Poto: Rolling Hills Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » June 26th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear this. That section has become my favorite in the park and I'll hate to see it closed.

If there's anything we can do to help please let us know. We built that section in a day and could probably do a reroute in that time as well.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » July 10th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I haven't been out to RHP in about 10 days as I was out of town. Has the staff put up any signs out indicating temporary closure out in the Munger Mounds? Are the west meadows totally over grown now?

Unfortunately, Parttime tells me that he has a lot on his plate right now and won't have the time in the few weeks to get the brush hog and mow out at RHP. The push mower is still in the shop, but it would be nearly impossible to mow the west meadows with it any way. And it doesn't make much sense to try cutting a mile of thick meadows with the Stihl trimmer. Does anyone have a pick-up truck with ramps or a small flatbed trailer to transport the brush hog from Carpenter Brothers Hardware up on Plymouth Road? Or maybe Parttime will let us use his flatbed trailer to pull behind a SUV or pick up? If not, mowing the west meadows may have to wait for a few more weeks. Can anyone help out? Have friend with a trailer or truck with ramps?
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Poto: Rolling Hills Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 13th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Rode a few laps for the first time in several weeks tonight. No issues with water, and the areas that have been mowed/trimmed recently are great. Still a bit of work needed in the orig trail sections, and the newer mound and meadow sections are quite bad with heavy grass at shoulder height in many areas. I skipped the whole Munger loop on my second lap.

There is now signage and brush blocking the new upper ridge line in the mounds. Both the start of the section at the bottom of the hill and the end of the section where it rejoins the end of the skinny mounds are blocked. Looks like the park gave us a timing goal for the reroute too:

Also, the skeeters are out in force. Great night for a ride though.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby mpw29er » July 13th, 2013, 11:24 pm

I went for a ride around 6:00 pm this evening and the trail was nice and dry. There was a decent amount of overgrowth in certain areas as Chris had mentioned. The mosquitos were bad when I stopped to repair a busted chain about 2 miles in, up until that point I had no bug issues.
mpw29er

Postby john_galt » July 20th, 2013, 6:58 pm

michael48197 wrote:I can't image how John_Galt is going to move the main trunk of the tree to make a skinny!! [/b]

I will use magic. And some advice from the master Tree Farm TC...
john_galt

Postby G.Cook » July 23rd, 2013, 6:37 pm

The line I try to get is as heavy duty as possible.
As for service I go to a shop in Pinckney. It's not cheap. I had the same problem and it was the air cleaner/ filter if I recall correctly.
G.Cook

Postby michael48197 » July 23rd, 2013, 8:03 pm

We have finally arranged for ChrisInYpsi to get the brush mower from Action Rental on Carpenter Road for us to use this weekend at RHP. The mower at Carpenter Hardware off Plymouth Road is broken. I'll arrange to keep it for Friday and Saturday so that we can do all of the mowing needed at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek. I plan to spend much of the day on doing what needs to be done at RHP. I welcome any help that anyone can give on Friday. I have the Stihl trimmer that others could use. Any volunteers out there to take the brush mower for a trip around Hewens Creek on Saturday? Hopefully I can get Steve Wyatt to find a place to store it at Rolling Hills overnight.

Let me know if you're available to help me on Friday please.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby mpw29er » August 10th, 2013, 8:09 pm

I spun a few laps at dusk and the trail was prime. Thanks to everyone who has been working!

mpw29er

Postby dnale » August 10th, 2013, 8:26 pm

I rode earlier today too. Just a reminder that no matter how many times you ride a trail, there is still a chance for a crash. Evidence today was on the last section of trail before the water park I did a nice over the bars trick and landed on a stump just off the trail. I'm definitely stiff tonight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby ChrisInYpsi » August 11th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Was away all weekend and rode a few trails in/near Midland, but spun a couple laps thru RHP tonight when I got home. I've been on a mission to ride as many trails as possible this year, but its always great to ride your "home trail" that you know every inch of.

RHP is in generally very good shape. The summer dry season sand is out in the usual spots, but there's more than I remember from prior years in the center of the crater. Looks like a few folks washed out in the sharp corner. Take caution down there until it firms up. And if anyone has a brush cutter out in RHP or Hewens we could use another pass on each side of the trail by the E-W fence out to the Munger mounds. Not a huge deal but it would be good to open it up a bit more to keep the leaning slappers away.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby michael48197 » November 13th, 2013, 9:00 pm

With the Black Friday Ride coming up on 11/29, there are a few projects I would like to complete beforehand. I intend to work on them this weekend and next if necessary and if the weather allows.

On Friday, I plan to modify the small mound in the crater at 1.0 Mile. Originally, the trail tread veered slightly right at the top of the mound and back to the left. Over the past two years, however, riders have been going over the top of the little mound. This summer it started to get very sandy and I even fell a couple of times on it. So, I plan to put a small log at the top of the mound and force traffic to the right back to the original line.

On Saturday, I want to start a bigger and more important project: Munger Mound Ridge Re-Route. I spent some time with Steve Wyatt last weekend and we agree to a modified line to avoid the back yard of the RHP neighbor's yard. Steve also found some pressure treated lumber for us to use in building up the bench cut that will be needed on the down slope off the ridge. So, if you have the time and energy this weekend, come out and give me a hand. Please let me know in advance if you can make it either Friday or Saturday.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 20th, 2013, 2:51 pm

RHP management has informed me that they will conducting controlled burns over the next few days. I hope they are done by the time of the Black Friday Ride next week.

"Areas planned for burns are Woodlot (where the red tree house is), near pond (I think this is the bluff over the pond), and both walnut prairie and underwood prairie (not sure but I think these are the open meadow inside the paved path near the start of the west meadow loop. Can't say what is order of burn or if able to get to all at this point. Steve"

I don't think they will be burning the west meadow.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby michael48197 » November 20th, 2013, 2:55 pm

REMINDER: Fifth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride

UPDATE: 29 people signed up so far so it should be a good crowd!!!

Come out to the Fifth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/29 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is great for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a fun way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 13 miles long covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 5 miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at either trail, Hewens Creek is a flat, winding ride through meadows and new growth forest and great for beginning riders. The RHP trail on the other hand is very appropriately named. The trial twists and turns through 5 miles of forest and rolling hills that provide a great opportunity to improve on your bike handling skills especially on the 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP which includes beautiful open meadows and some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at about Noon. Please register in advance at Event Brite http://www.eventbrite.com/event/9026232705 to attend so a good estimate of riders can be made for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/30 at 10 AM. Look for changes on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website or the Poto Yahoo! Group Email list.

Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot - enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavillion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

There will again be a gate charge this year to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as a discount for non-Washtenaw residents was arranged.

Last but definitiely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.

RollingHillsMTB@gmail.com
Last edited by michael48197 on November 22nd, 2013, 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 28th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Sign is removed. Trail is good to go.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby c0nsumer » November 28th, 2013, 9:50 pm

michael48197 wrote:Weather should be perfect tomorrow....30 F, totally sunny, minimal wind... should be a great day for a group ride. 60 people registered which is a record. I definitely didn't buy enough refreshment. If you have any to spare bring it along. Looking forward to a great day tomorrow.

I just registered, and I'm looking forward to it. :D Long drive, but I've never been there before, so I'm keen on seeing it.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions