Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » May 28th, 2013, 9:35 am

I tried it for the 1st time this year, last saturday, the monsoon rains we had in april really took a toll on the trial. And a jeep got into the trail on the south side of price road and left some deep ruts so riding down the middle of the ruts is the only option. It is still really muddy with a bunch of wet areas and lots of downed trees. We will need a long dry period for it to dry up out there.
wannabee

Postby wannabee » June 24th, 2013, 9:23 am

anyone been out here lately? Is it still underwater?
wannabee

Postby ted1969 » July 9th, 2013, 10:01 am

was out yesterday and it's just a mess.. mainly stayed on the area north of Price Road - but very muddy and a lot of growth.. a few downed limbs, which I can live with - but the parts I were on were almost un-rideable..
ted1969

Postby wannabee » July 11th, 2013, 6:02 am

ya, i went out saturday and rode the outer loop, counted 11 downed trees and the grass is so high in a lot of places it is nearly unrideable. Darn shame from what is was last year. It was way dryer than the last time i was out though.
wannabee

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 11th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Hi guys, I had mark and bill on the trails yesterday and today cutting trees off the trail and mowing behind them. When I get into work at 5 I will give an update of what they finished. How is the glass hill in back doing? Still eroding? Clinton county had a search and rescue training a few weeks back on the trails so the ruts may be from them. I have not been on trails this year since kiwanis was out in the spring. Were gonna try to get the trails back in shape, lots of rain out here this year has been the main problem. I might have msu out in the fall for a trail project. We haven't forgotten about the trails, just been busy, thanks for still coming out. Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 11th, 2013, 10:04 pm

The guys said they got most of the trail cleared of fallen trees and mowed. Probably 90 % done. They said it looked pretty good.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby wannabee » July 12th, 2013, 6:11 am

Awesome, thank you Dave, if there is anything that i can lend a hand in please let me know. I will pm you my contact info. thanks again. The glass hill was fine when i went thru on saturday.
wannabee

Postby ted1969 » July 19th, 2013, 7:08 am

wow - thanks so much for your work, Dave. Will likely head out this weekend.
ted1969

Postby owosso bob » July 24th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Thank you DNR Dave and your crew I rode the trail today and it is in excellent shape , the new bypasses really work well , especially the one that cut off the north end by the horse trail . The north side of Price Road is in the best shape it has been in years . The glass hill needs a little work but nothing major . There is a big tree down on the south side of Price road just up the hill from where we put in the culvert last year and one a ways down from that . The south side needs a little trimming but nothing major . Love the ravine on the ridge line , that thing is instant fun .
owosso bob

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 25th, 2013, 3:58 pm

The guys have another half day of work on the south side of Price Rd then everything should be mowed, trimmed.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 27th, 2013, 1:29 am

Trails should be all set except for the tire tracks on the south side of Price Rd. The guys said the trail is even dry where it crosses the boat launch road.

Have fun the temps are great for a ride and we only got a few sprinkles of rain tonight (Friday July 26)

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » July 31st, 2013, 6:21 pm

Rain all day today (Wednesday)

This Saturday August 3 is The Legend trail run/marathon at the park. 800-900 runners expected.
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 21st, 2013, 8:36 pm

Bob and the guys did some work installing culvert and some trenching along the trail just off of the boat launch entrance road where it floods every spring. Looks good, we'll have to wait for a lot of rain or spring time to see how effective it is.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby DNR Sleepy Hollow » August 21st, 2013, 8:37 pm

I'm having a class from MSU out Sept 7 to work on fixing the culverts and the glass hill. Possibly the ruts in the trail south of Price Rd.

Dave
DNR Sleepy Hollow

Postby owosso bob » August 24th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Rode the trail today and it is in very good shape . Most of the grass has died off and it seems there are more riders now and the trail is really smoothing out making it a much faster trail . After the culverts are fixed it will be good to go till the snow flies .
owosso bob

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments