Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby mirrordude » July 30th, 2013, 2:01 pm

This late in the summer the best time to ride Yankee is if there has been recent rain, as it is very sandy in many places if it's been dry for a few or more days (like 60 feet of can't see your rim anymore sandy). Because it's so sandy it dries out really fast, you can usually ride it 4-6 hours after a medium rain, and it will be nicely packed and firm in most places. Anywhere in W Michigan right now you'll be dealing with bugs if you stop -- so don't stop riding :-)

I agree with the poster above that Luton is much better suited for a first timer, or even better the new Merrell trail in Rockford just SE of the 10-mile 131 exit for Rockford (exit 97 I think)
mirrordude

Postby dirtjunkie » July 30th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Did a couple hours of trimming in the pines section + rode a full loop this past Saturday. Found the trail in very good shape. One tree down within the last mile of trail....easy to hop over. Nice to see quite a few riders out there too.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
http://crosscountrycycle.com/
dirtjunkie

Postby Mike_D » July 30th, 2013, 3:38 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I've only ridden a couple of laps at Yankee, but I got the strong impression that it's the west side's version of Pontiac Lake.

I've ridden Pontiac Lake a few times (about 9 years ago) and got the strong impression that it's the east side's version of Yankee :roll:

Basically I agree with your adage Steve! :mrgreen:
Mike_D

Postby defense1 » July 31st, 2013, 9:10 pm

Thanks for the tips on Yankee, I ended up riding Maybury on the other side of the state on Sunday and Robinette's orchard on Tuesday. Had a great time on both but have to confess that the orchard was tough! I definitely want to hit Luton and Merel. Would like for my 9yo son to be able to go and Luton was recommended in another thread.
defense1

Postby kevin g » August 1st, 2013, 6:54 am

Defense,
For a kid just starting out, it is hard to beat the Cannon Township MTB trail. It is my girls' (11 and 8 ) favorite trail. It is short and easy enough to build some confidence for them, but not necessarily boring (but it is very short) for the grownups. The blue and green trails at Luton are also great for beginners.
Last edited by kevin g on August 1st, 2013, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin g

Postby Mike_D » August 1st, 2013, 7:03 am

defense1,
Another great beginner trail (1 that I cut my mtb teeth on) is Bass River west of Allendale. It is basically flat with only 2 very small hills. There are 3 different loops with each 1 getting increasingly longer but all loops together are ~5 miles.
Mike_D

Postby tokomojo » August 1st, 2013, 8:05 am

Mike_D wrote:defense1,
Another great beginner trail (1 that I cut my mtb teeth on) is Bass River west of Allendale. It is basically flat with only 2 very small hills. There are 3 different loops with each 1 getting increasingly longer but all loops together are ~5 miles.

Plus 1 on Bass River.
tokomojo

Postby largemelon » August 5th, 2013, 10:44 am

I made the trek from Novi for a first-time loop at Yankee Springs last Friday. As Jim Price says, "nice area." Nice park and trail as well. Red Bull addict cOnsumer is correct in that it is similar to Pontiac Lake but I might add that it is probably a little easier. The heart attack hills of Pontiac are not as severe here so this 45 year-old body was able to finish in one piece. Don't be too alarmed by the "caution" signs if you ride in the Detroit area as you've seen much worse at Highland, Pontiac, and Pinckney.
largemelon

Postby defense1 » September 11th, 2013, 11:57 am

I rode Yankee this morning (well part of it). Was my first actual ride here and I was solo but the place was good.

This time in my visit, I actually found the mtb trail head/parking area so the start was much better than my first visit. Trail conditions were sandy (as others have expressed) but still somewhat damp due to the torrential rain we had on Monday. For the most part, I didn't sink in the various sand patches unless they were in direct sun exposure. (I think they still had enough moisture to keep me on top)
I did find a couple trees across the trail and unfortunately that is where my ride got cut short. I carried across them but decided to try to clear them. The first was smaller and I was able to drag it off. The second was probably 8" and I tried to cut it with my rope saw. The outer edge of the tree was dead and I cut almost 1/2 way through. Saw kept sticking so I tried jumping on it, pushing and eventually pulling on it. That is where my ride got cut short as I threw my back out. Anywho, the tree won won the battle but is at least rideable now. I did manage to get back on my bike and from there, took the first shortcut and returned to the trailhead. :(

What I did see down there, was beautiful. The ride was good (I was sweating and heart beating hard so I got some of the exercise that I came for). It really is beautiful country down there despite the hungry deer flies.
defense1

Postby dirtjunkie » September 26th, 2013, 8:41 am

Large tree down in the "S-Curve", near mile marker 6, just after the downhill-lefthand sweeper. The corner is kinda blind right now due to foliage. The tree fell at an odd angle and got hung up. Rest of trail is clear.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

Postby dirtjunkie » October 4th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Just a heads up....there is an Xterra being held at Yankee this Sunday, 10/6. Starts at 9:00 a.m....til noon? Using all the mountain bike loop, including the warmup.

Thanks

~ Mark
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

Postby billmania » October 15th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Tree down between mile 4 and mile 5...gonna need to be sawed out.
billmania

Postby dirtjunkie » October 16th, 2013, 4:50 am

billmania wrote:Tree down between mile 4 and mile 5...gonna need to be sawed out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Will a hand saw do it?

Is it prior to the guard rail ...or after?

I can drive my truck back prior to riding tonight....just looking to make it as less of a search as possible.

~ Mark
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

Postby billmania » October 16th, 2013, 9:36 am

Image its about where the blue dot is, its kinda big. you're gonna want a chainsaw.
billmania

Postby dirtjunkie » October 16th, 2013, 10:46 am

billmania wrote:Image its about where the blue dot is, its kinda big. you're gonna want a chainsaw.

Thanks! I'll do what I can.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments