MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby sbk » July 4th, 2007, 10:43 am

Based on your description, I'm pretty sure that crash was due to the rim brakes. They are the devil's work. Image

I usually thaw my forks before riding (or eating!), but IMHO it's a matter of personal preference.
Mark
"Anger is a gift..."
sbk

Postby bender13 » July 5th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Be careful, it is pretty dry on the trail. I washed out, the guy in front of me did the same, I passed a guy on the side of the trail with a bent rim who had wiped, then I saw a guy limping in the parking lot.

Watch those turns!

Jeff
bender13

Postby daffunda » July 5th, 2007, 9:19 pm

bender13 wrote:Be careful, it is pretty dry on the trail. I washed out, the guy in front of me did the same, I passed a guy on the side of the trail with a bent rim who had wiped, then I saw a guy limping in the parking lot.

Watch those turns!

Jeff

I believe the solution is simple. Slow down, it is better than washing at 5mph than 20mph.

But ti racerboys will always take it at 20mph, because they think that they are bad ass. :D
daffunda

Postby bender13 » July 5th, 2007, 9:29 pm

I am not sure about the other guys, but I was not going very fast at the time. The ground felt pretty hard even at that speed. My bike is not Ti and I do not have rim brakes, so I can rule out those as the cause. :D

Edit: Just uploading my Edge data and I did not hit 20 MPH on any of my three laps.

Jeff
bender13

Postby Schwinn_Fanatic » July 8th, 2007, 11:24 am

Just got back from Maybury and the new addition is nice, but has a lot of off camber slant to it. It's a great piece of a trail, but I can foresee it becoming somewhat sketchy when things get slippery.

The trail is in great shape, but very dry and dusty. Moreso than I ever remember it before. Just be a little cautious when necessary!
I only exist for your entertainment
...manage public interaction with natural resources based on science and not based on the radical agendas of politically savvy, sociopathic niche special interest groups. -JAJones
Schwinn_Fanatic

Postby tcb » July 20th, 2007, 12:54 pm

the ems people were quick to help me when I got hurt, I don't know how much time it took them but it seamed quick to me, I'll have to ask my buddies since I was unconscious.
tcb

Trail Conditions

Postby Sammiey S. Sam Sam II » July 27th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Trail is not to bad. Consider other tracks for now due to weather. If you go, try not to route it out. Have fun! Be safe :evil:
Sammiey S. Sam Sam II

Postby bender13 » July 27th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Sam, I am not sure I understand your post. Were the conditions good or bad today (after the rain last night). Yesterday conditions were great, but I am not sure if I should head out tonight.

Thanks,

Jeff
bender13

Postby Sammiey S. Sam Sam II » July 27th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Went last night. Trail was pretty good. Only a few rough (Wet) Sposts. I plan on riding tomorrow early morning. Not to sure since the heavy rains last night. I made it before it came down. Sorry, not to much more help from here. I"m assuming after how much it rained, groving some areas might be very easy.

Be good.
:evil:
Sammiey S. Sam Sam II

Postby risnewski » July 27th, 2007, 5:48 pm

Some puddles and slippery spots but the trail is find for riding. Watch the base of hills.
risnewski

Postby bubmiller » July 27th, 2007, 10:06 pm

I finally did the experiment I promised a long time ago.

Garmin Edge 305 - GPS On
- Parking Lot to Trailhead Distance 0.60 miles
- Lap 1 Trailhead to Trailhead Distance 5.87 miles

GPS Off Using Rear wheel sensor, Circumference 2020mm
26 x 1.95 @ 45 psi.
- Lap 2 Trailhead to Trailhead Distance 6.51 miles
- Trailhead to Parking Lot Distance 0.63 miles
Steve Miller

"I took up Mountain Bike Racing because I needed to do something easier than Golf"
bubmiller

Postby bender13 » July 27th, 2007, 10:51 pm

Thanks for the comparison, my 205 always shows around 5.9 miles. I was not sure if since the 305 has more accurate elevation that it was calculated into the distance. I guess it uses the same formula. It seems like a software update could get the distance closer.

I assumed the trail was about 6.5.

Jeff
bender13

Postby bubmiller » July 27th, 2007, 11:05 pm

I don't think the difference is in the elevation. There is not enough elevation change to account for the difference. I think it is mainly the GPS "Straightening the curves" in a tight trail like Maybury.
Steve Miller

"I took up Mountain Bike Racing because I needed to do something easier than Golf"
bubmiller

Postby Loren » July 27th, 2007, 11:09 pm

My understanding is that gps 'samples' the location periodically, and in tight twisty singletrack it's going to be significantly less accurate than a wheel measurement.
Loren

Postby bender13 » July 27th, 2007, 11:23 pm

bubmiller wrote:I don't think the difference is in the elevation. There is not enough elevation change to account for the difference. I think it is mainly the GPS "Straightening the curves" in a tight trail like Maybury.

Now that I think about it, I am sure you are correct. Thanks for the info!

Jeff
bender13

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions