CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby macbean » June 1st, 2010, 5:27 am

c0nsumer wrote:For what it's worth, there were horse prints and *beep* on non-horse segments today.

yep, there was a lot of it out there. both new and old.
macbean

Postby fattyclark » June 1st, 2010, 1:37 pm

I have yet to see a reminder about this so I hope it is still happening there is trail day out here this weekend on 5th. what is the start time?
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby black2003ss » June 1st, 2010, 8:30 pm

Rode to PLRA from home, did one loop, and rode back. Trail was 90% dry, typical small puddles in a dozen areas, but overall good shape. Back half seemed to be more wet than the first 4miles to the park road crossing. First time there this season. Love the re-route at the end, very nicely done. Was expecting that washed out ravine.
black2003ss

Postby c0nsumer » June 1st, 2010, 9:41 pm

black2003ss wrote:Rode to PLRA from home, did one loop, and rode back. Trail was 90% dry, typical small puddles in a dozen areas, but overall good shape. Back half seemed to be more wet than the first 4miles to the park road crossing. First time there this season. Love the re-route at the end, very nicely done. Was expecting that washed out ravine.

After eating terrible before riding (BK, uggh) and me having a crap 2/3 of a ride, we ended up on on that reroute just as yesterday's thunderstorm rolled in. I didn't expect the start of it and got a bit stuck, but really liked it otherwise. It's nice to not be riding on the edge of a 18" deep wash.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby str8flush24 » June 2nd, 2010, 11:08 am

If anyone rides this afternoon please post the condition after the rain yesterday and this morning. Thanks.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby MikeBl » June 7th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Hit PLRA after work today - :wink: Rideable but at least a dozen muddy or standing water spots.
Ride thru, not around.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby Bellock » June 7th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Why ride through and not around?
Bellock

Postby compacted_graphite » June 7th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Trail report for Monday, June 7: There was quite a bit of rain this weekend, especially Sunday, and with the full canopy of leaves on the trees, the trail system will not dry out as quickly. There are several wet spots and a few new sand traps not normally seen on the trail. There is a new reroute at mile 6 built by MMBA crew on past Saturday around a low mud spot. The trail has been moved slightly west on higher ground around the mud holes. The entire trail is a bit shaggy and needs some trimming, otherwise in fair shape. The tree that was down at mile 2.5 was removed by Park Staff on May 28.
compacted_graphite

Postby MikeBl » June 8th, 2010, 11:22 am

Riding around mud and water will eventually widen the trail and usually promote erosion. When one encounters mud/water on a [u]familiar[/u] trail, it is always recomended to stay on line and ride thru the area. Your bike, clothes and self will clean up much faster than an eroded section of trail.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby DeanWermer » June 13th, 2010, 12:14 am

Not bad today. Still some mud spots. But, minor. Quite a bit of moisture on the rocks and roots due to the high humidity. Should be awesome tomorrow, as the temps will be in the upper '60's in the am.
DeanWermer

Postby KokoRider » June 13th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Rode PLRA about 8:30 a.m. Sunday, June 13. Trail overall excellent with few wet spots. However, the Poison Ivy seems to be on steroids, and all the rain is making the greenery grow fast alongside and across the trail, so watch for face, arm and leg slappers. Strangely, not one mosquito around, even when stopping for water breaks (and cause we pushed harder than my body was prepared for).
Save the trails at Proud Lake!
KokoRider

Postby yetidog » June 14th, 2010, 8:53 am

The poison ivy is loving all this rain and humidity! I couldn't attend the last trail day, but I would be happy to spend a day spraying herbicide to get rid of the stuff. Now is the time, it's very easy to identify.

The new re-route around the ever-present mud puddle rides well. Thanks to all the folks that made that happen.
yetidog

Postby ihateplaindave » June 14th, 2010, 11:17 am

+1 on the new reroute. Thanks.
ihateplaindave

Postby Bellock » June 16th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Anyone ride today. Looking for trail conditions after last nights rain.
Bellock

Postby Tom L. » June 16th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Bellock wrote:Anyone ride today. Looking for trail conditions after last nights rain.

Wet in the usual spots but otherwise fine.
Tom L.

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions