CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby ChrisInYpsi » June 9th, 2013, 11:41 am

Lots of folks out on the trail today. Everything is in good shape except for some minor slappers.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby smartblast.org » June 12th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Did some face slapper trimming today. Trail was still a little damp and greasy in some areas. Almost pasted a couple kids going the wrong way on a downhill section of the trail as the brush is so thick. Had I not been trimming and going slow someone would have gotten hurt.

They were coming from the campground going to the beach. There response about going the wrong way was that "There were no signs". Went to the park office (third year in a row for the same thing) asking for some signage. TC's have put some signs up but DNR keeps removing because it is not "official". If anyone else feels the need for a "Wrong way Bikes" sign or has had a similar experience you can call the office at (248) 666-1020.
smartblast.org

Postby MediumRB » June 14th, 2013, 5:24 pm

All is pretty good at PLRA today. A few muddy puddles, but they can be avoided. A bigger tree is down at mile 7.5, but I sawed off branches to open an option.
Another low fallen trunk out there, but I cannot remember where (after road crossing but before mile 7?)...it is avoidable but will need attention.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » June 15th, 2013, 5:33 pm

The tree noted above is no longer a headhunter. It's down across the trail, requiring dismount and lifting your bike over.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby acidtattoo » June 19th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Tree is still down across the trail, but the rest of it is dry and fast.
acidtattoo

Postby Drudini » June 22nd, 2013, 7:39 pm

Rode this evening.. Someone took care of the tree after the corkscrew.. Trail is clear and good!
Drudini

Postby MtnBikerMi » July 9th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Rode at 5 today and there is a large truck of a tree at very beginning S turns on a left turn, will catch you by surprise. Will need a chainsaw to move.
MtnBikerMi

Postby champ128 » July 10th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I did not get out there today,but we did not get any rain today. It sprinkled fora couple minutes, but nothing more than that. We did get a fair amount last night, by I think it's probably fine.
champ128

Postby compacted_graphite » July 16th, 2013, 11:16 am

Trail conditions for Tuesday July 16, 2013: three miles of trail in open sections were trimmed yesterday by a trail crew (Dave B. Craig C., Billy G., and Homey) between approximately mile 5 and 6, and between approximately mile 8 and 10. More is planned, but crews may take a day or two to rehydrate before continuing. Previous comment about trail is true - it has dried out and become dusty/loose and has large sand pits.

Anyone wishing to tackle canopy trimming with nipper/pruners, please do, and let us know what sections you accomplish. Canopy is intruding on trail just after the first left turn on the left hand side before you enter the woods, then a little further before junction sign 3, then again mile 3.2ish before the first equestrian crossing, then on the left side of the trail in the open pasture mile 3.5ish, then several sections between paved campground road and the airplane field, and is severely brushy just after Orr Road area.
compacted_graphite

Postby bitterrider » July 21st, 2013, 9:34 pm

Today was the first time I rode here since the tailwind race, agreed the trail needs some love. It was more punishing then fun. Might be alright with suspension but it beat me up riding rigid. I like to put in 3 laps there but I was exhausted after 2. I think this trail has really deteriorated over the last few years. Every decent or fast corner is just braking bumps, people need to learn how to use thier brakes properly. Lemme know if theres a trail day if Im available I would be more than happy to help.
bitterrider

Postby Sortaslow » July 21st, 2013, 9:45 pm

Careful with complaints on braking bumps and fixing them. Everyone will attack you and say you are trying to dumb down the trail.
You know, they're an integral part of the trail's tech features!

I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by Sortaslow on July 21st, 2013, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sortaslow

Postby gman122889 » July 24th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Trail was in great shape this afternoon. A little sandy and washed out in a few places from the rain but nothing to worry about.

Also, a little trail magic happened. On my first lap I counted 5 or 6 trees down in the first few miles...was going to mark them on my GPS on my second lap but they were gone! I was hoping to catch up to whoever was doing the work on my second lap but didn't run into anyone. Big thanks to whoever was out there clearing trees today!!
gman122889

Postby lawn dart » July 24th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Like gman said. Many of the downhills had washed-out areas, but luckily there was plenty of roots, rocks, roots, big rocks, some roots, and some loose rocks to ride over.

Plenty of places where it appeared deadfall had been recently cleared, but the trail itself was clear and fast.
lawn dart

Postby bergsteiger » July 30th, 2013, 9:03 pm

was out today, no trees down. A few mud puddles ans soft spots, most look to be working towards drying out.
Some pretty bad brake bumps in a few places.
bergsteiger

Postby ihateplaindave » August 5th, 2013, 10:24 am

Found a CO2 tire inflator on Sunday. PM w/ description me if you lost it.
ihateplaindave

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions