Arcadia Dunes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Arcadia Dunes

Postby bgerlach » November 18th, 2012, 9:03 am

I would not recommend mountain biking there during rifle season - we do not even work there in that period as it is heavily hunted.

Brad
GTRLC Stewardship staff

JF wrote:Anyone know if Arcadia is safe to ride during hunting season this weekend?
bgerlach

Postby JF » November 18th, 2012, 10:39 am

Thanks, I will ride crystals property
I appreciate it
JF

Postby clydeone » June 23rd, 2013, 8:16 am

any info on trail conditions? will be on vacation very close to this trail this week.
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
2013 Total Mileage - 4932
2013 Trail miles - 338 - pitiful
clydeone

Postby Nelg » June 23rd, 2013, 10:02 am

Arcadia drains well and is well maintained. It's typically dry and in good shape just hours after it rains so mud won't be an issue. This time of year the ferns and undergrowth tend to get a little tall though.

Enjoy!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby clydeone » June 23rd, 2013, 12:45 pm

excellent thanks for the update
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
clydeone

Postby bgerlach » June 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm

clydeone wrote:any info on trail conditions? will be on vacation very close to this trail this week.

Might see a little sand unless we get some rain. We trimmed it back hard last month so shrubs, etc. should not be a problem although there will be some ferns in a few spots.
bgerlach

Postby clydeone » June 23rd, 2013, 8:58 pm

Sand is generally not a problem since I got my Krampus. Looking forward to riding some different trails
clydeone

Postby jalopy jockey » June 24th, 2013, 6:07 am

It was in great shape a week ago after some very heavy rains overnight. The day prior to the rain not so much.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby clydeone » June 24th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Did a lap today when we got here. It is an excellent trail. I don't know if it qualifies as a destination trail. But it is well designed. Given the number of other activities in the area it certainly makes it a destination for a good vacation though. I will be riding it everyday this week.
clydeone

Postby turbotoad » August 4th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Decided to try Arcadia today for the first time while vacationing in Traverse City area. I wasn't sure what to expect as I normally ride the VASA singletrack while here. Arcadia was a lot of fun. Some good climbs (nothing heart attack inducing) and fun roller coaster down hill sections. I would have enjoyed it a lot more had I not been experamenting with a new stem and wasn't used to the different handling of my bike yet. There were a few small sandy spots here and there but nothing like beach riding! Just small mid-corner surprises. Overall a much more "technical" trail than the VASA Singletrack and a great ride for more experienced riders. I ran into a family with 4 kids going the opposite direction and none of them looked to be having a good time :( some walking their bikes and others barely moving and complaining. Then ran into an older couple on one of the climbs walking their bikes too. Seemed like they all were over their heads a little on this trail. The trail itself was in excelent condition with no downed trees or offensive overgrowth.
turbotoad

Postby bockrona » August 15th, 2013, 10:03 am

I had the opportunity to ride this trail recently, and it was an absolute blast. It was so fun, I went back the next day. With the topography, it could have been grueling, but the designers did a great job of using the hills for fun and not pain. Fast, flowy and smooth.

I now consider this a must ride any time I am in the area.
bockrona

Postby Creamy » August 15th, 2013, 10:50 am

its pretty amazing isnt it! I feel honored to have this trail in my back yard, so to speak, ride it all the time. far as Im concerned its one of the absolute best in the lower pennisula, some of the recent reroutes theyve done are fantastic, longer flowier downhill sections, good stuff, and an active involved trail crew, good stuff
Copper Ridge Riders Association:
Creamy

Postby amadkins » August 24th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Got out there today, 8/24. Was very pleasantly surprised, much more challenging and entertaining than glacial hills. I rode counterclockwise and was pretty well worn out when I finished. The climbs aren't too steep, but a number of them are pretty long. For a big fatazz like me they proved to be pretty challenging.

For as dry as things are right now, the sand was minimal. Great job on the trail, this will be my go to spot when we make the yearly trek to TC.
amadkins

Postby Sortaslow » September 3rd, 2013, 7:02 pm

Absolutely perfect. Not a thing wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

Postby bgerlach » October 3rd, 2013, 3:49 pm

Just wanted to piggyback on this post as it highlights the fact that we have had a number of bikers that found the trail too challenging. Honestly the original layout was changed during construction and rather than having the "easiest" loop nearest the parking lot, those sections are some of the most difficult.

Rather than trying to right the wrongs of history we have begun work on a new novice loop from the St.Pierre lot. Right now it is a linear trail which can be an out and back or the dirt roads can be used to return to the lot in a loop fashion. We hope this fall to have it become a "lollipop" (linear trail with a loop at the end) to add some distance and interest for riders. While overall fairly flat, we do use small elevation changes, plenty of wiggles and a variety of forest types to make it more interesting. Our regulars have been using it as a warmup and thus firm it up as well. Over time we would like to expand this into a full loop with an additional stacked loop which would also allow us to reach an area with great topography not included in the original layout.

Brad

turbotoad wrote:Decided to try Arcadia today for the first time while vacationing in Traverse City area. I wasn't sure what to expect as I normally ride the VASA singletrack while here. Arcadia was a lot of fun. Some good climbs (nothing heart attack inducing) and fun roller coaster down hill sections. I would have enjoyed it a lot more had I not been experamenting with a new stem and wasn't used to the different handling of my bike yet. There were a few small sandy spots here and there but nothing like beach riding! Just small mid-corner surprises. Overall a much more "technical" trail than the VASA Singletrack and a great ride for more experienced riders. I ran into a family with 4 kids going the opposite direction and none of them looked to be having a good time :( some walking their bikes and others barely moving and complaining. Then ran into an older couple on one of the climbs walking their bikes too. Seemed like they all were over their heads a little on this trail. The trail itself was in excelent condition with no downed trees or offensive overgrowth.
bgerlach

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments