MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby jreyst » August 1st, 2013, 10:15 am

Anyone out there this morning yet? Considering going to either Maybury or Island Lake this afternoon and trying to determine which is in the better condition. I'm sure due to the sandier conditions Island Lake is probably drier but if Maybury is doable I'd rather go there since I haven't been in a few weeks...
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby jreyst » August 1st, 2013, 6:16 pm

Nevermind lol I did 2 laps. Some wet spots but not terrible in case anyone wants to know :)
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby mpw29er » August 1st, 2013, 7:14 pm

^ What he said. A few wet spots but nothing major.
mpw29er

Postby RUN_OCR! » August 3rd, 2013, 7:07 am

Guys, not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not..if not, please let me know.

I ran Maybury yesterday morning before work, when I did part of the yellow trail, there is a sharp turn just after the 1.25 mile marker. There is a metal post coming out of the ground. It caught my toe and I took a spill. I tried working it out, no luck.

It looks like an old metal engineer stake or an old metal fence post the triangular ones for chicken wire (or sic), looks like it is the business end.
RUN OCR!
RUN_OCR!

Location: South of 8 mile, North of Joy, East Haggerty, West of Inkster

Postby Chi » August 3rd, 2013, 12:01 pm

Rode Friday evening and I didn't notice any metal spikes. Hope you're alright.

Otherwise, the trail was in good shape with a few puddles that was drying up nicely. Should be in great condition this weekend.
Chi

Postby bender13 » August 3rd, 2013, 12:17 pm

RUN_OCR! wrote:Guys, not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not..if not, please let me know.

I ran Maybury yesterday morning before work, when I did part of the yellow trail, there is a sharp turn just after the 1.25 mile marker. There is a metal post coming out of the ground. It caught my toe and I took a spill. I tried working it out, no luck.

It looks like an old metal engineer stake or an old metal fence post the triangular ones for chicken wire (or sic), looks like it is the business end.

Was this on the mountain bike trail or the hiking trail?

Jeff
Trails-Edge Racing
National Mountain Bike Patrol
bender13

Postby b_b » August 3rd, 2013, 1:07 pm

RUN_OCR! wrote: when I did part of the yellow trail

Yellow? Yeah based on handle must be a runner on hiking trail. Maybe Trevor will see this...
b_b

Postby DNR_Maybury » August 3rd, 2013, 6:14 pm

I'm guessing he was talking about the color of the carsonite post green-hiking, red-equestrian, yellow-mountain bike. I did go check this out ( what a shame I had to go mountain biking at work today :) ). He was right I pulled a 4' steel post out of the trail. If i was more tech savy I'd post the picture of the 1' that was exposed on the trail! So trail is all clear.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby slukomski » August 3rd, 2013, 6:52 pm

DNR_Maybury wrote:I'm guessing he was talking about the color of the carsonite post green-hiking, red-equestrian, yellow-mountain bike. I did go check this out ( what a shame I had to go mountain biking at work today :) ). He was right I pulled a 4' steel post out of the trail. If i was more tech savy I'd post the picture of the 1' that was exposed on the trail! So trail is all clear.

it's a shame that you had to ride the trail today while working. The lengths you will go to for your job are amazing. You're an inspiration to all of us Trevor. :)
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
slukomski

Postby RUN_OCR! » August 3rd, 2013, 10:12 pm

DNR_Maybury wrote:I'm guessing he was talking about the color of the carsonite post green-hiking, red-equestrian, yellow-mountain bike. I did go check this out ( what a shame I had to go mountain biking at work today :) ). He was right I pulled a 4' steel post out of the trail. If i was more tech savy I'd post the picture of the 1' that was exposed on the trail! So trail is all clear.

Trevor,

I got your email through the site. It says if I reply it will go to your handle, the reply address is the forum@mmba.org..I don't know. I will send a PM as well.

Glad you got it out, I usually run that section backwards...so I see the trail(s) differently.

I didn't get injured, just took a little spill, got up took a look and said "*beep*, that has potential." 4'? Excellent...

I see the workers/ rangers there often. I am the guy running with a 2.5' 4"x4" :D Love Maybury and the great shape it is always in. I appreciate you guys.
RUN OCR!
RUN_OCR!

Postby chisbang » August 4th, 2013, 7:30 pm

chisbang wrote:On Saturday August 10 at 9:00 we will be prepping the trail for the Maybury Time Trial Race the following Saturday. We need a few hands to help trim and mow and maybe fill in some of these mud holes. Meeting place to determined soon. Stay tuned for details.

Meeting at the main trail head. Park in the 8 mile lot as usual.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby RUN_OCR! » August 4th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Here is the little gem Trevor was able to remove:

Thanks for the help!!
RUN OCR!
RUN_OCR!

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » August 6th, 2013, 8:42 am

I was planning on riding Maybury on my way home from work today, which would be around 6:30 give or take 30 minutes. It was raining at a solid rate this morning as I passed by the area at 5:30am but I see the rain has stopped. Any idea if I should still plan to ride there today? Thanks!

-Matt
Digging...it does a body good.
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby 98HooKooFreeRider » August 7th, 2013, 6:40 am

Well, Maybury was in GREAT condition yesterday afternoon! And somehow all of the rain that passed through the area missed the park too!! A few sandy spots but this is MI :) Amazing trail and huge kudos for incorporating FUN features into the trail like rocks you can launch off of and the wooden feature too :twisted: Anytime I can put air under my tires on the XC bike is a welcomed change from the norm around here :)

-Matt
Digging...it does a body good.
98HooKooFreeRider

Postby turbotodd » August 8th, 2013, 11:21 am

trail was in good shape last night at 6pm.
I noted 4 or 5 puddles, but no spots where mud stuck to my tires.
turbotodd

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments