CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby blacksword » May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

fattyclark wrote:also removing roots allow the water to flow faster down the trail tread, which means more lost soil. :evil:

So do properly designed trails, or well placed water bars. Are you saying you were the one who chopped the roots out?
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby blacksword » May 28th, 2010, 7:00 pm

gearbike wrote:Why did someone remove the tree on the small steep downhill just before the steep wall climb at about the 6 mile mark. Yes, the tree was in the middle of the trail but this is mountain biking!

Unfortunately, we as TC's cannot control everything. Often things like this are done well outside of the 'establisment' of the MMBA.

Those of us trying to do the right thing, ride the trails just like you and say the same things: " WTF, who did this sh*t".

:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by blacksword on May 28th, 2010, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby blacksword » May 28th, 2010, 7:03 pm

gearswhatgears wrote:That tree that is down is on a fast downhill, in a horrible spot. Just past backside of 2 mile hill where you come over that little roller at full speed. I going maybe 20+ over that little hill last night and couldnt stop, tried to dump it and slide under, but caught my head, arm and shoulder on it. Bloody mess. My finger may be broke too. Luckily I slowed enough to not do any further damage.

Be carefull!!!! Its about waist high.

Very sorry this happened to you! We do what we can, but we all know MTBing is a contact sport at its heart. I hope you heal up well and are back on the trail's soon!!!!
blacksword

Postby blacksword » May 28th, 2010, 7:06 pm

fattyclark wrote:
gearswhatgears wrote:That tree that is down is on a fast downhill, in a horrible spot. Just past backside of 2 mile hill where you come over that little roller at full speed. I going maybe 20+ over that little hill last night and couldnt stop, tried to dump it and slide under, but caught my head, arm and shoulder on it. Bloody mess. My finger may be broke too. Luckily I slowed enough to not do any further damage.

Where you running Rim Brakes?

Does it matter???? Disc or rim, they wouldn't stop you if you came around a blind corner and saw a tree a 1' infront of you.
blacksword

Postby PK » May 28th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Besides, like a friend once told me...."rim brakes work the same as disc brakes, the only difference is the size of the "rotor".......

Pete.
PK

Postby gossamer » May 29th, 2010, 7:03 am

PK wrote:Besides, like a friend once told me...."rim brakes work the same as disc brakes, the only difference is the size of the "rotor".......

Pete.

I never had a problem locking my tires up with rim brakes.... just hard to get really good stuff for rim brakes anymore.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
gossamer

Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Postby dduk » May 29th, 2010, 9:00 am

Tree is still there after 2 mile hill as of 8:00 AM this morning. Also, there was a lot of horse crap on the trail between miles 4 and 5, and a little around mile 9. It's amazing to see how much crap and trail damage can be done by just one horseback rider.
Trying to keep it down to 1 MTB and 1 road bike.
dduk

Postby blacksword » May 29th, 2010, 9:26 pm

dduk wrote:Tree is still there after 2 mile hill as of 8:00 AM this morning. Also, there was a lot of horse crap on the trail between miles 4 and 5, and a little around mile 9. It's amazing to see how much crap and trail damage can be done by just one horseback rider.

There are still a couple segments of PLRA that allow horse's. Watch the signs, the new TC and I have been talking about it.
blacksword

Postby gearswhatgears » May 31st, 2010, 11:02 am

blacksword wrote:

Very sorry this happened to you! We do what we can, but we all know MTBing is a contact sport at its heart. I hope you heal up well and are back on the trail's soon!!!!

Its cool, bleep happens. I just bandaged up my fingers and race 12 hours of Boyne. All is good, except the puss oozing out from under my nail, hopefully it will fall off soon!

Ride on.
gearswhatgears

Postby Loren » May 31st, 2010, 1:34 pm

Tree after 2 mile hill was clear when we rode through just after noon.
Loren

Postby c0nsumer » May 31st, 2010, 2:58 pm

Loren wrote:Tree after 2 mile hill was clear when we rode through just after noon.

Huh. Your car must have been in the lot when we were there. One lap with me feeling like *beep*, then the rain started coming down properly just before we made it back to the two track.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby froggyrider » May 31st, 2010, 8:43 pm

We got off the trail just before the rain, and the tree had been removed by 1 pm today. Thanks to those who removed it- it sounds like it was a clothes liner!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby nolan » May 31st, 2010, 9:10 pm

blacksword wrote:There are still a couple segments of PLRA that allow horse's. Watch the signs, the new TC and I have been talking about it.

Wow, that sucks ass. Was this always the case?
nolan

Postby c0nsumer » May 31st, 2010, 9:13 pm

For what it's worth, there were horse prints and *beep* on non-horse segments today.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Tom L. » May 31st, 2010, 9:26 pm

nolan wrote:
blacksword wrote:There are still a couple segments of PLRA that allow horse's. Watch the signs, the new TC and I have been talking about it.

Wow, that sucks ass. Was this always the case?

Yes, anyone with better info than me feel free to correct me. When the Pontiac Lake trail separation project was winding down towards the end (was that really way back in 2002?) the state DNR put a statewide new trail building moratorium in place that has lasted until now as far as I understand it. So the last remaining parts of the PLRA MTB trail were never built out and still share with horses.
Tom L.

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions