CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby c0nsumer » July 8th, 2013, 9:02 am

iamkickstand wrote:
xycarp wrote:I've been camping in Holly for the the past few years on the 4th. Every year we ride Grubbers Grid, and never really enjoy it. Its a nice trail, just a bit good choppy for my tastes... This year we decided to explore the other loops after our grubber loop for the first time... *beep*, I like that West loop / tech loop / lake loop. :).

Nice flow, fast and fun. We went back again today and did a couple more laps, and will likely again tomorrow too. I am just kicking myself for skipping it in previous years... It is definitely a trail worth riding. Nice work out there boys. :). Its obviously a well maintained trail.

The West, North, Tech, and Lake loops all have a VERY different feel from the East Loop, though the east loop does have a certain charm, the other loops are much more fun in my opinion. I think so many people associate holdridge with grubers grinder that the other loops don't get ridden as often from any but people more local/familiar with the trail system.

Last year I rode East / Gruber's followed by West. After the plodding turns/grinds of East the flowing, fast, wider sections of West felt like being on a highway. It was a pretty nifty contrast. Holdridge is a really nice trail system.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby SAuge » July 8th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Did three things this evening on the west loop:

- There was that tree down around the one mile marker. I sawed the two sides and somewhat to the side of the trail. Someone did make a log pile on the side to ride over it. So I left part of it behind with a cut on the side, so if someone wanted to rip it out - they can. But I felt the log pile was an interesting feature. There is a good five feet or more opened on the trail.

- Another downed tree was leaning into the trail - was higher before but had settled. So sawed that one out.

- And I attempted to reinforce a mud hole out there by sawing up another downed tree. They are some good five and six inch thick blocks and I think it will be OK even when it is dry.
SAuge

Postby Spak » July 9th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Rode North and West today. A lot of greasy spots, really slow ride. Me and my bike are both caked in mud. Had a huge downpour right after we finished and packed up to leave.
Spak

Postby SAuge » July 11th, 2013, 9:43 am

Sunny the next seven days!!!
SAuge

Postby turbotoad » July 11th, 2013, 4:14 pm

SAuge wrote:Sunny the next seven days!!!

Man, I hope so. Rode the West and North loops today around 2:30ish and there where a number of sloppy places. Not just the usual spots but even some places I can't ever remember seeing mud/grease. West was not horrible but enough to make it a "slower" ride. North was a mess....I can't believe it's the middle of July and the trails have not dried out yet! What a F'd-up summer as far as wet conditions. :cry:
turbotoad

Postby Josh McCreedy » July 12th, 2013, 6:53 am

By 6:00 the trail was drying nicely and will improve today. There are a lot of little potholes and mud holes that are being widened by riders. I suggest that people wanting to help with mud scrape out a notch on the downhill side of the hole so that water can exit. Throw the soil from the notch back in the pit. Filling all the mud holes with sticks or logs (we used to call it "corduroy") tends to hold in water and when the trail dries, it is a flow killer with no technical or fun value.

The corridor on the West Loop is looking good.
Josh McCreedy

Postby SAuge » July 12th, 2013, 3:03 pm

On the Lakeshore trail, there are some trees (really branches, but they are off the ground) down.
SAuge

Postby iamkickstand » July 12th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Josh McCreedy wrote:By 6:00 the trail was drying nicely and will improve today. There are a lot of little potholes and mud holes that are being widened by riders. I suggest that people wanting to help with mud scrape out a notch on the downhill side of the hole so that water can exit. Throw the soil from the notch back in the pit. Filling all the mud holes with sticks or logs (we used to call it "corduroy") tends to hold in water and when the trail dries, it is a flow killer with no technical or fun value.

The corridor on the West Loop is looking good.

Agree, piling up sticks in mudholes is not the way to fix them. It's miserable to ride on.
iamkickstand

Postby Critter7r » July 12th, 2013, 5:17 pm

iamkickstand wrote:Agree, piling up sticks in mudholes is not the way to fix them. It's miserable to ride on.

However, if there's a small stream crossing the trail causing a mudhole (like in the spring), it's not horrible if you lay 1- to 2-inch sticks across the trail in the direction of water travel (usually perpendicular to the trail).
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby SAuge » July 13th, 2013, 6:43 am

Cleared out the tree branches on Lakeshore loop.

Trimmed a bit on west near the first bridge.

Told of a tree (thick one) down across the trail on east loop around mile 2.
SAuge

Postby Critter7r » July 13th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Cleared a deadfall on the downhill just before Orchard reconnects with the return.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby turbotoad » July 13th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Yes there is a large tree down just after the #2 sign on the East. At least it was there at about 1pm-ish. Whole loop is dry except for a couple mid-turn mud holes on Orchard.
turbotoad

Postby SAuge » July 14th, 2013, 11:53 am

Cleared the tree on east #2. That was a BIG one! First time out there I was glad to have a large bar!
SAuge

Postby SAuge » July 16th, 2013, 9:47 am

For the casual reader, an email I got today:

*HOLLY/HOLDRIDGE TRAIL DAY* this Sat 7/20 10am-2pm

Meet at the Holly/Holdridge trailhead for a Trail Day - Hess Rd, Holly, MI, 48442

We will be working exclusively on East Loop.

*** SPECIFIC HELP NEEDED:

2 bursh hogs are needed to complete ground trimming either on or preferably before trail day (this Saturday).

Can you help with Home Depot Brush Hog rental and transport (or just transport)?

Do you have other ~24" brush hog options available (equipment in good working order)?

If so, please contact the TC's via email to holdridge@cramba.org.

Rental expense will be reimbursed via CRAMBA.

Home Depot Brush Hog Rental:
> $70 - 24 hours
> Must be a Home Depot location with Tools Rental
> Most locations only have 1 brush hog available
> Must deposit $150 via credit card
> Must verify equipment is in good working order
http://homedepot.com/rentals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kq7qBuA8Q

Participants should bring sturdy shoes, leather work gloves, eye protection, bug deterrent, and drinking water.

Holdridge trail maintenance is 100% dependent on volunteer efforts.

Take some time out to give back to the trails that you enjoy!

Ron Arnott/Andy Fraser
Holdridge Trail Coordinators
Holly State Recreation Area
holdridge@cramba.org

CRAMBA - Clinton River Mountain Bike Association
A Chapter of IMBA - International Mountain Biking Association

IF YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS DISTRIBUTION,
PLEASE REPLY WITH “REMOVE” IN THE SUBJECT FIELD.
SAuge

Postby andyf » July 17th, 2013, 8:56 am

Thanks for posting. I had forgotten to post in the forum. So far, we only have commitment to rent one bursh hog. One more still needed. -Andy.
andyf

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments