Mid-State: Burchfield

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Burchfield

Postby alec » June 24th, 2011, 9:54 pm

I didn't discover the dip until a couple weeks ago. It starts out at MacNamara - the trail begins right next to the wooden structure that looks like an outhouse, but isn't. The trail is pretty cool and has a neat dip about 30 seconds into it.
alec

Postby reidabel » June 24th, 2011, 10:19 pm

The dip in the picture was modified a LOT by the earth-moving equipment, the bottom is probably six feet higher than in the picture, filled in with dirt from the mound to the right of the girls. As it was in the picture, though, the bottom was actually a water trench a couple of feet wide that you had to jump over while carrying your bike. I would have been really impressed if AllMountin' rode it then! He probably rode it after it was filled in ... let's hear it from the source himself ...

Regarding the tree, perhaps I should make a log pile off to the side of the trail? I haven't seen it yet, what does everybody think?
reidabel

Postby reidabel » June 25th, 2011, 7:07 am

Okay, I've been delayed a few hours since my wife has plans this morning. If anybody has any more input on the tree that is down, let me know. I'm hoping to get out there around noon.

The tree we're talking about, though I have yet to see it, is somewhere in this area: ride from MacNamara toward Riverbend. There's an intersection at the start of the field where you would turn right, then left and uphill in the field before going downhill in the field to the bridge. Instead of going right and into the field, go left and into the trail that goes through the woods and eventually takes you back out to join the field trail just before the bridge. The tree is apparently on the first bit of this trail.
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » June 25th, 2011, 9:32 am

Your location is accurate on the tree. This one is not beneficial in any way. It's just the upper branches and leaves that encroach on the trail. People have been going around it- either on the edge of the trail- or just beyond it. It's likely an issue of cutting/moving several branches rather than logging off a whole tree.

Re: The dip- to my recollection- had been filled, but not firmed or shaped at the time we tried it last year. We were riding from where Reid took the picture and toward the frightened children. ;-) I went in... but didn't have enough speed to make it out.

As for the condition of the picture- you'd have to do a log crossing in the middle after a sharp descent, and then seemingly ride almost vertical with what speed remained. There *might* be a few people on Earth capable of that- but I sure as heck ain't one of 'em.

EDIT: I do like the way it rides now. It's just over way too quick.

I forgot to mention on the conditions that the weather knocked down a lot of the weeds. There are several spots where you have ride to through them, and you may have difficulty discerning where the trail goes very briefly. Not a huge deal, really.

Spots include, but may not be limited to: Coming from McNamara- right before you rejoin the main trail over Peppermint Creek bridge- between there and where you just exited the woods. This was already a tight ride through the weeds.

Right after the above section- cross the bridge and pass the yellow cut-off- the advanced trail heads back into the meadow toward Serenity/Dragonball.

Serenity- I *believe* there was some of this in there too.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby mjpo » June 25th, 2011, 11:28 am

Got out today to install signs and do the stunt inspection. Yes, mowing is needed. I will get to it within the next week.

I think the tree is on the section called "Remember Me". I did not ride it though due to time constraints.

Also, verified it is dry from the end of Dragonball/Serenity, all the way to Swamp Thing Bridges. (keeping in mind Swamp Thing is reversed this year) The bridges are completely trashed.
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby reidabel » June 25th, 2011, 10:07 pm

I love the way the dip rides now, I rode back and forth over it several times. Riding toward McNamara you can get air as you come out of it :-)

Yes, the tree WAS on Remember Me, I saw the (small) sign on the post as I went in to remove it, only 10 minutes after you posted, Jeff. I was surprised by what was there, it was the upper branches of a HUGE tree that went down. Once I realized that, I was envisioning a stunt for it, but I think it is just way too high off the ground and would not have an acceptable entry and exit point.

Yes, Serenity is overgrown in some of the field sections, despite having been mowed two lawn-mower widths wide only three weeks ago. Kind of like surfing on grass! It helps a lot to know where the trail goes, because it's hard to see. Jeff, I can probably help you out and mow it tomorrow. I see somebody mowed along Peppermint Creek from Kingman Road, so it will be a lot easier to get in from there than it had been.

Somebody removed the left screw from the top arrow where the fork left off of Serenity points towards Dragonball Run, for some reason to point BOTH green arrows to Dragonball. I took personal offense at this and rotated it back to the original position - straight ahead on Serenity. The bottom arrow and sign still point toward and say Dragonball Run, as originally installed. It would be cool if we could have the top one say beginner and the bottom say advanced, for those who don't know what Dragonball Run is like. Though they'll find out soon enough if they take the left fork.

I chuckled at the two arrows 100 yards into Glorious Poperd's, one pointing left and one pointing right, while the trail just continues straight ahead, no intersection visible at all! Is there an intersection under the vegetation or something? I think I remember two options there last year on that first slight downhill ...

Bob's Supremacy has been dumbed down - I was looking forward to the skinny bridges today only to find none remain at all. Cleared thorns from the first 300 or 400 yards of Forest Hump, to the bottom of the bigger downhill there. The downhill had lots of thorns protruding into it - a nasty surprise when your attention is on the descent, no doubt. All better now.

Lots of riders out there today, nice to see.
reidabel

Postby AllMountin' » June 25th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Thanks again Reid. Are you back to full on ride mode?

So is it okay to ride the part of Swamp Thing that parallels the river? I rode it the other day, with the expectation I'd have to turn back, but found it to be just fine. I felt like a violator.

The issue is that the rest of it is blocked off and the easy trail North is still a mud pit, so you'd have to run the easy trail back to the start of it. Worth it IMO.

Bob's is pretty basic, with only a handful of easier log piles to contend with. Still cool, cause it adds mileage. I did notice the upside down skinny out there.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby reidabel » June 25th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Thanks for the thanks, and thanks for asking about the knee. I'm not quite back to normal, today I probably overdid it by riding for a while after the tree removal, but it was just such a beautiful day and I'm missing it! I iced it and will see how it is in the morning. I'm getting pretty impatient and I hope I didn't set it back today (as I did last weekend).

I don't know about anything beyond the Serenity/Dragonball Run ending intersection, I haven't ridden past there in a long time, but going out along the river and returning on the beginner trail sounds like a good plan. I hope I get a chance to do that tomorrow, I like that ride along the river.

I'm guessing Jeff took the Bob's Supremacy skinnies out because they weren't stable. I used to like the short tricky climb when Bob's went the other way, on the hill that is now the first small treed downhill of Bob's.
reidabel

Postby mjpo » June 26th, 2011, 8:48 am

The first bridge on Bobs is gone. Not sure where. Didnt really look for it. A new one will be built. I have to get with Shaun. I flipped over the second one because it was not stable and I did not have time to fix it yesterday.

Mowing will be done soon.

All signs on trees are temporary locations. We will be planting more posts in the next couple of weeks.

I think the signs look awesome. Subtle is good when you are in the woods.
Jeff

Before You Speak....Ask Yourself
...is it kind?
...it it true?
...is it necessary?
Does it improve upon the silence?
mjpo

Postby peterlcole » June 26th, 2011, 12:46 pm

reidabel wrote:Yes, that's new. It was built on a trail day last year (or was it the year before?), but the dip was an unrideable ravine until the TC arranged for equipment to shape it. It's a fun section to ride, I really like the dip and ridge overlooking the swamp/river.

Ok, good. I was going to be ticked if that was always there and I never knew it!
peterlcole

Postby TenSpeed » June 26th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Trail is really good. The mosquitoes have not let up at all. We rode the last two days, and this is the most people I have seen on the trail. Of course there are some jackwagons without helmets on, which I cannot believe.

Is Enter Sandman, or that part of the trail ever going to be open again? I saw that getting to it would cross right by the disc golfer area.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » June 26th, 2011, 10:37 pm

The trail is even better now, today a lot of mowing was done where the fields were filling in the trail. As much fun as it is to "surf on the tall grass", it's the way it is supposed to be now.

I saw a large group of people in their 50s or 60s, all on either ten-speeds or comfort bikes, headed out from McNamara yesterday, and only one of them had a helmet on. I saw them all clean Dragonball in the new direction ... well, in reality I hope they didn't try anything but the beginner trails. They looked like they were enjoying themselves ... at least at the start of the run. I did see several young guys on the advanced mountain bike trails without helmets, though. Personally, I'd say I was saved from a head injury by my helmet on two occasions. Too bad it couldn't have protected the rest of my body :-)

My understanding is that the disc golf course opened for business on Friday, and I saw several groups of people playing. I'm definitely going to give it a try, it looks like a lot of fun. The price is $4, from what I'm told. Does anybody know if have you to bring your own disc, or if you can rent or just use one of the Park's?
reidabel

Postby TenSpeed » June 27th, 2011, 10:32 am

Reid, my wife and I passed that same group of people. They were very courteous and got right out of our way, although we were in no way trying to hurry them up. We got them right at the McNamara parking lot just as they were getting started.

You mentioned the lack of helmets. I am so surprised to see people out there without them on. Yesterday I saw a few people riding Annie's and Frank's without helmets on. I just don't understand the logic behind this.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby reidabel » June 27th, 2011, 12:47 pm

I think it's mostly financial, I recall balking at the cost of a helmet when I started. That and not realizing how easy it is for a fall to occur. I saw a young guy with no helmet, who was riding with a buddy and were talking like they had never been at Burchfield before, ride up to the pivot point on the big teeter-totter, then put his foot out to rest against a tree while up there. I don't think he had any idea how dangerous of a situation he had put himself in. He may not even have known it was a teeter-totter, and just didn't want to ride off the big drop.

So, not wanting to spend the money, and not realizing how easy it is to get hurt, that's my theory.

I always hate how people say that somebody made the choice between spending $40 and getting a head injury. It's not like they (consciously) made that choice at all, they just didn't believe that a head injury could happen to them.
reidabel

Postby mtbike2350 » June 30th, 2011, 6:27 am

In the area for a business trip and tried these trails out. Very technical in areas and looks like a lot of work was put in. Good job.

I did find some of the trails hard to follow lacking in signs both for the red/blue trail marking and mostly for the new trails and where they fork from other paths. Some places had some nice signs pointing you where it turned but lots just got confusing if the fork was part of it or not. I both ended up in someones back yard or missed large sections of trail.

Lots of tall grass that loaded up my cassette too. Otherwise mostly dry and challenging.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
More excited everyday for the next chance to ride..

Bike
2012 29" Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
2008 26" Specialized Epic Comp

Computer
Garmin Edge 500 with Heart Rate and Speed/Cadence Sensors
Motorola Atrix 4G running Endomondo and Google Tracks
mtbike2350

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions