CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby Critter7r » June 4th, 2013, 8:04 pm

The guy I saw on West Saturday with a chainsaw cutting one of the downed trees was stockier than I remember Ron. So I don't think it was him. If it was, I feel bad for not stopping to chat. I did say hi and "thanks for the help!" as I was riding past, though, I think he had earmuffs on and probably didn't hear me.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby andyf » June 5th, 2013, 6:53 pm

BTW Ron... I did clear that mess on Lake Loop Tues eve with the folding saw. Left the last three limbs on the ground which are easy to ride over.

Let me know if you plan to do any fixing of the rogue trail builder changes on East before our upcoming trail day on the 29th. I'm in.

I would also like to see some signage (as Critter suggested) clearly stating that any changes apart from DNR/Trail Coordinator sanctioned changes are strictly prohibited. Of course the signs would need to be very large with very few words.
Last edited by andyf on June 8th, 2013, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyf

Postby Jim O » June 5th, 2013, 8:48 pm

What he said!!!!!!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby iamkickstand » June 5th, 2013, 8:52 pm

r21954 wrote:The problem with him/whom ever that doesn't tell me they cleared is that I go out to clear posted trees that are down and there aren't any= wasted time and money and quite often they are not cut far enough back from the trail tread.

sorry, next time I will just leave them there.

*edit*

Sorry, I received 2 pm's about this post. So I've decided to edit it. I have left the original above.

I am not 100% sure I am the person you are referring to, or that was posted about, but I did take the time to clear some fallen trees on the West Loop. I don't even know if they were posted about. I happened to have my chainsaw in my vehicle with me after a ride and figured it would be a good work out to huff my saw out there (it's no pocket saw) and clear a couple logs, and huff it back to the car. I didn't really feel it necessary to post what I had cleared. For whatever reason, whether I had forgot to, didn't have the time, etc. I'm pretty sure if I cleared a log I cleared it plenty far back from the trail, the ends of logs scare the *beep* out of me on trails.
iamkickstand

Postby andyf » June 8th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Well... consider the following perspective:
> A person relatively new to Mt. Biking... riding for 2 years
> Took several bad falls triggered by rocks/roots in the trail
> One such fall serious enough to keep him off the bike for several months
> Someone who prefers the flow of Yankee Springs (I believe that was the trail cited)
> On a personal mission to make the trail safe and to make it flow like his favorite trails with few rocks/roots
... and there you have it. That is the guy making mods to East loop. I had a long conversation with him this afternoon. I believe this guy had good intentions from his perspective and simply did not understand the bigger picture of how changes get approved, working under the authority of the land manager, and the need to balance "safety" with degree of difficulty, riding styles and preferences, IMBA approach to sustainability, etc. etc. etc. He was very understanding and agreed to work any future changes through the TC's (myself and Ron).

So... what are the take aways?
1) We need to educate with better signage. Something brief at the trail entrances, and a more complete statement on the board at the trail head. People who do care (like this guy) will read and heed. Of course, there is always a small percentage that will ignore anything posted. Critter, make sure you sync with Ron before making anything. It needs to be short and big enough to read and get the point while rolling into the trail. I can write the longer statement for the board.
2) I think we have won over someone who is not afraid of hard work and will contribute going forward
andyf

Postby Rock N' Rolla » June 8th, 2013, 8:13 pm

A convert .. that awesome... I huess a question for him, to benefit us would be if a sign was up at the trail head would he have noticed and contacted CRAMBA, or would several signs throughout the trail have been better?
I am heading out there tomorrow morning to ride with a friend from work.I dont want to ride along or keep breaking in the changes he made if its going to make an 'undoing" difficult, or are these changes just going to be left alone and I can ride guilt free. I dont ride this trail often enough to tell as I am hualing down the trail new from old?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby andyf » June 8th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Ride whatever line you see. It won't impact the amount of effort to make appropriate changes going forward.
andyf

Postby black2003ss » June 19th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Rode West tonight. There were a few soft spots with a path through the middle of most of them, but overall conditions were great. It was just soft enough I opted to avoid the Lake and North Loops, maybe they were OK, not sure.
black2003ss

Postby turbotoad » June 20th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Critter7r wrote:orchard was like riding thru an automatic car wash a couple of weeks ago. Surely it needs a trimming.

And the North could use a good mowing in the open field areas. West has a few face slppers but not too bad.
turbotoad

Postby andyf » June 24th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I need someone to get the tools trailer from the DNR garage at Grange Hall / Dixie Hwy and pull to the trail head by 9:30am Sat for Trail Day start at 10am. Anyone with a truck who can help out? Let me know. -Andy.
andyf

Postby andyf » June 26th, 2013, 7:25 pm

J.O. has it covered.

andyf wrote:I need someone to get the tools trailer from the DNR garage at Grange Hall / Dixie Hwy and pull to the trail head by 9:30am Sat for Trail Day start at 10am. Anyone with a truck who can help out? Let me know. -Andy.
andyf

Postby SAuge » June 29th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Hi Andy,

This is Scott. We met today on the "trail day." :D I haven't been out on one for a few years and it's good to know they still exist. (I do get the emails so those ARE important!) Nice to know this forum exists now too.

I have been reading about changes happening on the East loop. Root cutters and rock movers... that's bad news with soil erosion. :(

Sunday I am planning on going further down the trail we started (East) with my trimmer and weed wacker. Might as well be one stretch clear!

My sister also rode today and said there are two logs down on West "near the beginning." She says one is small. Could be left behind as an obstacle? The other she said is pretty big. So ya and Ron know.

I add Ron because I have been clearing stuff that has fallen on the trail and read he has been going out and there is nothing to find! Turtle loop was impassable and I saw kids going out, so I cleared it of fallen trees and trimmed it. It has been blocked since the winter when I go XC skiing out there.

I also went trimming and fallen tree clearing on the West loop (so the dude who was wondering if I was Ron, um, no). Cleared some trees that had fallen on the trail in the North loop (and cut back the grass).

So if Ron went out on reports of fallen trees, sorry, they might have been some I got. With this forum we now have better contact.

And I have worked directly with the DNR (as in paid as an employee) trail clearing in the Copper Harbor area (Fort Wilkins). Was pretty long ago, but rules don't change that much. :) So I do know the rules. IOW, mostly been trimming and taking out fallen trees on the trail - so no, I am not the "East loop bandit."

Later

S
SAuge

Postby andyf » June 30th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Many thanks to Jim, Josh, Chris, Scott, Dan, and special thanks to TC Pete from Stony Creek for helping out on trail day! We covered the remaining trimming on West and Lake loops as well as the worst overgrowth on East between #14 - 15. In this worst section, it took a crew of 4 about 4.5 hours to make 1 mile of trimming progress without the benefit of brush hog ground trimming.

Next priorities will be finishing the following on East...
1) From #7 following the Return to #14
2) #1-3 mostly heavy ground trimming.
* After completing these first two sections, East to #7 to Return to End will be in fairly good trimming shape *
3) #3-7 mostly only light trimming needed
4) #7-9.5 Meadows Loop and entry/exit from Hess Road
5) #10-13.5 Orchard Loop
andyf

Postby iamkickstand » July 3rd, 2013, 9:15 pm

North loop was muddy tonight, lots of fun. West loop was in decent shape, Tech loop was good.

1. There is a shortcut developing on the north loop around a rooty section, really should be blocked off.
2. The skinnies on the west loop are starting to rot pretty bad, any repairs going to happen on these?
3. The 3 ft drop really should be properly labed as a 12" drop.
iamkickstand

Postby SAuge » July 8th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Did three things this evening on the west loop:

- There was that tree down around the one mile marker. I sawed the two sides and somewhat to the side of the trail. Someone did make a log pile on the side to ride over it. So I left part of it behind with a cut on the side, so if someone wanted to rip it out - they can. But I felt the log pile was an interesting feature. There is a good five feet or more opened on the trail.

- Another downed tree was leaning into the trail - was higher before but had settled. So sawed that one out.

- And I attempted to reinforce a mud hole out there by sawing up another downed tree. They are some good five and six inch thick blocks and I think it will be OK even when it is dry.
SAuge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions