Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby eaglekat » July 13th, 2011, 10:16 pm

I rode the western loop this evening aroumd 8 pm. I think there were 2 down trees and had to get off and push my bike. But overall, the trail was good.
eaglekat

Postby john_galt » July 14th, 2011, 9:10 am

bhollen666 wrote:Aw crap, so it's not passable? I had hoped maybe we could "logpile" it or ride around it.

Guys, do you think I can hand-saw it, or am I gonna have to find someone with a chain saw? (or finally go buy one myself)

Dang. I had invited some friends to ride it this Saturday after the Tree Fort 29er Demo at Rolling Hills, but if the trails a mess again, I might have to tell them to skip it.

I still rode the western loop, just got off my bike and walked under it...not the safest idea but it but seemed like it wouldn't collapse...
john_galt

Postby dnale » July 14th, 2011, 7:06 pm

It did look like someone pushed thier way through/around. I decided just to turn around. I know it cut a little off the miles and I do like that little loop but I didn't feel like forging through. On my way out I noticed another bike turning to the west just after the gate. I guess I never noticed that trail. Where does that go?
dnale

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » July 14th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Rode in tonight with some pruners and a hand saw. I cleared around the big tree hanging over the trail in the NW loop but wasn't able to bring it to the ground. It's still hovering about 2-3 feet off the ground. Its not hanging on by much so I wouldn't go under it, so I wrapped some orange tape around it. To be safe until it can be cleared please walk around it.

I cleared all the other downed limbs and small trees. There was a decent one down on the north side of the pond but it's all cleared now. I was able to ride through all except for that section after the big downed tree.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 14th, 2011, 9:42 pm

dnale wrote:On my way out I noticed another bike turning to the west just after the gate. I guess I never noticed that trail. Where does that go?

That is usually the way out, the last stretch of the trail that you should enter right after you go past the pond and have an opening to your right. Following this little short section then brings you out at the parking lot.
bhollen666

Postby eaglekat » July 15th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Rode the western loop tonight, fallen trees were removed, and someone put pink tape on the hanging tree so you don't hit your head. Whoever did it, thank you for keeping the trail nice and safe.
eaglekat

Postby bhollen666 » July 16th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Rode through today with friends from work who helped me to push the tree down and out of the way. It's back open again now.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 16th, 2011, 3:17 pm

bhollen666 wrote:Rode through today with friends from work who helped me to push the tree down and out of the way. It's back open again now.

I think it might be a good spot for a log pile, but I'll wait for cooler days and a chain saw before I do that. At least for now it's not a danger overhead.
bhollen666

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 19th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Doh! I lost my flashlight somewhere on the trail tonight sometime between 8:15 and 8:50ish PM. I noticed it was missing right before entering the last short section by the parking lot after the dam. If anyone finds it please let me know. I'll throw in a $15 reward (the light is $17.99 new). Details on the light: LINK

Other than that I had a great ride. Trail is clear and fast. Only concern was that I was afraid that if I got a flat in one of the meadow sections that I'd die of a thousand deer fly bites. :)
ChrisInYpsi

Postby bhollen666 » July 20th, 2011, 6:57 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Doh! I lost my flashlight somewhere on the trail tonight sometime between 8:15 and 8:50ish PM.

I'll watch for it this weekend while mowing and check there first before I go running over anything.

ChrisInYpsi wrote: Only concern was that I was afraid that if I got a flat in one of the meadow sections that I'd die of a thousand deer fly bites. :)

You aren't kidding, they are really bad this year and super aggressive.
bhollen666

Postby parttime » July 20th, 2011, 1:26 pm

bhollen666 wrote:
bhollen666 wrote:Rode through today with friends from work who helped me to push the tree down and out of the way. It's back open again now.

I think it might be a good spot for a log pile, but I'll wait for cooler days and a chain saw before I do that. At least for now it's not a danger overhead.

I've got a small chainsaw, let me know when you head out there next!

Patrick
parttime

Postby bhollen666 » July 20th, 2011, 9:24 pm

parttime wrote:I've got a small chainsaw, let me know when you head out there next!
Patrick

Great, thanks. But let's pick a day when it won't be like a sauna out there!
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 22nd, 2011, 8:34 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Doh! I lost my flashlight somewhere on the trail tonight ...

Rode through slowly tonight the whole way from the dam to the top of the hill looking but didn't find it, sorry. I'll keep my eyes open for it.
bhollen666

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 22nd, 2011, 9:17 pm

Thanks for checking. I appreciate it.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » July 23rd, 2011, 9:57 am

Disclaimer:
I have not been to the trail yet and this is all based on info in this thread, the youtube video and the Trail Guide. With that said, most of what I read would/could push me to decide not to visit the park (and I don't think I'm the only one). All of my comments were meant to be constructive criticism and were not meant to be rude or bash the park or any individuals in any way. I think that the park looks like a great start and it is well maintained, but it looks like some of those efforts could be spent in other areas (rota-tilling and signage).

Comments:
I will be in the area next weekend for a wedding and if all goes well I'll be riding HC and RHP. In doing some homework before I head out I have a few comments from things I have seen so far based on other's input and watching the video:

First off, it looks like you guys care for the park and maintain it VERY well, in mowing and trimming often. After watching the video I noticed that most of the trail looks like you're riding through a mowed field. In the early part of this thread there were several comments asking people to ride the park to break it in. Here we are 5 years later and there still isn't a well defined single track. I would think that this is due to the fact that people all ride in a different track on the mowed section so it will take forever to actually wear in a nice hard packed trail. I (think this is the third or 4th time in this thread) would suggest rota-tilling a trail through the grassy sections. This would give a well-defined track to follow and I think would eventually lead to a smoother, faster and more comfortable course. You only need a couple of inches of track on a bike and the rest will form itself. It would at least be a good start to get riders at least following the same path.

The woods look great and seem to offer a good balance of turns, straightaways, and hard packed single track. Obstacles could be added or they can be natural (in the form of fallen trees). I think that the area with the wood bridges seems cool, but what would it take to connect the segments? It does not necessarily have to be with more bridges (dock sections), but some logs, rocks, 2x6's or something, kinda making it a ladder section? http://nsmba.ca/structures/structuresmistakes.htm

To:

In the form of signage, it sounds like something needs to be done, most riders on here (that aren't regulars) seem to get lost or go the wrong way. I acknowledge that you have made efforts in the past and they have been ripped down, but have you tried something a little more permanent? Some trails that I have been to have 4x4's in the ground that are engraved with letter/numbers and painted to designate the trail. This could be cheap and easy to do as well as deter vandalism. I also liked the suggestion of hanging the temporary markers (viewtopic.php?p=687811#p687811) and possibly wrong way signs to let users know that they could hit someone head on.

Last but not least, I would update the Trail Guide http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_tr ... =trail&cid[]=75 . The description made me initially not want to ride the trail and after seeing the outdated map I almost skipped this trail up as potential ride places. The trail seems evolved and improved from the original description. Also, the map that is listed is ugly and outdated, the map below is WAY nicer and put together very well. If it is up to date I think that it would make a great addition to the Trail Guide. I would also say something about being close/connected to Rolling Hills Park, I think that's another good selling point for this trail.

All-in-all I am glad to see this park listing. I think there is a great potential and it is in a good location. I would not have written this if the park seemed to be a flop. I think this will be a great place to ride in coming years and that you're on to something great. I hope that you take some of my opinions as positive reinforcement to help progress into a great trail. I am in the area usually once every couple months. If you ever need any help with trail work, maintenance, or upgrades when I am in the area I would be more than willing to stop by and lend a helping hand. Keep up the great work and I hope to see some of you out on the trail when I get out there!

Thank you,
Bryan

Resources:

P_Thomas22 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pC65FtInDM this is part 1.

P_Thomas22 wrote:Did the trail for the first time today and I have to say I didn't have much fun... that was until after I had finished. Its very slow and flat as others have mentioned. Thanks for mowing it down as otherwise it would of been even more grueling. Not many technical sections although I did enjoy the few log piles/rocks. I think we should add some trail markers to help with direction as it can get kinda confusing for someone who hasnt studied the out dated maps. Correct me if I am wrong but there is no "terrain park" on the north side (what is the little circle on the map supposed to be) I GPS'd the whole route and go-pro'd it as well. It was in good condition except for a few spots that were squishy in the woods. Did get two nasty thorns stuck in my arm on the NW side and because it has never been rototill-ed on the grassy sections it does make for a very slow ride.

I did find it pretty satisfying after I had finished because it was difficult, not in a technical sense, more in a completion sense. Trying to keep your speed up in the grassy sections is tough and you have to pedal hard and long with no real coasting or breaks to speak of. It is very bumpy as well and my hard tail sure bounced around on some sections. I think i will go back to try and improve my time and it is a very cardio intense trail. Ill post links to the videos when they are uploaded. Ill just put them up as they are without editing. Will be long and boring but at least people can see what the trail is like. Thanks to everyone who maintains the trail.

GPS data http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90635886

bhollen666 wrote:We've tried stakes with laminated pictures just like Rolling Hills, but they didn't last two weeks before they were ripped out and thrown in the woods. We then tried those yellow flags and most of them were also ripped out. Someone was nice enough to put some of them back, but they are usually torn out. We suspected it was a bunch of locals who used to hunt the park before the township bought it. It's been a few years now and we've not seen as many of them as there have been before. Maybe they've finally given up or we've finally struck some kind of balance in the park.

We suggested to the township that we paint marks on some trees, marking different points on the trail with the letters that we tried for the location markers, with green when you are facing the correct direction and red or yellow in the opposite way. We recommended this to the township but never got a response.
LuckyCharm4x4

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions