadfall and was practically buried in overgrowth.
If it has not been worked on recently, it will require a focused assault to make it passable.

I plan on being there to get revenge for the flesh lost to the thorn bushes. FIRE UP THE POWER TOOLS!
lawn dart

Postby RMXByker » September 16th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Sorry Bob. I'm out this year as I have to go to a wedding this weekend. Good luck!
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2006 Bianchi M.U.S.S. (MTN Single Speed)
2007 26" Specialized Epic Marathon (Geared full squish)
2011 Salsa Vaya (Do all bike)
RMXByker

Postby Jim O » September 20th, 2013, 7:16 pm

We still on for tomorrowA.M.? Or is Sunday better?
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby masenyk » September 20th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Bob I will not be there tomorrow I have to work
masenyk

Postby utabintarbo » September 20th, 2013, 10:34 pm

mmba6862 wrote:We still on for tomorrowA.M.? Or is Sunday better?

Sunday would likely be better, but we're still on for the morning. Sunday is already booked. :P
utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » September 21st, 2013, 1:08 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
mmba6862 wrote:We still on for tomorrowA.M.? Or is Sunday better?

Sunday would likely be better, but we're still on for the morning. Sunday is already booked. :P

While humid, and a bit dewy, it wasn't too bad after all. We got the connector mostly cleared out with the exception of one low-hanging tree, which we hope to get out of there this week. You can really tell this trail has not been used much this year, as it is (and will likely stay) a bit ...rustic. Thanks to Jim for the help! :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » September 29th, 2013, 9:53 am

The marking phase will take place this week (generally Thursday and Friday) and I could still use a few people to paint up a couple of parks and pound a few signs near intersections. I have a spreadsheet that has most (not all, yet) of the sign and paint locations specified for easy reference. Please let me know via PM if you are available to help out for an evening or two. :D
utabintarbo

Return to Volunteers Needed