WMMBA: Cannon Township MTB Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: WMMBA: Cannon Township MTB Trail

Postby cramer » October 26th, 2012, 8:38 am

Looks like nice weather tomorrow for the trail work day in the morning!
cramer

Postby cramer » October 28th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Big thanks to hard working members of the Cannon Brewing team for all of the trail work. Used an antique Simplicity with a sicklebar mower to cut down the tall grass and weeds at the start and end of the trail. We also built a few mild jumps and cut a tree horizontally to make a skinny. Made it low to the ground so it will be a great place for people to practice for the log-ness monster at the Merrell Trail without much risk. Didn't have enough volunteers to make the berms yet, maybe in the spring. Jumps will probably settle a bit and need some fine tuning.
cramer

Postby cramer » October 30th, 2012, 7:39 am

Some pictures showing the recent changes. The jumps turned out perfect. Hit them last night and got some air, others on cross bikes just rolled over them so they work either way so less skilled riders won't have any trouble. The skinny thing is tricky. I tried it on a night ride last night and as I suspected, your rear wheel slides off the side because of that turn. Next time I'll track stand and shift the wheel to the right a little at that point and I think that will work. No penalty for falling off though, you can just keep riding. Trying to make a safe place for people to practice these skills.

cramer

Postby c0nsumer » October 30th, 2012, 8:10 am

That's a beautiful looking skinny.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby galaxydean » October 30th, 2012, 9:35 am

NICE job on that skinny!
dean
galaxydean

Postby cramer » November 1st, 2012, 3:27 pm

I rode it successfully today. Not sure if it's required but what I did was stop and trackstand for a second and scootch my rear wheel over to the right a few inches on that turn, then continued riding.

- the times I tried just riding it my wheel always fell off to the left side around the corner.
cramer

Postby whitechickenchili » July 22nd, 2013, 2:16 pm

Rode it last week with my wife and brother. The trail is not as bumpy as it used to be, and was alot of fun to rip through. It could use a little cleaning up to make it really fast. There is alot of tall grass overgrowing the trail in the beginning that needs cleaned up too. I'm going to start hitting it more often though.
whitechickenchili

Postby John_H » July 23rd, 2013, 11:31 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. Quite a cool little trail. I imagine some trimming is planned.
John_H

Postby cramer » July 24th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Yeah, for sure needs trimming at the start and finish in particular, sorry about that. Planning on getting that done real soon. I was putting it off hoping to get my new antique (1947) sicklebar mower working so I could use that but it's taking a bit longer than I was hoping so I'll hit it with my weed whacker soon. It also needs a sign at the start to make it easier to find the trail. Waiting on the township for that and the township is waiting on some potential grant money before moving forward with the park development that will include a sign. Hopefully by next year it will be done.

On the plus side, the jumps we put in last fall have held up really well and work great. If you build up some speed you can really launch off them but if you just ride them at normal speed they can be safely ridden over by anyone I think. The log skinny is also really challenging yet very little risk being so low to the ground.
cramer

Postby whitechickenchili » July 24th, 2013, 7:19 pm

I must have completely blew by the skinny without even knowing it. I hope to make it back there the end of this week to buzz around it a few times.
whitechickenchili

Postby cramer » July 27th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Got out there today with my family for a few hours. Took advantage of some great "working weather" with the unusually cool temps. Cleared the downed branches and trees, trimmed the face and knee slappers and I trimmed all of the tall grass and weeds at the start and finish. Should be good to go now.

Reminder- this trail makes a great staging area for people combining Luton with Ski / Game area trails. Centrally located with a nice paved parking lot, nice public restrooms and drinking fountain on the east side of township building, plus a grocery store across the street that sells good beer. Hopefully we'll have a covered picnic area built in the next year or two on the same property.
cramer

Postby cramer » November 16th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Couple of new features we added just before the tri-fecta tour this fall. One is a skinny that is pretty low to the ground and keeps getting thinner as you go. The other is a cedar bridge similar to the one at Merrell Trail that goes up in the middle of that trail, only we made it twice as wide so it can be used as a skill builder before tackling the one at Merrell Trail. It's still kind of steep / tall though so use the bypass if you're not ready for it. With the new features plus the jumps and skinny we built last year, it's for sure a lot more fun and interesting out there.

There are three pretty big trees down right now, will try to get them cut out soon. Seems like a lot of pine trees dying out there. If someone else cuts them out, let me know to save me a trip.

We have plans to extend the paved trail this spring or early summer. It will continue through Townsend Park, up some big hills across the street, then cross Bear Creek and end in Downtown Cannonsburg right by the Honey Creek Inn. Our long term goal is to connect to the Ada trail some day on that end and the White Pine in the other direction, but that's pretty far into the future.
cramer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments