Mid-State: Bennett Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Bennett Park

Postby jacked » May 22nd, 2013, 8:57 pm

Last tree gone. Also started working on that pile of trees at the north end of Hardwoods that forced a re-route out onto the road a year or so ago. Should have that finished by the end of the weekend.
jacked

Postby eurocycle01 » May 23rd, 2013, 1:27 pm

Dave,
Rode the pines and hardwood section yesterday. Both sections in good shape.
Will try and get out in the next few days and touchup a few corners in the pines
with overgrowth starting already. Thanks for your hard work and we'll try to help as much as
we can this year.
Dave P.
eurocycle01

Postby benl » June 2nd, 2013, 10:48 pm

Rode today with a friend; the trail's in great shape with no downed trees - thanks!

There are a few sections in Jungle II and to a much lesser extent, the end of the hardwoods and the gully, that are completely overgrown by some large bushes. It was hard to tell we were even on the trail!

At least the nettles aren't out yet. When we rode last year, it was like a bath of fire! Thankfully you have the river to clean off in - we've found the river gully near the pedestrian bridge to be an excellent end-of-ride swimming hole.
benl

Postby jacked » June 3rd, 2013, 6:37 am

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how the last couple of storms had treated the woods. The trimmer is coming out this week again for just the areas you had mentioned. Thanks for riding.

We'll be starting Wednesday night group rides back up on June 19th.
jacked

Postby jacked » June 7th, 2013, 9:43 pm

I'll be riding the 100 miles of nowhere tomorrow on the paved paths at Bennett Park. Come ride a lap or two with me and then hit the trails! And if you want to log a little service time, I can bring the trimmer and you can give back to the park!

Earlier this week I did hit the "Bamboo" section at the end of Jungle 1, sort of looks like a mini version of Fern Gully after I went through with the whip, but should be good for the season. I also hit most of the heavy stuff in the Gully. The tail end still could use some love, but it is all rideable. Plenty of places to run the whip left if you would be so inclined!
jacked

Postby rvd » July 12th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Rode two laps this afternoon. Trailbed is in great shape and easy to follow (only briefly took a wrong turn in the grass under the power lines). A bit more green than other trails in the area, but nothing too outrageous and pretty typical for this trail this time of year anyway.

Bennett has a lot of character and is worth a stop when you are in the area (only few people seem to ride it, based on Strava leaderboard at least). Probably the longest 7 mile trail out there. A true XC grinder with all its momentum-halting twists and turns...

[edit: it appears not everybody enjoys this trail: http://app.strava.com/activities/64680792# - seriously?]
rvd

Postby jacked » July 12th, 2013, 10:52 pm

We had four of out there on Wednesday with trimmers followed by a ride. Trimmer issues suggested we ride more than trim. The power line should be taken care this coming week along with the end of trillium and the end of north shore. One of the guys with us had his gps going and realized the KOM for the pines is within reach.... it should change hands soon.
jacked

Postby jacked » July 12th, 2013, 10:56 pm

rvd wrote:[edit: it appears not everybody enjoys this trail: http://app.strava.com/activities/64680792# - seriously?]

Wow not everyone gets to claim to be TC of the "Worst Trail Ever". I feel somewhat honored.
jacked

Postby jonw9 » July 13th, 2013, 6:01 am

jacked wrote:
rvd wrote:[edit: it appears not everybody enjoys this trail: http://app.strava.com/activities/64680792# - seriously?]

Wow not everyone gets to claim to be TC of the "Worst Trail Ever". I feel somewhat honored.

But at least we know where this guy lives...
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby jacked » July 13th, 2013, 5:34 pm

I think a T Shirt is in order and maybe some stickers!
jacked

Postby Zoo1424 » August 3rd, 2013, 9:25 pm

I made it out to Bennett Park today for the first time. I really enjoyed this trail. Reminded me a bit of Ithaca. I think you guys are doing a wonderful job with the space/terrain you have. I found it to be very well marked as well, I think I only got turned around once, when that fist section of the Hardwoods runs into the gravel road & turns back around. One thing I really liked is how the downhill sections, of which there are not many, allow you to enjoy the quick rush of speed. No obstacles, etc at the bottom. I'm not against those, but when you don't have many chances to really pick up speed, I appreciate you leaving those sections open.
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby reidabel » September 8th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Trail's in pretty good shape for riding right now. North Shore has a tree down and some hanging branches (in a different spot) that look like they'll require a chainsaw to clear. Small tree down in The Gully, where the trail is beside the road near the Fort - you might be able to see it peering in from the road. Another small tree down in Jungle 1 (I think, maybe it's Jungle 2, I'm not sure) not far from the open field that the historic recreation tents were in today, but before the crossing of the trail that goes into that field. Vegetation could use cutting back in the Hardwoods. Everything else was good and I could tell a lot of vegetation had been cut back. Thanks for the work ...
reidabel

Postby jacked » September 9th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the update. We'll hopefully have the trees out this week.

reidabel wrote:Trail's in pretty good shape for riding right now. North Shore has a tree down and some hanging branches (in a different spot) that look like they'll require a chainsaw to clear. Small tree down in The Gully, where the trail is beside the road near the Fort - you might be able to see it peering in from the road. Another small tree down in Jungle 1 (I think, maybe it's Jungle 2, I'm not sure) not far from the open field that the historic recreation tents were in today, but before the crossing of the trail that goes into that field. Vegetation could use cutting back in the Hardwoods. Everything else was good and I could tell a lot of vegetation had been cut back. Thanks for the work ...
jacked

Postby jacked » November 18th, 2013, 1:45 pm

I won't be able to get out to BP until just before the Thanks Giving Holiday. I was planning on clearing some leaves that traditionally get a bit on the deep side in a few sections, but now with the winds of the last day or two I suspect there will be some limbs/trees to clear out. Please post up if you heit the trail and let us know what and where the big stuff is.

Thanks,

David
jacked

Postby jacked » April 13th, 2014, 6:14 pm

This thread has been as quite as I suspect BP has been.

Two of us walked part of the trail in reverse today removing some of the bigger dead falls and major derailleur breakers and in general scuffing the trail so it can be found beneath the leaves. North Shore, Trillium and half of the gully are relatively clear. The plan is to walk the rest before this saturdays MMMBA meeting at Buddies so we can give an accurate trail update as well as schedule a trail day.

David
jacked

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments