CRAMBA: Clinton River Park Trail (Dodge Park Trail)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Dodge Park Trail, AKA Clinton River Park Tr

Postby c0nsumer » June 6th, 2011, 3:46 pm

X WAY? So that's the express route? ;)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Mack » June 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Ya that was supposed to be a W. I was getting eaten alive by the bugs. I got in a hurry and F'd it up oh well *beep* happens. I have not had a chance to get out and fix it.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby Weihs » June 14th, 2011, 3:03 pm

pmcallister, or really anyone. Is this trail dry enough to ride?
(not Eckhard)

2007 Specialized StumpJumper
2010 Specialized Epic Comp 29"
2008 Specialized Globe City 7 (commuter bike)
Weihs

Postby txf1160 » June 15th, 2011, 7:44 am

Rode the trail last night. The trail was dry and rideable. I didn't come across many muddy areas and even those were relatively firm. However, there are many (more than 5) trees down across the trail, and a few hanging precariously low overhead. Several will require a chainsaw to clear, including a large tree blocking one of the new bridges. Also, the trail routing at the trailhead closest to Edison Court, is kind tough to follow due to wash out. You can see all of the nice bright orange markers, but the actual trail is difficult to discern in the flat area at the trail head. All that standing water and rain in May took its toll. There are some logs blocking sections of trail in that area as well, but it looked they may have been placed there on purpose so I did not disturbe those sections.
txf1160

Postby nailgunn » June 20th, 2011, 8:27 am

First ride in Dodge Park so I was still trying to learn trails.
Most were firm and dry. Some areas need a little trim but I did not have my prunig shears this go around.
Agree there are some deadfall still there. A big one just after the tractor(?) in front of a bridge. Not sure if that was a designed technical (would required uber advanced skills to get over) or needs to be cleared.
Edison court area is mostly dry couple of deadfalls blocking trail in low lands.
I did get lost and found myself in some rather unsavory stuff... Trails get a little muddle getting into the flood areas.

All in all was fun. Thanks PM for your work
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby i69whitey » June 20th, 2011, 6:18 pm

nailgunn wrote:First ride in Dodge Park...

yep his too.
loved the part where he said:
"did you see how close i got to the river back there?"
:shock:

trail is drier than i thought it would be,
and we rode all but the woop-dee's.
best father's day so far
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby nailgunn » June 20th, 2011, 6:23 pm

i69whitey wrote:
nailgunn wrote:First ride in Dodge Park...

yep his too.
loved the part where he said:
"did you see how close i got to the river back there?"
:shock:

trail is drier than i thought it would be,
and we rode all but the woop-dee's.
best father's day so far

Rawk'n whitey
Congrats nothing better than your kid having a kick'n time and getting excited about the ride.

BTW I did get to the woopdy doos and the log jump :wink:
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby c0nsumer » June 25th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Trail is pretty muddy right now, and it's a lot easier to get lost this year in the more frequently flooded area. Non-muddy parts are in pretty good shape, though. I'd recommend that anyone considering riding this trail skip it for now. After riding the whole thing in one direction I took the pavement back the other way.

I must say, that "log jump" / drop is pretty neat, and probably quite fun when riding down it. When heading towards the obstacle it looks more like a wall, and it's not clear where one should go. Arrows point to the left, but there's no obvious trail readily apparent so it feels like it really breaks up the flow of the trail.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby 2slo2endo » June 27th, 2011, 11:51 am

Newbie member, just joined MMBA - Rode this trail last night w/ my son, a little muddy in places, but good shape overall. did get lost once (even though i'm kinda familiar w/ the trail, lol. Is there a trail maintenance day planned, now that it is drying up?
2slo2endo

Postby 2slo2endo » June 27th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Newbie here - just joined MMBA. been riding this trail for a few years, and the drop IS Very nice. Are there any plans for a trail day for this trail?
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » June 27th, 2011, 8:42 pm

There was a trail to left of the log drop/jump but with all that rain we had that whole are was once again underwater and much debris came with the water and washed out the trail . Sorry have to may things on my plate right now to get back there. Hope to get in there and do some work soon. I will let Aaron know about the down trees. My Chain saw is on loan at this time.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby c0nsumer » June 27th, 2011, 9:06 pm

pmcallister wrote:There was a trail to left of the log drop/jump but with all that rain we had that whole are was once again underwater and much debris came with the water and washed out the trail . Sorry have to may things on my plate right now to get back there. Hope to get in there and do some work soon. I will let Aaron know about the down trees. My Chain saw is on loan at this time.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for replying. :) There's been a tremendous amount of wind lately as well, and since a bunch of the Clinton River was lined with now-dead ash we've got loads of downed trees on our hands.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Mack » June 28th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I was able to rearrange my morning schedule and do some work on the CRPT today. What a beautiful morning it was out there at 7am cool, breezy and no bugs. I walked the entire trail pruning, raking and removing deadfalls. 4 hours later the CRPT is ready to rock. Still some soft spots so please tread lightly on them.There are still 2 deadfalls remaining on the north end that are to big for me to move or hand saw (chainsaw is on loan :( ) they are both rideable but if you don't think you can, walk them for the time being.There is nothing ever wrong with walking a piece of trail better safe then sorry. Aaron is going to chainsaw them out this week or next. Steve V. I cleaned up and reraked the log jump bypass just for YOU so YOU can see it. Oh by the way YOU may want to get YOUR eyeglass prescriptiuon checked :wink:. I owe you that one for the X WAY crack. That now reads W WAY.

can YOU see it NOW Steve V.

I also seen this pretty young thing this morning she makes my heart go pitter patter.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby c0nsumer » June 28th, 2011, 10:14 pm

pmcallister wrote: Steve V. I cleaned up and reraked the log jump bypass just for YOU so YOU can see it. Oh by the way YOU may want to get YOUR eyeglass prescriptiuon checked :wink:. I owe you that one for the X WAY crack. That now reads W WAY.

Ha. Thanks. Yep; that's more visible. I'll give it a try again soon once the trail is a bit less peanut butter-y. (Probably not long with the way the wind has been...)

That said, why not build up the front of it so it can easily be ridden up at speed as well? This is a pretty quick section when coming from the other way, and having this right in the middle of the trail as a step-up still seems like it interrupts the flow.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby Mack » June 29th, 2011, 8:44 am

It wouldn't be much of a drop, drop being the key word here if I built it up on the other side now would it. Hence the trail to the left. Also that is a bypass for those who don't want to do the drop. I do not think setting up to jump or in the process of and having somebody coming up the other side is a very good idea either.The people who ride this trail often will know to stay left after they get used to it. That section flows nicely from both directions once you know the trail. Actually that step up can be cleared at speed or going slow with a good bunnyhop it's maybe a foot high. I do it when nobody is around, it keeps my bike handling skills tuned and ready to go..
Last edited by Mack on August 12th, 2011, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul McAllister
Mack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions