Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby CM » June 21st, 2013, 10:51 am

Not sure about the weeknight ride, but definitely the weekend Olson day.
Chocolate is the answer. The question is pretty much irrelevant.
CM

Postby ryanmcg » June 21st, 2013, 11:53 am

Brian, I'm the opposite, will be out of town for the Olson weekend but I can help out Tue/Wed/Thu. Let me know once you figure out a day/time. I have some basic hedge trimmers but might need some long handle loppers.
ryanmcg

Postby Bcar » June 25th, 2013, 11:07 am

Ann Arbor Local Loop/Olson trail day! Sun,June 30th,10:30am

Sorry for the late notice, work/life getting in the way again...

What: Olson park/A2 Local loop trail day.
Date: Sunday, June 30th.
Time: 10:45am (maybe 10:30 depending on when I can get the brush mower), stop by 5:30pm so I can get the mower back by 6pm.

Plan: Will be renting the brush mower and will have 2-3 weedwhips to beat back the Olson trail growth. If we get enough people and hammer it out quickly, we could move to another section of the local loop.

Bring: Loopers, cutters, weedwhip if you have one, LOTS of water, long sleeves, long pants, gloves, hearing protection, eye protection. I'll bring extra H2O, gatoraid and hopefully the poto chapter of IMBA will spring for some pizza ;)

We'll meet in the parking lot, sign some waivers, then get to work by 11am. If you show up and we're out on the trail, just grab your stuff and find anyone to see what the story is/where to help.

PM me if you want/need my cell number.

Thanks in advance!!
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Bcar » June 27th, 2013, 10:28 am

weather is looking good!
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Bcar » July 1st, 2013, 10:11 am

Huge thanks to everyone who came out yesterday! We gave Olson park one heck of a trim job! Also hit some of Leslie from Whitmore lk rd to just east of Pontiac Lk rd. Hoping to get out into Barton park and finish leslie in the near future.

Keep up the good work local loopers and remember to grab a few face slappers each ride ;)
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby daveat » July 22nd, 2013, 8:38 am

Yesterday I rode the Bluffs, Kuebler, and the Leslie connector from Bandemer to the tennis courts by the Leslie Park Golf Course and everything was in great condition. A little overgrown but nothing that slowed you down too much. From the trail entrance by the tennis courts to the science center there were white arrows in chalk on the trail, anyone know what this was about? Also noticed our long travel friends have been doing some work, looks rowdy.
daveat

Postby Bcar » July 25th, 2013, 11:01 am

there are a few running and hiking groups that mark the trails sometimes.

ALL: There have been a few close calls in the past few weeks with the weather and trails both being amazing. Please PLEASE use a bell, or make a cat call or other noise when going around blind corners. All it takes in one bad crash and we could be kicked off the loop... we're prob going to start a bells-on-bikes drive pretty soon. most trails around here are one-way, the LL is two-way.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » July 25th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Bcar wrote:there are a few running and hiking groups that mark the trails sometimes.

ALL: There have been a few close calls in the past few weeks with the weather and trails both being amazing. Please PLEASE use a bell, or make a cat call or other noise when going around blind corners. All it takes in one bad crash and we could be kicked off the loop... we're prob going to start a bells-on-bikes drive pretty soon. most trails around here are one-way, the LL is two-way.

I've had a close call with a couple guys that were running. A bell wouldn't have helped as they had headphones in and I could hear their music as I was stopped to let them get past my wife and I. The only place where I can see this happening (which is where this happened to me) is in Barton Nature Area - I don't think there's any other spot that is fast enough and has blind corners.

Who is in charge of the Bluffs? The overgrowth I have encountered there is in the form of plants with thorns at arm level.
oogs

Postby Bcar » July 29th, 2013, 10:35 am

I feel no pitty for runners with headphones in BOTH ears...

Bluffs, Im kinda the TC for the loop, but no one person does all the bluffs. Feel free to snap some face slappers off when you ride ;) we're going to try to get to the bluffs, but my next two weekends are booked... Feel free to do any trimming on your own! Most of the loop is taken care of by mtn bikers who do it on their own time. We usually only have 1, 2 at the most official trail days. I ride with a handsaw and sometimes some clippers.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » July 30th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Cool, thanks. I took care of the offending branches... only to get mauled on the east side of Leslie Woods Nature area (between the Willowtree exit and the Upland exit) by a patch of those same thorny plants. I might have to drive over with some clippers, as it wasn't pretty.
oogs

Postby Bcar » July 30th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Sweet. Thanks. We don't really do much in black pond/nature area. That's the NAPs backyard, and they shoul;d take care of it.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » July 30th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Bcar wrote:Sweet. Thanks. We don't really do much in black pond/nature area. That's the NAPs backyard, and they shoul;d take care of it.

NAP?
oogs

Postby 300hp » July 30th, 2013, 6:59 pm

oogs wrote:
Bcar wrote:Sweet. Thanks. We don't really do much in black pond/nature area. That's the NAPs backyard, and they shoul;d take care of it.

NAP?

Big Brother.
300hp

Postby Bcar » July 31st, 2013, 10:49 am

Natural Area Preservation. They're the gate keepers for Ann Arbor trails.

So, in the past (and currently) we dont do any work on the trails in blackpond and southeast leslie by the nature center. Part bec It is the NAPs back yard, and part because we want a reference/example of how the Poto IMBA maintained trails are in much better shape/better maintained than the NAPs trails/backyard. Currently the trails there are totally overgrown, not very fun to walk, run, or ride. Compare those trails to Olson for example after our trail day.

I would suggest everyone making a friendly call or email to NAP saying how much you like the conditions of Olson, and how blackpond/southeast leslie is in pretty poor shape. One of the concerns NAP has with our wanting to build more multiuser trail is who's going to maintain it. Well, the trails we maintain are usually in good shape, and we'd also maintain any new trails we build, Id like to take that argument out of the equation...

Give em a call or email some comments. Pretty much just say how it is, olson is in really good shape/well maintained, and other parts are not as well maintained. could play dumb and say "wow, we love hiking olson, maybe get the same people who maintain that to work on blackpond etc." ;)
NAP: (734) 794-6627, nap@a2gov.org
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » July 31st, 2013, 12:44 pm

Friendly note sent!
oogs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments