CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby Spak » July 9th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Rode North and West today. A lot of greasy spots, really slow ride. Me and my bike are both caked in mud. Had a huge downpour right after we finished and packed up to leave.
Spak

Postby SAuge » July 13th, 2013, 6:43 am

Cleared out the tree branches on Lakeshore loop.

Trimmed a bit on west near the first bridge.

Told of a tree (thick one) down across the trail on east loop around mile 2.
SAuge

Postby SAuge » July 16th, 2013, 9:47 am

For the casual reader, an email I got today:

*HOLLY/HOLDRIDGE TRAIL DAY* this Sat 7/20 10am-2pm

Meet at the Holly/Holdridge trailhead for a Trail Day - Hess Rd, Holly, MI, 48442

We will be working exclusively on East Loop.

*** SPECIFIC HELP NEEDED:

2 bursh hogs are needed to complete ground trimming either on or preferably before trail day (this Saturday).

Can you help with Home Depot Brush Hog rental and transport (or just transport)?

Do you have other ~24" brush hog options available (equipment in good working order)?

If so, please contact the TC's via email to holdridge@cramba.org.

Rental expense will be reimbursed via CRAMBA.

Home Depot Brush Hog Rental:
> $70 - 24 hours
> Must be a Home Depot location with Tools Rental
> Most locations only have 1 brush hog available
> Must deposit $150 via credit card
> Must verify equipment is in good working order
http://homedepot.com/rentals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kq7qBuA8Q

Participants should bring sturdy shoes, leather work gloves, eye protection, bug deterrent, and drinking water.

Holdridge trail maintenance is 100% dependent on volunteer efforts.

Take some time out to give back to the trails that you enjoy!

Ron Arnott/Andy Fraser
Holdridge Trail Coordinators
Holly State Recreation Area
holdridge@cramba.org

CRAMBA - Clinton River Mountain Bike Association
A Chapter of IMBA - International Mountain Biking Association

IF YOU WISH TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS DISTRIBUTION,
PLEASE REPLY WITH ?REMOVE? IN THE SUBJECT FIELD.
SAuge

Postby iamkickstand » July 18th, 2013, 6:28 pm

2 trees on north loop. One is bunny hoppable, the other is not. Bigger tree that needs immediate attention is just before the final bridge heading out to the parking lot. Just after the bench.

West loop, the skinny just after the two mile mark now has had the "ramp" removed, primarily unrideable.

Skinny that used to go up and over the log shortly after aforementioned skinny and right before the rock pile/jump has been completely knocked down again, I have fixed it nurmerous times but keeps being removed, can't figure out why since it is an option line.

West loop bandit line on the switchbacks before the first long skinny re-opened. I piled logs and sticks up on it again, but I'm sure they'll get removed again.
iamkickstand

Postby andyf » July 20th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Found a phone in the road today right near the trail head. Must have fallen off someone's roof as they were driving out.

Either that... or one of the adventure racer's dropped it. It looked like they were headed down Hess road after coming out of West loop... assume they were taking some road route back to 7 Lakes.
andyf

Postby turbotoad » July 24th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Yeah, I almost impaled myself on that one near the lake! Comes up very fast on a curve. It's passable if you notice it in time but I came up on it too fast and ran into the branches. Headtube took the brunt of it. Also, that last climb out of Lake Loop has become very eroded and washed out from the past hard rain. It's the first time in two years that I didn't clear the climb due to getting caught up in the sandy rutted mess. The low leaning tree at the top makes you hate the climb even more :P It's been there for quite a while but think it moved a few inches in the past week. North loop still muddy and drop in from parking lot has become eroded and chopped up. :evil: Turtle Trail has a low leaning tree just as the trail starts. A bypass has begun to get past it :(
turbotoad

Postby Critter7r » July 27th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Lake Loop was clear today. But holy cow that last climb is TORN up really bad. I was trying to visualize some routes around it, and I think a reroute would have to start before the rock ledge, and probably go to the right.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby lawn dart » July 29th, 2013, 7:09 pm

iamkickstand wrote:...but the idea that you'll ever build the perfect maintenance free erosion free trail is ridiculous.

True, but careful planning and scrupulous maintenance can get you close.

Addison Oaks has been laid-out in such a way that there are very few "fall line" sections of trail. There are no steep gullys in the trail for rainwater to sluice through. Gutter-like troughs line many portions of the trail to direct water away, and buried culverts provide drainage for low areas or places where water may pool. A variety of bridges span creeks, ponds, and chronically wet areas.

Plus, Trail-Angel Pauly provides near-maniacal attention to the trail. The results? A highly-rated & enjoyable trail that can be ridden the day after a serious downpour, and rarely suffers debilitating tear-ups.

The sad fact about our sport is that some of the most challenging, adrenaline-pumping sections of trail are almost always maintenance whores.

Trail day, anyone?
lawn dart

Postby SAuge » August 1st, 2013, 7:30 pm

Trees are cut - trail was beautiful!
SAuge

Postby turbotoad » August 1st, 2013, 8:00 pm

Rode West today at around 5-ish...Started out sort of dry but soon got caught up in a 10 minute thunderstorm. Trail was clear of any downed trees but plenty of wet spots and greasy corners! North was a disaster.....I should have known better than to even attempt the North that shortly after a rain :(
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » August 3rd, 2013, 11:05 pm

We rode West, Lake, Tech & North loops today for the first time. All were in really good condition (except for about 15' of mud on North), and really fun.
lawn dart

Postby lawn dart » August 7th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Rode West & Tech a couple of times this evening. Cleared deadfall at .5 and 1.5 miles. The rest of the trail was clear except for a few face slappers. Dozens of muddy areas, which is curious because most of them could be easily configured to drain naturally. We skipped North figuring it would be a mess.

I'm in if there is a trail day planned. These trails are too fun to be ruined by a passing shower.
lawn dart

Postby andyf » August 12th, 2013, 7:06 pm

*HOLDRIDGE TRAIL DAY* this Sat Aug 17 10am-2pm

Meet at the Holdridge trail head for a Trail Day - Hess Rd, Holly, MI, 48442

There are numerous possible work projects for all three loops dependent on volunteer turnout (like the one quoted below):

lawn dart wrote:Dozens of muddy areas, which is curious because most of them could be easily configured to drain naturally

Holdridge trails are 100% maintained by volunteer efforts.

Take some time out to give back to the trails that you enjoy!

Bring work gloves, eye protection, bug repellent, and water.

Ron Arnott/Andy Fraser
Holdridge Trail Coordinators
Holly State Recreation Area
holdridge@cramba.org
andyf

Postby SAuge » August 14th, 2013, 7:59 am

After I went out cutting, I've been thinking of cutting the log in half across the trail and use the waste product as a bridge on and off the log. Just an idea.

(Note, I'm not cutting the latest log!)
SAuge

Postby F7Cannon » August 17th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Thanks for all the hard work on this trail. Made it out today for the first time, rode all loops except for turtle. The tech loop is a blast and the west loop is a real workout. Trail was in great shape, thanks again. That is a lot of trail out there to maintain.
F7Cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions