Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby cramer » September 18th, 2011, 9:23 am

Hydrospeed wrote:I am visiting from out of state, and two years ago I rode luton park. I was wondering is it sell a requirement to park at d&w or can we park by the barn still? Thank you and good work on a great trail!!!

It was never OK to park at the barn. Good news is there is now a legit parking lot that is just about 100 yards west of the barn.
cramer

Postby cramer » September 20th, 2011, 7:20 am

Rain was good to the trail. Rode it last night, no problems with mud or anything. The ground soaked up the rain pretty quickly.

For those that like to ride between the ski area and Luton, we're planning to build a short loop of singletack between the two trails on the Cannon Township property. Please come out and help build the new trail, we could use all the help we can get.

Details: http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=106334
cramer

Postby raymears » September 22nd, 2011, 9:00 pm

I found a trip computer in the leaves about halfway through the black loop today. If anyone knows someone who lost one there, post here. It's a Blackburn Atom SL wireless.
raymears

Postby cramer » September 30th, 2011, 4:42 pm

cramer wrote:Rain was good to the trail. Rode it last night, no problems with mud or anything. The ground soaked up the rain pretty quickly.

For those that like to ride between the ski area and Luton, we're planning to build a short loop of singletack between the two trails on the Cannon Township property. Please come out and help build the new trail, we could use all the help we can get.

Details: http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=106334

Bump on the trail work day tomorrow morning. Dress warm!

Merrell has agreed to buy us all lunch and give out some free stuff shwagg and at least one gift certificate for some new shoes to a random volunteer.
cramer

Postby pharus » October 3rd, 2011, 8:52 am

We rode some NCT in the morning on Saturday, then Luton in the afteroon. Not used to that many miles, we both developed some leg cramps. But is was amazing how much more enjoyable a biking trail (Luton) is compared to a hiking trail (NCT) even though they are generally similar terrain. My thanks to those that maintain the trail, I only catch it when traveling across the state now and then.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » October 11th, 2011, 3:44 pm

You guys sure werent kidding about those squirrels. Dodging those things left and right adds a whole new dynamic to an already somewhat technical trail. :)

Trail is a little sandy in spots but still very fast.
Leaves hiding alot of debris, ruts, and roots so be prepared to take some licks. :wink:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » October 11th, 2011, 4:01 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:Trail is a little sandy in spots but still very fast.
Leaves hiding alot of debris, ruts, and roots so be prepared to take some licks. :wink:

+1 - saw a couple of guys go down last night while riding, either from slippery leaves on sandy trail or from roots hidden by the leaves.
cramer

Postby gtrowbridge » October 11th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Hit my head on a branch hanging somewhat into the trail on the green. Almost gave me a concussion. Stayed up on the bike though. It was not to much after you enter the shrubbery. Don't think I got any taller and I'm pretty sure I wasn't leaning that hard into the turn. So something to be aware of. This is a late post as it was last Friday.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby chuckdamage » October 19th, 2011, 12:04 am

I rode there for the first time today. You guys are lucky to have such a great trail. I had a blast!
chuckdamage

Postby cramer » October 19th, 2011, 8:44 am

FYI- we're hoping to finish up the new trail that's between Luton and the Ski Area / Game Area on October 29th. Once we get done with it, we'll have to come up with a new name for the "tri-fecta" of all those trails combined into one ride because you'll want to include this section for sure. Details here-

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=107188
cramer

Postby yamaha13 » October 19th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Could call it "The Quad" or "4X4" but Tri-Fecta has kind of become famous around the state, hate to see the name disappear and I think we should still use it for the second annual ride to help support 50 miles in 5 years.
yamaha13

Postby cramer » October 31st, 2011, 9:04 am

yamaha13 wrote:Could call it "The Quad" or "4X4" but Tri-Fecta has kind of become famous around the state, hate to see the name disappear and I think we should still use it for the second annual ride to help support 50 miles in 5 years.

That's true on the name.

The trail is done now, just bumpy and needs to be ridden in.

I just realized it could be a decent place to start / end a trifecta ride too. With a new public restroom and drinking fountain that we just added to the outside of the fire department there, you could refill your water supply at the half way point. Start from this trail parking lot and hit the ski / game area, then re-supply water on the way back before you hit Luton if you need to. There's also a grocery store and a couple of restaurants right there for re-fueling also.
cramer

Postby RickPlite » October 31st, 2011, 9:22 am

cramer wrote:
yamaha13 wrote:Could call it "The Quad" or "4X4" but Tri-Fecta has kind of become famous around the state, hate to see the name disappear and I think we should still use it for the second annual ride to help support 50 miles in 5 years.

That's true on the name.

The trail is done now, just bumpy and needs to be ridden in.

I just realized it could be a decent place to start / end a trifecta ride too. With a new public restroom and drinking fountain that we just added to the outside of the fire department there, you could refill your water supply at the half way point. Start from this trail parking lot and hit the ski / game area, then re-supply water on the way back before you hit Luton if you need to. There's also a grocery store and a couple of restaurants right there for re-fueling also.

excellent point!
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » October 31st, 2011, 9:32 am

What's the total mileage?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby cramer » October 31st, 2011, 9:54 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:What's the total mileage?

I'm not exactly sure yet, need to get a bike computer with a wheel magnet out there. I think it's about 1.2 miles. For references, that's slightly longer than the yellow loop at Luton.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions