MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen

Postby ibisman » June 20th, 2013, 12:02 pm

2 after the first wooden ramp, and another 2.5 miles in. Did some more trimming but trimmer kept quit'n. like it overheats.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
31,071.9 total trail miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1648.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby Loren » June 20th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help out there. Rode it again last night - it's in amazing shape!
Loren

Postby Apps » June 20th, 2013, 1:04 pm

There are several ares tha have trees down or could use some clean up between the 4x4 post on the 2 track and the freeride stunt. Gonna try and get out there tonuight to clean thingsup....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Apps » June 20th, 2013, 6:26 pm

I think I got all of them....let me know if I missed anything....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby ibisman » June 20th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Thanks !
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby galaxydean » June 21st, 2013, 7:11 am

Trail report for Thursday night. Rode last night and the trail is in great shape. The trail day made a big difference but there a still a few areas that need some trimming and 3 trees down on Tuesday. The section most in need of trimming is the very short section along Oakley park Rd. from the 2 track to the paved trail before Disney. Another short section is from the start to the ball field it's not bad but could be trimmed aprox. 1/4 mile. From the end of Log Cabin drive to the 2 track needs selective trimming. The other section that needs trimming is from the downed tree @ mile 2.4. up to the area that Tim trimmed Wednesday. This section is aprox. 1 mile long. There are areas that need very little trimming, some just need loppers, and some areas that need serious trimming. That is a long section but not the whole thing needs work. I was able to move 1 tree near the red house, 1 more down there, 6” very long. Also tree down right at the red house. It has been cut back some but need loppers to finish. Another tree down @ mile 2.4, 5”.
dean
galaxydean

Postby Spinwheel » June 21st, 2013, 8:39 am

galaxydean wrote:Trail report for Thursday night. Rode last night and the trail is in great shape. The trail day made a big difference but there a still a few areas that need some trimming and 3 trees down on Tuesday. The section most in need of trimming is the very short section along Oakley park Rd. from the 2 track to the paved trail before Disney. Another short section is from the start to the ball field it's not bad but could be trimmed aprox. 1/4 mile. From the end of Log Cabin drive to the 2 track needs selective trimming. The other section that needs trimming is from the downed tree @ mile 2.4. up to the area that Tim trimmed Wednesday. This section is aprox. 1 mile long. There are areas that need very little trimming, some just need loppers, and some areas that need serious trimming. That is a long section but not the whole thing needs work. I was able to move 1 tree near the red house, 1 more down there, 6” very long. Also tree down right at the red house. It has been cut back some but need loppers to finish. Another tree down @ mile 2.4, 5”.

The MCMBA has graciously loaned the use of two power scythes which we will be operating at the hick tonite.
We could use one person with primers to go in front of us and get the face and chest slappers.
Would prefer someone who has not volunteered for trail work recently or ever.
Meet at the trailhead tonite at 7. We will supply the primers.
Thank-you
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Re: MCMBA: Commerce - Hickory Glen 6/26/2013

Postby ibisman » June 26th, 2013, 11:57 am

I did a couple laps this morning before more rain comes. The trail was perfect but for the faceslappers. Amazing how fast this stuff grows back. very little mud. Major bug bites. Thick as low info voters applying for free phones. No trees down. Be back Friday to ride and trim some more.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
ibisman

Postby steveracer » June 30th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Ibisman, thank you for helping maintain the trail. Greatly appreciated! :)

I rode today, Sunday afternoon, and trail is great and ready to ride for all who need to ride a dry trail. I cleared a crazy vine mess about half way through, and a few other face slappers. One thing for all to watch out for is a record amount of sand - and in spots that I have never seen it affect the trail before. The ridge run along Glengary has a few GOTCHA spots where it is pretty quick. Also in that area, the first hairpin is pretty soft, had to go back and give it a second shot today when normally it is not a problem.

Ride the Hick!
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby UselessPickles » June 30th, 2013, 10:12 pm

I haven't ridden in 5 weeks while waiting for a slightly dislocated rib to heal. I rode 1.28 miles of Hickory Glen today, and walked out with this:

:(

My finger is not bent in that photo. The curve of the knuckle is all swelling (should be flat across the top of my finger).

I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow to find out whether it's broken, and whether I'm supposed to splint, buddy tape, or do nothing. Looks like it'll be a while before I can ride again.

Right around that 1.28 (according to my Strava recording) mile point is a pretty big tree on the right side of the trail, and the base of a fallen tree on the left side of the trail. One of the root stubs of that fallen tree is right at handlebar level. I don't remember seeing it at all before the crash, so I'm not sure if it was hidden by leafy overgrowth, or if I was just paying too much attention to avoiding the tree on the right side of the trail.

All I remember is sudden pain in my finger as my handlebars yanked to the left and the bike quickly disappearing from beneath me as I flew over the bars. I did a nice tuck and roll (2-3 rolls), and only suffered a minor scrape to my knee from the fall itself.

So... next time someone is out there with a chainsaw, it would be nice if they could trim those root stubs down/back so they aren't at perfect handlebar/finger height :)
UselessPickles

Postby Loren » June 30th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Just before 7 tonight? I noticed a couple riders just behind me and catching up, then they disappeared.

I think that root ball is new - I noticed it tonight for the first time anyway.
Loren

Postby UselessPickles » June 30th, 2013, 11:22 pm

No, I was there around noon.

It's been there a while, because my friend had a nearly identical crash in the same spot in December. He was lucky to only hit his handlebar on the root, and not any fingers.
UselessPickles

Postby ibisman » July 1st, 2013, 8:33 am

I know what you are talking about. Its been there for ever and we have trimmed it back aways. Its tight there but you should try it with my 29" bars. :)
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
ibisman

Postby Spinwheel » July 1st, 2013, 9:16 am

Uselesspickles,
sorry to hear about ur finger and hope its OK.
Sounds like the tight pass in the general area where the ATVs like to cut through. Dave's right, been there for years and used to be even tighter. Will take a look at it, but generally we're trying to find ways to keep the trail tight and twisty at the hick rather than wider and wider as an attempt to maintain what makes the hick somewhat unique.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby ibisman » July 1st, 2013, 2:23 pm

that's right after where the atv's come down the hill. I can cut it some more but like spinwheel says we like it tight.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments