CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby honkonbobo » July 3rd, 2013, 12:08 pm

i rode addison, bald north and south and LOHS on Sunday. addison and LOHS were totally dry, bald north was mostly dry except for the usual spots but rideable and i would call bald south flat out unrideable with alot of large mud holes and standing water you gotta walk through/around. the conklin connector to bald north is overgrown but passable.
honkonbobo

Postby lawn dart » July 5th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Rode the "East" & "West" loops of Bald Mtn North this evening, everything was in very good shape aside from (as honkonbobo said) the usual wet spots. The face-slappers are starting to move in again, and part of the connector to Conklin had me thinking of scenes from an Indiana Jones movie!
lawn dart

Postby JoeModz » July 8th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Bald Mountain South had a very leafy tree of an obstruction by post 9, had to toss the bikes over it. There is another more manageable downed trunk between post 11-5. I don't have any equipment and am a little dude with an even smaller girlfriend so I was not able to do anything about them. Other wise the trail was great on Saturday.
JoeModz

Postby utabintarbo » July 14th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Downed tree shortly after the sharp right turn at the north end of the Heart Lake loop. Chainsaw will be required.
utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » July 20th, 2013, 7:54 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Downed tree shortly after the sharp right turn at the north end of the Heart Lake loop. Chainsaw will be required.

Tree is still there, but on further inspection I think it could be dealt with a hand saw. I would have done so if the GD mosquitoes weren't lying in ambush for me. :P
utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » July 25th, 2013, 8:15 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:Downed tree shortly after the sharp right turn at the north end of the Heart Lake loop. Chainsaw will be required.

Tree is still there, but on further inspection I think it could be dealt with a hand saw. I would have done so if the GD mosquitoes weren't lying in ambush for me. :P

Tree is gone. Sand and bugs (in high densities) are still there.

Did I mention the sand? :P
utabintarbo

Postby flamingo » August 1st, 2013, 9:31 pm

Today I run into a fellow who was riding in the opposite dirrection. Considering the fact that Bald Mountain is a pretty fast trail specially the last section, it can get pretty dangerous when people ride in opposite dirrection. Would it be possible to put some warning signs?
flamingo

Postby Sortaslow » August 1st, 2013, 10:18 pm

I don't know that it necessarily is a one way trail. Yes, it's numbered, but that doesn't mean too much. How was the trail condition by the way?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » August 1st, 2013, 10:20 pm

Sortaslow wrote:I don't know that it necessarily is a one way trail. Yes, it's numbered, but that doesn't mean too much. How was the trail condition by the way?

North Unit is very much one way. South unit is two way. CRAMBA-IMBA has purchased orange Carsonite signs for marking the trail direction and is working with the DNR to get them installed. This process is -- unfortunately -- taking a little longer than we'd hoped.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Sortaslow » August 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I don't know that it necessarily is a one way trail. Yes, it's numbered, but that doesn't mean too much. How was the trail condition by the way?

North Unit is very much one way. South unit is two way. CRAMBA-IMBA has purchased orange Carsonite signs for marking the trail direction and is working with the DNR to get them installed. This process is -- unfortunately -- taking a little longer than we'd hoped.

Excellent! I have always wondered how it would flow in reverse. Night ride!

Sortaslow

Postby flamingo » August 2nd, 2013, 7:22 am

How was the trail condition by the way?

Considering the amount of rain we got the day before yesterday it was in a pretty good shape. Definitively rideable.
The usual wet spots. The entrance and the end but with the unofficial bypass it was pretty good. The entrance off the parking lot is pretty annoying. How about a trail day to do something about it?
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » August 10th, 2013, 7:01 pm

North and South Unit trail is in good shape and nicely trimmed with the usual wet spots, but with a couple exceptions.

- The Conklin Road connector is extremely overgrown and some vines have collapsed on it, making it nearly impassible. (I had to crawl through one part pulling my bike behind me.)
- The bridge on the Miller Road connector is broken and not really ridable (photo), but it can be walked. It is also pretty overgrown. With these two taken together there is no real good way to ride into the park from the west.
- There were also a number of horse hoof prints on the North Unit, I think on the West Loop after the cabins (photo). They seemed to stop before one of the steeper downhills, and hopefully the folks realized that they aren't supposed to be on those trails. There were a few divot marks, but no notable damage.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby turbotoad » August 20th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Rode both loops of North unit earlier this evening. Trail was in good shape. Didn't notice any major overgrowth anywhere on the main trails and there were only a few of the usual wet spots lingering. This rainy summer has done a number on the loose gravel and sand build up though. It seemed like every single climb was preceed by a sand trap at the bottom from the water washing it down the hills. Unless your on a fatbike sand is just a PIA :P Maybe some water management/re-directs could be explored a the next trail day?
Todd P.
2012 Titus X
2009 Fuji Reveal
2004 Raleigh Inferno XC
2003 Mountain Cycle SLiX
1995 TREK Y33
TP
http://www.reverbnation.com/toddparkinson
turbotoad

Postby Roy » August 21st, 2013, 6:20 pm

Unfortunately a large percentage of Bald Mountain is old school fall line (straight down hill) trail. Fall line erosion can only be fixed by rerouting the trail to new IMBA standards. Changing 75% of the trail is just not going to happen. I think there have only been 2 reroutes to fix erosion in the last ten years. One of the reroutes was a step sand hill that could not be climbed when dry. Rerouting to fix erosion is more then double work because the old trail should restored. This restoration usually means installing water dams and reforestation. It can take 4 to 6 man hours to build one water dam.

Fortunately Bald Mountain remains one the last fall line trails in Michigan.
A little sand is a small price to pay.

Roy
Roy

Postby utabintarbo » August 22nd, 2013, 8:27 am

Roy wrote:Unfortunately a large percentage of Bald Mountain is old school fall line (straight down hill) trail. Fall line erosion can only be fixed by rerouting the trail to new IMBA standards. Changing 75% of the trail is just not going to happen. I think there have only been 2 reroutes to fix erosion in the last ten years. One of the reroutes was a step sand hill that could not be climbed when dry. Rerouting to fix erosion is more then double work because the old trail should restored. This restoration usually means installing water dams and reforestation. It can take 4 to 6 man hours to build one water dam.

Fortunately Bald Mountain remains one the last fall line trails in Michigan.
A little sand is a small price to pay.

Roy

All this, and previous "administrations" have been less than fully on-board with the MMBA doing anything out there. We (CRAMBA) are trying to cultivate ties with the current LM, and have hope for the future. Any change will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

OTOH, there is hardly any trail in the area I'd rather ride in the Fall than Bald Mtn. North, even the way it is. :D
utabintarbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments