Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby sisu » August 8th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Trail was generally ok, better than I expected given all the rain of late. Just a few standing puddles. Worst was D V to Traver connector. Really overgrown there, also in BPW/LSC . Didn't get over to Cedar Bend. Haven't been on the East loop since June, I imagine it is a jungle by now.

26ers rule on the AA loop.
sisu

Postby oogs » August 9th, 2013, 10:12 am

This is my version of the loop (start around the 2, end around the 16). The ending varies a little - I'll either take Island Dr to Riverside Park and then hop on Broadway, or I'll ride around through Fuller Park a little bit, then take Fuller/Depot to Broadway and pass near the start of the loop again.

Since there's no official map, I was wondering how different it is for you guys, in particular the part connecting Cedar Bend Nature Area, through Fuller/Island Park, to the Bluffs (#15 -> #16 -> #2 on my map). I saw some trails next to the train tracks between Fuller Rd. and the Huron river, however, I can't figure out how to get there.
oogs

Postby sisu » August 9th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Can't tell if this is on your route, but after Olsen, head E on Dhu V, before crossing RR tracks, hang a right onto some singletrack. Hard to see right now...overgrown. This dumps you on Traver.

From Traver I do some of Black Pond, then cross Plymouth at Barton. Off Jones, look left where the road goes right. There is a way to get up to Broadway and then Cedar Bend.
sisu

Postby oogs » August 9th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Yup, that's what I do. The connector from DV -> Traver is in poor shape. The last few times I've ridden it it's been muddy, overgrown, and even missing a bridge. That's part of why I was asking who is responsible for those areas.
oogs

Postby sisu » August 9th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I'll see what I can do. I don't think anyone is really resp for that section. But I like it so I will try to clean it up.
sisu

Postby oogs » August 9th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Need/want help? I happen to have some spare time this weekend.
oogs

Postby sisu » August 9th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Out of town. Nxt wk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sisu

Postby oogs » August 9th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I'm out of town next weekend :\
oogs

Postby Geff » August 14th, 2013, 7:33 pm

From the Border 2 Border group. Summer update on the pathway. Good stuff!

http://bordertoborder.intuitwebsites.co ... r_2013.pdf
Geff

Postby Bcar » August 15th, 2013, 10:59 am

I dont ride the traver section too much (usually wet/overgrown) so it is lacking on maint. I sent a note to NAP about blackpond/LSC today, we dont do any maint on that section. next year we're going to roll out a somewhat trail section adoption program like on poto, but mostly unofficial. overall the loop is in pretty good shape. headed out this evening.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby bigair » August 15th, 2013, 11:11 am

Hi guys, I'm new to town and the forum, great job here and on the trails...

Please keep me posted on any A2 Loop maintenance. I'm happy to help anytime, and have lots of equipment; trailers, tractors, chainsaws, weedwackers, whatever (I moved from the country). I can meetup this evening if you'd like company Bcar...

Thanks again all!!!
bigair

Postby oogs » August 15th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Heh, maybe I'll see you out there tonight. I'm hoping to be at bluffs around 6, give or take my indoor cat escaping again while I prep my bike.
oogs

Postby jmf003 » August 15th, 2013, 3:19 pm

There's a tree down on the Sunset Park trail. Too big to move...will need to be cut.

There were also a few large apple tree limbs down but they were small enough to drag off the trail.
jmf003

Postby 300hp » August 16th, 2013, 11:19 am

trail was riding awesome yesterday. Someone whacked back a bunch of stuff in black pond....YES.

Only really prickly sections were traver woods (to be expected) and the green alien sticky death balls in bluffs (always expected). Clear sailing the rest of the way.

As usual, barton is growing in this time of year, and getting lots of use now that runners are out in full force. Use it as a mellow recovery section after trying to puke in bluffs :)
300hp

Postby Bcar » August 20th, 2013, 12:01 pm

guess NAP took my email to heart on black pond ;)

broken weedwhip has kept me out of barton park, but thats prob next on my to-do list.

if someone wants to beat back bluffs a bit that would help out a lot!

dont think we really need a full-on trail day, just spend 15min or so here and there trimming back the really bad spots.

also, if you're spending time out there, please PM me an estimate on how many hours your're spending maintaining the trails. helps our position with the city.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments