MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

7/28/07 Maybury

Postby ibisman » July 28th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Trail is fine. One or two mud spots :lol: . It seemed a little slower (35-36 min laps) but great any way. Go for it! :P
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby daffunda » July 29th, 2007, 4:55 pm

2laps, recent rain helped the trail tremendously. :D
daffunda

Trailhead of Maybury

Postby YoshiDawg » July 30th, 2007, 8:10 pm

I have not riden Maybury before just want to know where the trailhead is located, is it on 8 mile rd. or on Beck.
:)
YoshiDawg
YoshiDawg

Postby dirtdog » July 30th, 2007, 8:30 pm

I go in from 8 mile, lots of room to park. Hope this helps.
dirtdog

Postby bike lover » July 31st, 2007, 9:09 am

When I first started riding I was told from the person in the booth that you are supposed to park on 8 Mile. I've done so ever since. If I ride there, I'll go in off Beck, but driving, 8 Mile.

Have fun! Good trail.
bike lover

Postby YoshiDawg » July 31st, 2007, 1:14 pm

Thanks for the info. :)
YoshiDawg
YoshiDawg

Trailhead Parking

Postby jumpstumper » August 1st, 2007, 12:06 pm

Years ago the Beck Road entrance was used to get to the "old" MTB trailhead. With the recent growth of the trail and sport there is actually a sign at the Beck Road parking lot prohibiting bikers from parking there during the normal season. All parking for biking is directed to the 8 mile entrance where the lot is much larger. This was exactly opposite during last year's winter season, probably because the winter loop did not go through the regular trailhead and utilized the old one. We'll have to wait and see regarding what is planned for this winter.
Specialized Epic Marathon (Trails)
Specialized Tarmac Comp Rival (Road)
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (Spare Parts)
jumpstumper

Re: Trailhead Parking

Postby K2Beast » August 1st, 2007, 12:15 pm

jumpstumper wrote:... We'll have to wait and see regarding what is planned for this winter.

:twisted: yes, yes we will. :?
Adam aka K2Beast (FR/DH/XC) .__ :twisted:
GT Zaskar (rigid) - - - - - - - - - \ <
Azonic DS1 (SS/rigid) - - - - (( )) (( ))
Yeti AS-X (DH/Freeride) -------------
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Sherpaboy » August 1st, 2007, 3:26 pm

This was exactly opposite during last year's winter season, probably because the winter loop did not go through the regular trailhead and utilized the old one. We'll have to wait and see regarding what is planned for this winter

Just to clarify the plan parking schedule is as follows:
Summer season April 15th - December 15th please park in the main lot off 8 Mile Road.
Winter season (December 15th - April 15thplease park in the Beck road lot near the stables and park HQ.

This schedule is for a few reasons the main 2 are:
1.) To squelch one possible interaction during the winter between XC skiing and MTBers using the XC groomed trails to get to the trail head. The Beck road offers complete separation for each user activities.

2.) In the summer the Beck road lot is too small to accommodate the larger numbers of MTBers during the normal season. This as well as the Equestrians and horse stable customers filled that little lot easily. So during the summer the parking is moved back to the 8 Mile entrance.

Hope this helps clarify...enjoy the park
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby K2Beast » August 1st, 2007, 3:38 pm

Sherpaboy wrote:
This was exactly opposite during last year's winter season, probably because the winter loop did not go through the regular trailhead and utilized the old one. We'll have to wait and see regarding what is planned for this winter

Just to clarify the plan parking schedule is as follows:
Summer season April 15th - December 15th please park in the main lot off 8 Mile Road.
Winter season (December 15th - April 15thplease park in the Beck road lot near the stables and park HQ.

This schedule is for a few reasons the main 2 are:
1.) To squelch one possible interaction during the winter between XC skiing and MTBers using the XC groomed trails to get to the trail head. The Beck road offers complete separation for each user activities.

2.) In the summer the Beck road lot is too small to accommodate the larger numbers of MTBers during the normal season. This as well as the Equestrians and horse stable customers filled that little lot easily. So during the summer the parking is moved back to the 8 Mile entrance.

Hope this helps clarify...enjoy the park

:? Aren't they going to lift the ban on winter biking this year :?: Have they compiled their winter loop "test data" from last year :?:
:? Were't they supposed to expand the Beck road lot :?: and move the MTB trail head parking back there :?:
:? Where should the snow shoe people park :?:
Curious minds want to know :!: :P
:? And I thought this was all a DONE DEAL :?: :P
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Sherpaboy » August 1st, 2007, 4:49 pm

From our last discussion with Tom (Manager at Maybury) he had submitted a favorable review for winter riding at Maybury to his boss. I'll make sure Dave or I ask him about the answer or response from his boss (Luba Sitar).

As for the expanded parking lot, yes the lot has been given approval for expansion at the Beck road are from Lansing DNR. Now we just need to get some funds and donations to make it happen. But your correct that the long term goal is to have MTB parking off Beck road again (with 8 mile being the overflow or optional lot). This would accomplish our longest goal which is saftey for all the park users (i.e. strollers and dog walkers on the paved path), year round MTBing in the park, and the Maybury trail being a true stacked loop...making the "winter loop" into the "beginner loop".

How this helps...But we do need to ask Tom what the outcome of his report (again which was very favorable - Dave P. read it). When he turned it in he said he didn't see any reason for not allowing the entire trail to be open in 2007/2008 winter season.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby K2Beast » August 1st, 2007, 6:30 pm

:D Thanks Mike :!:
Surly 1x1 (SS/rigid)
Diamondback Drifter
K2Beast

Postby Sherpaboy » August 2nd, 2007, 3:02 pm

No problem...there is a lot to try and stay on top of and a lot of ideas/information out there. It all gets kind of blurry to me after a while.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

maybury

Postby Chef Dave » August 7th, 2007, 9:24 pm

The entire trail will be open for winter riding this year, it will be a "test" again this winter. I would like to thank Tom Bissett, Land Manager and Mike Flack and Jean Steinburg for all the hard work that it took to get this to happen. I would like to thank everyone that has helped on trail days and those that have kept me on task to get this to happen. :D
MMBA Trail Coordinator for Maybury State Park and Titus Racer X rider.
Chef Dave

Re: maybury

Postby WICCMB » August 7th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Chef Dave wrote:The entire trail will be open for winter riding this year, it will be a "test" again this winter. I would like to thank Tom Bissett, Land Manager and Mike Flack and Jean Steinburg for all the hard work that it took to get this to happen. I would like to thank everyone that has helped on trail days and those that have kept me on task to get this to happen. :D

And I'd like to thank Dave Poirier for all of his hard work too! :D
WICCMB
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions