Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby reidabel » June 18th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Rode this evening, the trail is looking good! A bit muddy in spots, but not bad. The mowing has helped a lot. The bugs are still bad. 15" thick tree down across the trail between where the little teeter-totter used to be and where the big teeter-totter used to be, after you go down the hill and partway around the pond. A possible stunt for somebody to build? If somebody wants to learn how to do the chainsawing part of it, let me know.

Met some good guys and good riders out there tonight - shout out to Nate, Steven, Jackson, and Joe. Jackson and Joe and I managed to move a tree that was down across the Hellboy trail, not far in from the entrance. Thanks, guys!

I told them all about this forum, and my own web site, so hopefully we'll see them on here at some point ... if so, welcome!
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » June 18th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Trimmed Forest Hump and Nathan Dynamite as far as the pines today. Bumper crop of healthy poison ivy out there. Took out some of the nasty bushes that keep growing out into the trail a bunch of half dead or dead stuff that was broken out during the winter,also vines, briars and more. Some of it is trimmed back fairly far but it will keep the stuff from hanging over the trail again later this summer and perhaps into next year. The low areas in Nathan Dynamite are just a bit soft and generally in really good shape.

There's parts of that section that could use some weed whip/string trimming if someone would like to have a go at that.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » June 22nd, 2013, 3:13 pm

It's beautiful out there today, and the trails are in good shape. A few soft spots, but no standing water, even on Swamp Thing. The mounds at Smokey and The Bandits are in great shape for repeated looping, they've really been ridden in well. The bugs are reduced a lot from before, but there are still some out there, probably down to a normal level now.
reidabel

Postby rvd » June 22nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

reidabel wrote:The bugs are reduced a lot from before...

They all moved to my backyard :-(

reidabel wrote:The mounds at Smokey and The Bandits are in great shape for repeated looping, they've really been ridden in well.

Good to hear. Did someone shape them at all into jumps or are they (still) just tall rollers?
rvd

Postby reidabel » June 22nd, 2013, 7:35 pm

They are still the same - just awesome tall rollers ... bockrona was talking today about shaping the jump line, but I think we have to insist that the rolling line be left intact. It's just too good to lose it. There's nothing like it anywhere I've ridden, and while it can't really be "pumped", I like it better than the Eastgate pump track (on Meridian Road East of Okemos).
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » July 4th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Trail was surprisingly dry. Loose, sandy, and dusty in several spots, in fact. Pretty good riding overall. Some slappers here and there.

Sizable tree down on the backside of the big pond, near where everything got rerouted(around Looman's). Over a foot in diameter. Chainsaw required.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby pfox90 » July 5th, 2013, 8:16 am

Thought I saw you out there with your blue helmet.

Good conditions, best it has been in a while.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby reidabel » July 7th, 2013, 10:29 pm

reidabel wrote:15" thick tree down across the trail between where the little teeter-totter used to be and where the big teeter-totter used to be, after you go down the hill and partway around the pond. A possible stunt for somebody to build? If somebody wants to learn how to do the chainsawing part of it, let me know.

AllMountin' wrote:Sizable tree down on the backside of the big pond, near where everything got rerouted(around Looman's). Over a foot in diameter. Chainsaw required.

Probably the same one ... nobody interested in building on it?
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » July 8th, 2013, 7:15 am

reidabel wrote:
reidabel wrote:15" thick tree down across the trail between where the little teeter-totter used to be and where the big teeter-totter used to be, after you go down the hill and partway around the pond. A possible stunt for somebody to build? If somebody wants to learn how to do the chainsawing part of it, let me know.

AllMountin' wrote:Sizable tree down on the backside of the big pond, near where everything got rerouted(around Looman's). Over a foot in diameter. Chainsaw required.

Probably the same one ... nobody interested in building on it?

It's on the part of the winter loop / xc ski trail so probably not a build candidate.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby reidabel » July 8th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Glad you mentioned it! Thanks ...
reidabel

Postby Overdrive » July 8th, 2013, 12:33 pm

reidabel wrote:Glad you mentioned it! Thanks ...

Could probably do a true a-frame ramp over but it would be too the side.

For my own construction projects there, once the bugs wane and a stress fracture is healed I want to finish the damp lands improvement on Nathan Dynamite. The water diversions added to the upper section seem to be working and the two "swamp" spots armored and back-filled have held up. The mess at the bottom is next.

Was at the park this a.m. for a wander. North end of park was in reasonable shape given nearly an inch of recent rain. The Bob Supremacy looked like it had some slick spots. I did some serious wading on the open track by the entrance to Heck Boy. Think the water is deeper/wider there than I've ever found it. There's a broken drain tile nearby so perhaps that's part of the influx of water there. While just north of Peppermint Creek it was practically dry.

If we get a gap of a couple days w/o rain the trail should be set up nice again. Staff was out mowing the old open tracks.

Deer flies have now joined mosquitoes in the feeding melee.
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby mjpo » July 9th, 2013, 11:04 am

Meet up with fellow mid-Michigan mountain bikers on Sunday, July 14 for a group ride, followed by an MMMBA chapter meeting. All are welcome, so bring your enthusiastic friends, too! We will be joined by our IMBA rep, Andy Williamson, who will help us reinvigorate our chapter.

Ride: Burchfield Park (Riverband Trailhead), 11 am
Meeting: Buddies Grill (2040 Aurelius Rd, Holt), 1 pm

Please join the Facebook event to give us a rough count for Buddies: https://www.facebook.com/events/585679574795903/

Also, please complete our chapter survey so we have a good idea of our members' (and potential members') vision for mountain biking in the greater Lansing area, as well as they ways in which they are interested in contributing to our efforts.

Survey: http://bit.ly/11GfFCU
Jeff- Burchfield TC

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby smattyb » July 14th, 2013, 1:28 pm

FOUND yesterday 7/13
I found a cyclecomputer on the trails right by Riverbend Lot... if it is yours, identify it and we arrange a time/place to return it to its proper owner.
smattyb

Postby peterlcole » July 25th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Out of curiosity, how long does it take you guys to do a full loop, breaks and all? I rode it tonight in 1.5h, with two stops and an unfortunate incident at Hellboy.
peterlcole

Postby rvd » July 25th, 2013, 9:52 pm

peterlcole wrote:Out of curiosity, how long does it take you guys to do a full loop, breaks and all? I rode it tonight in 1.5h, with two stops and an unfortunate incident at Hellboy.

What do you mean by "full loop"? There are many options at Burchfield, but if you do only Serenity or Dragonball and you exclude the hill around the pond, a lot of people ride it under an hour: http://app.strava.com/segments/705617. Not stopping for any breaks helps :-D
rvd

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments