NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

Postby vette-ss » June 27th, 2013, 10:45 am

Quick question for the northern crowd. I'm planning to camp in the TC area next week and want to check out trails in the area. I see there is the VASA Trail and the VASA singletrack. Both appear to be bikeable. What is the difficulty of each and how are they different (is the "trail" 2-track)? I will have my kids who are beginners.
vette-ss

Postby i69whitey » June 27th, 2013, 10:53 am

plus 1
Could use a little info for the area myself
As well as ludington, indian river areas.
Maybe we'll cross paths Mr vette-man
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby vette-ss » June 27th, 2013, 11:12 am

I'll be at Interlochen. VASA and Arcadia are on my to-do list....if I can figure out how to pack all of the bikes with our gear.
vette-ss

Postby Nelg » June 27th, 2013, 11:40 am

vette-ss wrote:I'll be at Interlochen. VASA and Arcadia are on my to-do list....if I can figure out how to pack all of the bikes with our gear.

Arcadia is quite a treat, fun and flowy under a hardwood canopy, if you are west of TC it's a must do. The Vasa Trail is more like a two track that gets groomed for skiing in the winter. It's that you ride for the last few miles of the Iceman race and can be pretty hilly compared to most trails down state. The Vasa Singletrack is in the same section of forest the vasa trail is in, but it's twisty flowy singletrack that bobs and weaves a lot with relatively little climbing.

All three can be fun for different reasons, but Arcadia and the Singletrack are first and foremost a mountain bike trail.

Enjoy!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby turbotoad » July 7th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Rode the Singletrack twice this week (Thursday and Today, Sunday). Trail was in good shape. A little sandy in spots (mostly mid-turn) the first few miles but great after that. Fun fast trail without much climbing or technical stuff.

I really wanted to hit Arcadia today on my way back downstate, but I didn't have access to a GPS, didn't have a map, and forgot to write down directions from Traverse City. Hopefully the next time I'm up there I'll get over to Arcadia.
turbotoad

Postby mrbikester » July 10th, 2013, 7:42 pm

My wife and I were visiting Traverse City area and rode the Vasa Singletrack on Tuesday. What a great trail. It rained a lot on Monday but the trail was nice a dry to ride the next day.It drains very well. Also love the flow of this trail.
For those that haven't ridden this trail the best way I can describe it is fairly flat with a few technical areas and a couple long but not difficult climbs. There are some sandy areas and lots of roots which adds just the right amount of challenge. Distance is close to 14 miles.
mrbikester

Postby qt314159 » November 28th, 2013, 12:57 pm

What's the total snowfall situation like at the vasa? I'm in the area for the weekend and would love to get in a few laps. Am I out of my mind? Any fat bikers that can get out and pack it down over the next day?
qt314159

Postby bgerlach » November 28th, 2013, 1:13 pm

8-12 inches of powder with a few more expected today - have been a few skiers out on the ski trail.

qt314159 wrote:What's the total snowfall situation like at the vasa? I'm in the area for the weekend and would love to get in a few laps. Am I out of my mind? Any fat bikers that can get out and pack it down over the next day?
bgerlach

Postby daurand » Yesterday, 3:31 pm

Any idea when this will be ready to ride? Never been on it and want to give it a try.
I fear Teeter Totters.
daurand

Postby Nelg » Yesterday, 8:47 pm

daurand wrote:Any idea when this will be ready to ride? Never been on it and want to give it a try.

Still a bit of snow, should be ready next weekend I imagine.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments