Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby jiml » August 25th, 2013, 7:39 am

Rode the trail yesterday as well, missed running into you Bob. No pun. (Those blind corners are a hoot.) The trail is in awesome shape, thanks to everyone who has been putting in the time and effort!

Does anyone add in the island to their loops out there? There's a bit of hike-a-bike due to erosion on the south end and the north end has been taken over by growth but I think it has potential for additional trail and fixing/rerouting the erosion spot.

I guess I need to pay more attention to the board to see when people are going out to work... I'd be up for lending a hand with labor or such. Is there a weekly group ride out there? I'd say the trail is ripe for an XC or enduro MTB race... 6/12 hours of Sleepy anyone?

Jim
jiml

Postby owosso bob » August 25th, 2013, 8:14 am

Jim we walked some of the Island a couple of weeks ago . I was waiting for DNR Dave to get back and after Labor Day was going to talk him about reclaiming those trails on the Island . Been trying to get the main trails in shape first . Dave and his crew have done an outstanding job this year . As far as I know there is not a group ride going but sounds like a good idea . I got DALMAC coming this week so might see you the week after .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 26th, 2013, 1:30 pm

The DNR would like to keep the island as it is due to an interesting ecosystem on it. So no formal trails on the island.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » September 7th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Thanks to Dr. Chuck Nelson from MSU, Chucks students and Bob Flynn for helping out with the trails today. We repaired some culverts, filled in some of the ruts south of Price rd. and also re-routed the trail going up the "glass hill" by marker 3.

Hopefully that route will be more sustainable. There was still some glass shining in the dirt there towards the bottom of the hill, we'll have to get back out to rake that up and pick up the trash everyone collected in that area today.

Once the trail gets broken in there we'll see if we need to make any adjustments. The cross slope at the bottom seemed a little steep. Ride it and let us know.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » September 28th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Got 3 more trouble spots taken care of today on the south side of Price road , the one by tree with the bad root problem is now fixed plus the 2 mud holes . It will be a little soft till it rains to settle the gravel down . The trail is in super shape . We just need feedback if we need to move the reroute farther east on the glass hill to take some of the steepness out of it .
owosso bob

Postby jiml » September 29th, 2013, 4:46 am

Hey Bob, great running into you yesterday!

I rode up the 'glass hill' re-route and personally find it much easier than the original. I think once it gets burned in, there won't be any problem going up the re-route for most all riders.

The trail is in amazing shape, a far cry from the bushwhacking it used to be. Thanks everyone for the hard work! Sleepy is truly the Island Lake of the north. 8)

Bob, I did make a left at the end of the glass hill section by the (hard right) bridge and semi bushwhacked up the route where I was stopped just short of where it would intersect the route going straight from the glass hill intersection. Wow. I hope that makes sense. :shock: However, I was unwilling to sacrifice flesh and blood going through the hedgerow of prickers blocking ~10 feet of trail. The actual trail is very packed in, but the brush obscures things a bit. Anyway, this might be a good alternate for those unwilling to scale the ridge before dropping to the stream section and still allow them to follow the outer loop of the red trail.

I"m already dreaming of a Mid-Mich Bikepacking tour, once the CIS is clear (or not). Hopkins Lake, Sleepy, Ionia, Greenville... and all the rail trails in-between- to complete the loop, hitting Stanton, Edmore and Alma And a wee bit of road between Owosso and Alma.

Jim
jiml

Postby RAC » September 29th, 2013, 11:30 am

I was out riding the trail on Sat 9-28-13 with Owosso Bob, AKA Banzai Bob, and with Owosso Mike.

The trail was fast and fun. Much smoother as more people are riding it. The turns and curves seem to work well into each other, and at times it reminded me of some parts of Arcadia Dunes. The work that DNR Dave and Bob, along with other volunteers has really paid off.

I would like to see some type of race or ride set for Sleepy Hollow, to show off the great trail conditions, but I wonder if it would be best to keep this local gem, "secret'? It is nice to have the trail to yourself, and to be able to cruise along.

Perhaps there can be some way to tie in a ride/race with the CIS trail and a loop around SHSP in the future.

Right now, SHSP is a great training area and a fun place to get in a quick ride.
RAC

Postby owosso bob » September 30th, 2013, 6:57 am

Thanks jiml . You forgot to add the Jailhouse trail in Ithaca to that bikepacking trip . I am looking for gravel roads to complete the loop back to Owosso from Ithaca .
owosso bob

Postby jiml » September 30th, 2013, 9:29 am

Hey Bob,

That's right! I always forget about that trail... Must be the 6hrs of incarceration I spent on that trail a few years ago. 8)

Here's the strava and pic link for the rail-trail-ish loop of the route. My route from Owosso -> Ithaca pretty much zigzaged a mix of roads following the railroad tracks but there was little traffic the entire way, until I took State Road out of Ithaca towards Alma.

http://www.strava.com/activities/75851567

http://zipspot.blogspot.com/2013/08/kno ... -rail.html

Jim
jiml

Postby owosso bob » October 2nd, 2013, 8:36 am

Rode the trail yesterday and there is a tree down between 2&3 sign posts . It was too big for me to move . The glass hill is getting a little better every time I ride it . Having a fun time out there now .
owosso bob

Postby owosso bob » October 15th, 2013, 10:06 am

Excellent shape yesterday !
owosso bob

Postby Zoo1424 » October 17th, 2013, 6:12 am

It's been a couple of years since I've been down to Sleepy Hollow & I'm thinking about making the trip soon. Is hunting allowed at Sleepy Hollow & if it is allowed, is it something to be concerned about now? (vs. during gun season for deer)
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby owosso bob » October 17th, 2013, 11:45 am

Hunting is allowed but I have had no problems as there usually are very few people hunting when I have ridden out there . Be advised that the trail is muti-directional and there are some tight corners and we have seen more people riding out there as of late so keep the eyes open . The trail is in great shape right now .
owosso bob

Postby Zoo1424 » October 17th, 2013, 1:01 pm

owosso bob wrote:Hunting is allowed but I have had no problems as there usually are very few people hunting when I have ridden out there . Be advised that the trail is muti-directional and there are some tight corners and we have seen more people riding out there as of late so keep the eyes open . The trail is in great shape right now .

Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting out there to ride.
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby Mike 373 » October 21st, 2013, 5:01 pm

Not too many hunters out in the mornings. Weekends there are many. Just wear something bright. I would personally not ride there during firearm deer season. You may be ok mid-day. I believe 10am-2pm is legal but dont take my word for it. The trail is excellent even with all the rain. I would like to stir up a ride next year for sure. I still am amazed at how far this trail has came. Still work to do but it is night and day.
Mike 373

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments