CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby urbaindk » September 23rd, 2010, 1:00 pm

Trails were very nice last night. I almost ran over an owl sitting on the trail right after the pines rock garden. He didn't seemed bothered by the lights and just kind of sat there as I passed. Must have been busy snacking on some poor little forest creature. There was a small tree down on the single track connector between the two parallel sections of double track near the exit of the pines. Not sure if that has a name, anyway I stopped and moved it.
urbaindk

Postby mr_opjones » September 23rd, 2010, 1:57 pm

I've seen an owl in that area a few times.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby PK » September 25th, 2010, 1:19 pm

The trails were perfect today. No problem with the recent winds.
Pete
PK

Postby utabintarbo » October 1st, 2010, 8:48 pm

Trail was starting to get dusty again. Tonight's alleged rain should help this.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby bh357 » October 1st, 2010, 9:03 pm

Agreed that things are a touch dry out there. Nice to see you out there this evening, Bob :D .

By the way, does anyone know offhand when the park hours change (to closing at 8pm)? The sign on the enterance road said 10pm tonight, but the sign by the "hole in the fence" said 8. No park rangers were waiting for me at a quarter past eight tonight though.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Re: Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby Sortaslow » October 3rd, 2010, 12:05 pm

bh357 wrote:Agreed that things are a touch dry out there. Nice to see you out there this evening, Bob :D .

By the way, does anyone know offhand when the park hours change (to closing at 8pm)? The sign on the enterance road said 10pm tonight, but the sign by the "hole in the fence" said 8. No park rangers were waiting for me at a quarter past eight tonight though.

Oct 1st according to the metro parks website.
Sortaslow

Postby boboh_sj » October 10th, 2010, 5:59 am

How is it that i can navigate my bike through trees with inches to spare.... or squeeze my tires through a gap between two rocks just barley touching them... but the road bikers at stony creek cant keep their sissy bikes on a 3-4 foot section of road?
boboh_sj

Postby PK » October 10th, 2010, 9:05 am

How is it that i can navigate my bike through trees with inches to spare.... or squeeze my tires through a gap between two rocks just barley touching them... but the road bikers at stony creek cant keep their sissy bikes on a 3-4 foot section of road?

It's all about attitude and laws.
Many roadies have one, and it's all about their understanding of the laws concerning the road.
My issue is with the laws of physics.

BTW, if you are riding the road without lights at dusk or beyond, WTH?
I almost hit a fellow MTB'er on two different nights on the roads east of Stony last week. Not even ANY reflective items that I saw.
Enjoy the ride, but be smart out there.

Pete.
PK

Postby NovaraAspen » October 11th, 2010, 7:30 am

boboh_sj wrote:How is it that i can navigate my bike through trees with inches to spare.... or squeeze my tires through a gap between two rocks just barley touching them... but the road bikers at stony creek cant keep their sissy bikes on a 3-4 foot section of road?

This bugs me too. Thursday at Stony I was stuck behind some roadies riding 3 wide, taking up an entire lane. There was a fair amount of traffic out there, so it was very difficult to get around them.

I don't mind sharing the road, but at least SHARE it.
NovaraAspen

Postby boboh_sj » October 11th, 2010, 8:35 am

NovaraAspen wrote:
boboh_sj wrote:How is it that i can navigate my bike through trees with inches to spare.... or squeeze my tires through a gap between two rocks just barley touching them... but the road bikers at stony creek cant keep their sissy bikes on a 3-4 foot section of road?

This bugs me too. Thursday at Stony I was stuck behind some roadies riding 3 wide, taking up an entire lane. There was a fair amount of traffic out there, so it was very difficult to get around them.

Yeah, that just seems a little ridiculous. I can understand having an attitude riding out on the road because most people driving are just jerks. I can also understand why you wouldn't want to ride on the path because people just seem to walk, run, or ride aimlessly.
boboh_sj

Postby c0nsumer » October 11th, 2010, 8:36 am

boboh_sj wrote:
NovaraAspen wrote:

Yeah, that just seems a little ridiculous. I can understand having an attitude riding out on the road because most people driving are just jerks. I can also understand why you wouldn't want to ride on the path because people just seem to walk, run, or ride aimlessly.

There's also a speed limit on the paths of (I believe) 10MPH. If you're going to be moving quickly and there are other people on the path, it's really best for everyone if you stick to the road. Riding sanely, of course.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby boboh_sj » October 11th, 2010, 8:57 am

c0nsumer wrote:There's also a speed limit on the paths of (I believe) 10MPH. If you're going to be moving quickly and there are other people on the path, it's really best for everyone if you stick to the road. Riding sanely, of course.

i drive enough to realize i'm not putting my life in the hands of any motorist, especially in the age of cell phones and texting.

at least IM in control on th trails... even if im going 35mph down a hill.
boboh_sj

Postby blacksword » October 11th, 2010, 3:19 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
boboh_sj wrote:
NovaraAspen wrote:

There's also a speed limit on the paths of (I believe) 10MPH. If you're going to be moving quickly and there are other people on the path, it's really best for everyone if you stick to the road. Riding legally, of course.

Ftfy. Three wide is not legal, and since the roads inside stony are still 'roads' they should be following the laws. I suspect if they keep doing it, one of the Stony police might just have a talk with them.
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby blacksword » October 11th, 2010, 3:21 pm

boboh_sj wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:There's also a speed limit on the paths of (I believe) 10MPH. If you're going to be moving quickly and there are other people on the path, it's really best for everyone if you stick to the road. Riding sanely, of course.

i drive enough to realize i'm not putting my life in the hands of any motorist, especially in the age of cell phones and texting.

at least IM in control on th trails... even if im going 35mph down a hill.

Control is kind of an illusion at that point.. heheh..but, I see your point. However, I think A lot of roadies ride Stony, because its a park and has slower limits and the expectation that people will be riding in the road on nice days. I think, for them, it feels safer than riding 'real' roads.
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby PK » October 11th, 2010, 5:50 pm

You know, if memory serves me correctly, you can only pass a bike in a "passing zone". The entire road @ Stony is a double yellow zone. No passing, at least no legal passing.....

Pete.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions