MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » August 4th, 2013, 8:10 am

Yesterday I rode all four loops. Things are in good shape. Met a couple folks from the horse group trimming and repainting signs on Loop 3 (yellow loop).

The only part that's "bad" is the tail end of loop 4, the section from Child's Lake Rd to the RR tracks. There are some overhanging branches that could be taken care of in 15 minutes with a pair of pruners. On Loop 2 the bluestem grass is doing really well this year, it does make the trail seem overgrown, but you can ride through no problem.

Overall the trails are in great shape, the tread is good, looks like there's been moderate bike use and low horse traffic.

John
Asst. Trail Coordinator
J/C

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » August 4th, 2013, 7:38 pm

A couple of friends and I rode through Proud Lake Rec Area on Saturday 8/3. I'm sad to say that, for only the 3rd time in 7 years of riding Proud Lake, I had an unpleasant encounter with an equestrian. The 1st two occasions were early on - in 2007/8, when there were few bikers riding in the park - and since then I have had many pleasant and peaceful interactions with equestrians there. Saturday's encounter was with a bitter old man with a chip on his shoulder who apparently wanted to pick a fight.

We were riding through the meadow area on loop 2 (just past the house on Garden Rd) where the visibility is generally quite good. We were chatting, and not going particularly fast. All of sudden I see Mr. Equestrian about 20-25 feet ahead, around a slight bend and standing still behind a tree, partially obscured. He obviously heard us coming and stopped, although never called out to us. Admittedly, the horse was somewhat startled by our approach. We immediately pulled off the trail, and knowing that human voices can reassure a startled horse, I called out - "I'm really sorry about that, I didn't see you there. We've pulled off the trail, please come on through, we'll wait here."

He responded angrily by saying - "Like *beep* you didn't see me, I'm not exactly small sitting way up here on this horse!" I responded "Look, you're behind a tree in shadow, and around this bend, I honestly didn't see you until now." He then when on a little diatribe about how "you mountain bikers" have no business riding in this park, you have plenty of other places to ride, that equestrians have no other places left to ride except here (not true, by the way), etc. etc. Meanwhile, he starts moving closer to us.

I tried to defuse the situation to no avail, saying "You don't need to be like that, I honestly didn't see you, I apologized, and we've pulled off the trail - please just continue on your ride."

But he continued on where he left off.....to which I finally responded. "It's not my problem that you don't want us here, you'll have to take that up with the park management; this is a multi-use trail, and we are allowed to ride here just like you."

Mr. Equestrian apparently didn't like that at all....then he starts moving his horse within just a few feet of us, in an apparent attempt to intimidate us, and started using foul language. The horse, obviously not socialized to mountain bikers, was still skittish and jittery through all of this. This time I felt it necessary to raise my voice, telling him that he needs to just move along.

This time he gets more belligerent, telling me (among other choice things) to "Kiss my *beep*!". In between chuckles (presuming he was confusing "kiss my ass" with "suck my *beep*"), I responded with "I would, but it's obviously so small that I wouldn't be able to find it...." Before I could finish my thought by adding, "....because obviously you're compensating for your tiny *beep* by riding that large animal", he yelled out that he was going to kick my f@&%ing ass and directed his horse directly at me. His horse, still spooked, reared up a bit and turned the other way. The three of us decided to take the opportunity to exit before the grumpy old man hurt himself or his horse.

While perhaps I *should have* remained calm and cool, and not insulted him at the end, the whole situation was just absurd. As if we wanted to startle his horse? If we were intentionally trying to do that, we wouldn't have stopped at all - we could have just blown by him and let the horse throw him to the ground. What a complete idiot. I feel sorry for the poor horse that has to put up with this guy on a daily basis.
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Postby bleve » August 6th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Hmm,

I rode on Friday night and compared my first ride here this year to the half dozen or so I did last year and thought the trail was really overgrown. I assumed the trail crews came through around Labor Day so fall riding was nice and assumed summer riding was a lost cause. The sections in the woods were fine but anywhere in the open was just bulling through brush. Not terrible, but not pleasant - except for the poison ivy I picked up, that hasn't been pleasant.

As for equestrian encounters, I've never seen one out on the few times I rode there (usually weekday evenings last year) and never saw trailers in the parking lot. I'd say the one guy is just crochety and like you said doesn't represent equestrians anymore than any other loser in choose your activity.
bleve

Postby Spinwheel » August 6th, 2013, 8:06 pm

J/C wrote:The only part that's "bad" is the tail end of loop 4, the section from Child's Lake Rd to the RR tracks. There are some overhanging branches that could be taken care of in 15 minutes with a pair of pruners.
John
Asst. Trail Coordinator

John's an optimist! Actually, if you don't bleed from the thorn cuts, he's right, its not bad for August in the bush, Proud Lake Style. :wink:

I went out Sunday to get the stuff on L4 but someone beat me to it.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » August 9th, 2013, 11:06 am

Did more thorn trimming last nite on L2 and 4
Still some thorny vines in the trail..can be nipped with a hand pruner.
Overgrowth is beginning to recede with daylight hours.
Tree down on Glengary connector, near the dirt road, laying a few inches off the ground, not perpendicular to the trail.. about six inch diameter.
Campground to Ranger statn dirt road was recently trimmed by the park.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » August 22nd, 2013, 9:07 pm

Trails in great shape, saw a few tire tracks out there tonight and saw one biker on each of the two previous rides... still overgrown but much better than last post and it will only get better.
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » September 5th, 2013, 8:28 pm

One tree still down on L1 south of wixom rd access...5 min job with chainsaw
Tree down on dirt rd south of campground...dnr will eventually get it
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby J/C » September 6th, 2013, 11:57 am

I cut out the tree on Loop 1. I was thinking of mowing with the chapter push trimmer but it's OK now and will only get better as things continue to die back this fall.

John
Asst. Trail Coordinator
J/C

Postby J/C » September 14th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Tomorrow is the start of small game season. Watch for hunters and wear bright colors.
J/C

Postby goin-postal » September 17th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Couple of trees down on loop 3. They are right after the quick climb after the water pump on the curvy down hill.
goin-postal

Postby J/C » September 18th, 2013, 9:41 am

goin-postal wrote:Couple of trees down on loop 3. They are right after the quick climb after the water pump on the curvy down hill.

Last night I cut those two out. Also cut out a big ash that fell across Loop 1.

I rode Loops 1, 2 and 3. In good shape. Equestrians have been trimming and remarking the trail signs. That big bluestem grass is really doing well this year, don't remember it being so tall.

Don't recommend taking the Chief Pontiac Trail across the "Boy Scout Bridge." I hiked thru there the other day, not too wet but very overgrown and my fleece got fullllllll of burrs.
J/C

Postby Hermannator » September 18th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Thanks for all the work J/C. Going to try to run though there this weekend. How is loop 4? Either its the most fun downhill around, or its the most washed one depending on the weather...
Hermannator

Postby Hermannator » September 22nd, 2013, 8:21 pm

Rode loops 3 and 4. Clear, but the first part of the downhill on loop 4 is crazy washed-out. The second and third parts (just before and after Child's lake road) are in good shape. Great Iceman training!
Hermannator

Postby J/C » October 8th, 2013, 9:33 am

The trail over Norton creek has been trimmed, I think by the park.

Trails should be good. Post up if you find any problems.
J/C

Postby ihateplaindave » October 8th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Norton Creek?
ihateplaindave

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments