Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby oogs » August 9th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I'm out of town next weekend :\
oogs

Postby Geff » August 14th, 2013, 7:33 pm

From the Border 2 Border group. Summer update on the pathway. Good stuff!

http://bordertoborder.intuitwebsites.co ... r_2013.pdf
Geff

Postby Geff » September 19th, 2013, 9:01 pm

sisu wrote:Pretty sure this land is EAST of US23 and WEST of Dixboro Rd.

Yes.
Geff

Postby 300hp » September 22nd, 2013, 7:55 pm

hahaha right. That chunk of land shares many of the unique geological attributes that Cherry Hill park does. I really don't understand why more people don't ride and hike that park. SO FUN.

The piece of land in question is, in my opinion, one of the least utilized, yet most suited to natural park use in the Ann Arbor area. The grazed old growth would be quite nice to walk through, and if trails were legally allowed through that parcel, the mellow grade and spine-ridge topography could certainly make for sustainable, entertaining riding.

I guess we'll just have to see. The problem, from a mountain bike perspective, with bringing a natural space conservation group into it is the chance of losing the prospective ability to ride on that land. Long time Ann Arbor riders already know the extent some militant conservationists go to in order to make bike travel less appealing on local loop trails.

Quite a pity, really. With just a modicum of support, the NE quadrant of Ann Arbor could have one of the midwest's best urban trail networks. Some former refuse dump-site land, which is already shot from a keep-it-unmolested naturalist perspective, would be ideal for a "flow trail" with its long, even grade, light vegetation, and clay topsoil. Abutting neighborhoods have built sidewalk access that terminates to the parcel, and homeowners have blazed various trails across the land. Oh well. It'll stay fallow in the U's hands.

I've heard campfire tales of trails in that quadrant, but I suspect they're just ghost stories :)
300hp

Postby oogs » September 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Bcar wrote:

come to the poto chapter meeting tonight and introduce yourself. Not many I know will blindly give tours of "stuff" ;) myself included, no offense...

Ive seen a few strava types on the loop, but not many. I think we have to go far above and beyond with hikers/walkers on the local loop, just the nature of what we're up against in the DPRA2. It is a PITA, and shouldn't be necessary, but everyone should be saying hello, yielding, using a bell to warn others, etc. need to put our best feet forward if you will.

Hah, fair enough. When/where is it? I don't see any info about it here - http://www.potomba.org/ .
oogs

Postby Bcar » September 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Ann arbor brew co, tonight, 730pm.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby oogs » September 27th, 2013, 10:36 am

During the meeting I mentioned I had some ideas on how to fix the see saw in Olsen, and was promptly volunteered to do that. The main complaint was that the board moves around a lot when ridden, resulting in it not being available for some riders (i.e. it's moved too far forwards and the approach side is now off the ground... till someone stops to fix it). Can I just wander out there and do my thing (after I mock it up in my garage, just to make sure), or is there a procedure to follow for doing these fixes?

Edit: grammar.
Last edited by oogs on September 27th, 2013, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
oogs

Postby Geff » September 27th, 2013, 11:09 am

Good question. And nice meeting you too! Welcome! I'll leave the answer to someone more in the know about that sort of thing.
Geff

Postby Geff » September 30th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Bcar wrote:I just had the class at Maybury 2 weeks ago. But I'm guessing we could get 5-10 local guys, if we can find a time that works for everyone... They usually have the training at the MMBA expo every winter.

This would be huge for us in a2, we can log all the volunteer hours with the city, counts for ~$22/hr in terms of donated labor... not to mention good pr, and best of all.. ACCESS TO PROMOTIVE.COM!!!!

If we could get a good turnout for the expo from our Chapter, then I am sure we (State level Board/Expo planning folks) could and would offer up a room and time for another training session during the expo. I know we did it last year, and there were about 25 or so people who participated and went through the initial training session with the Powerpoint and on course simulation of an accident.

This aspect of Mt Biking and trail advocacy is very very beneficial to us in all sorts of ways. Again, let me know whatever folks intentions are, and I can begin to put this together and make it happen. A session here in A2 for us? Or wait until the end of Jan and have the session in Lansing with everyone else?
Geff

Postby oogs » October 10th, 2013, 10:00 pm

You're welcome! I actually broke one of the pieces of wood while I was anchoring it last night, so I'm running out there to replace that piece tomorrow. I was somewhat amused - I had 8 riders go by, all of different levels, all very excited that the board won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit: piece replaced.
oogs

Postby oogs » October 11th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Edit: removed some stuff. can't delete the post as a whole though.
Last edited by oogs on October 14th, 2013, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oogs

Postby Bcar » November 4th, 2013, 11:40 am

loop was in pretty good shape last night for a quickie. two trees down in a place that shall not be named, LOOK OUT.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby jmf003 » December 31st, 2013, 10:08 am

Bcar wrote:
jmf003 wrote:
Bcar wrote:Thanks for the update. Were you wearing a blue jacket?

That was me! Where were you? I didn't see anyone else riding the trail.

Ha ha ha. Awesome. I was on M-14 driving home and spotted you. One of the few times I've ever caught someone on the trail while I was on the highway.

Good eyesight, sir!
jmf003

Postby John Beeson » February 27th, 2014, 10:20 am

I rode the local AA loop Monday night.. It was super nice. The trails are pressed, the trails are fairly wide, and super fun! The underpass is super super crazy slippery (had to stay slow and upright on the bike - don't try to walk it!). Black Pond woods was good, Leslie was good (up to Leslie park where there was no trail at all and difficult to get to the asphalt walkway - I just turned around). Barton nature area was awesome, all parts of it. Kuebler Langford was good to moderate with some drifts and boot holes pocketed here and there.
John Beeson

Postby Bcar » February 27th, 2014, 10:33 am

Thanks for update! Rideable on a standard Mtn bike?
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions