Poto: Sharon Mills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Sharon Mills

Postby hotspurr » April 9th, 2013, 7:41 am

Hi GLR,

Glad you like the trail. The trail currently deviates a bit from the map for a couple of reasons. The north side of the old road bed in the middle of the area is too narrow and rocky for the riding mower and needs some manual work ot bring it up to the quality of the reat of the trail. The area you mentioned has a section blocked by a big blown down tree that needs to be cleared; plus a section of it is right next to the farmed area and is very rough. It needs some work before the mower can easliy get through it. Mike Casey form Aberdeen bike shop is organizing a crew to address these and other minor issues with the trail. If you would like to help out, please contact him in Chelsea.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby glr » April 15th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Tried to ride tonight, seems the trail doesn't drain well. Had to walk a lot, but I did manage to do some face slapper removal and cut a large down limb. Maybe try it again next week if it doesn't rain to much.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 3rd, 2013, 7:56 am

Anyone know if this trail has dried out yet? Wouldn't mind checking it out the weekend if it's not too wet.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby G.Cook » May 3rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

Chris,the guys at Aberdeen might have some info. Ask Mike Casey.
G.Cook

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 3rd, 2013, 3:27 pm

Thanks Greg. I just called and they thought it was still too wet. They recommended doing Poto instead.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 12th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Rode this trail for the first time today. Everything is pretty dry. Good trail for a fatbike, some areas are pretty bumpy or a bit overgrown. Only one small spot is a slightly muddy. Nice trail, I like the river and farmland views here.

ImageImageImage

More pics here: http://sb.smugmug.com/Sports/Sharon-Mil ... &k=wLvmtpr
Steve_Balogh

Postby glr » May 12th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Nice photo's, did you get a new bike? I see they got the viewing platforms done. Was the wet spot behind the plowed field? If you ride there in the evening you can surprise the fish close to shore. I almost got splashed in April out there.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby Geff » May 13th, 2013, 11:59 am

Nice to see people continue to check it out a bit.
Geff

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 13th, 2013, 6:50 pm

glr wrote:Nice photo's, did you get a new bike? I see they got the viewing platforms done. Was the wet spot behind the plowed field? If you ride there in the evening you can surprise the fish close to shore. I almost got splashed in April out there.

I added the Fatback a little over a year now. I typically use the Wildfire for paved trail/dirt mix with Knard tires. The wet spot was close to the river in the field - pretty solid though. The scenery makes up for lack of big hills or techy features - I love the open trail, the Mill is an added bonus.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 18th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Rode this trail for the first time today. The sections near the trailhead were mowed recently, but some of the sections further back are pretty overgrown and I lost the trail in a few areas. There are 3 trees down across the trail that will need a chainsaw to clear.

Nice views by the river and the meadows. I even stumbled onto a geocache in the crotch of a tree. There was a wedding going on in the mill area, and it couldn't have been a more perfect day to get hitched.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby hotspurr » May 22nd, 2013, 5:32 pm

Hi All,

Trail maintenance is a bit behind this spring for two reasons: 1) our trail coordinator is recovering from rotator cuff surgery and can't do any heavy work, and 2) the riding mower he uses to mow the trail is temporarily out of commission. We are looking at getting the mower fixed. In the meantime, we could use help with mowing the trail and other activities. If you can help out contact me (734-426-5737) or Mike (734-475-8203).

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby BusDriver » June 2nd, 2013, 6:13 am

Help is on the way.....
Life Behind Bars

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby glr » July 14th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Any one been out here lately?
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby hotspurr » July 25th, 2013, 6:40 am

Hi All,

A single track path was mowed around the whole trail last week and additional mowing is plannned for this week. Also, several fallen trees were removed. Thanks to Trail Coordinator Dan for all the hard work.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby glr » September 3rd, 2013, 8:30 am

looking at trying my new single speed out there this week, anyone been there lately?
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments