For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby IronMike » June 19th, 2013, 9:52 am

3 or 4 avoidable grease spots still. Horse pucky pile just after 1.75
IronMike

Postby CraveSingletrack » June 19th, 2013, 9:57 am

b_b wrote:
turbotodd wrote:trail was great last night. whoever trimmed recently did a good job

Almost didn't ride thinking it would be muddy, but glad I changed my mind. :) Only standing water was to the right of the rock pile and avoidable if you go over the rocks. Should have known, but I've pinch flatted on that pile a couple times and didn't check my pressure yesterday.

Or do what I did behind Todd on the first lap and hit the right side fast enough to clear the mud hole!
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby DNR_Maybury » June 19th, 2013, 2:50 pm

So I just got back in from working from the end of the trail backwards with my handy stihl hedger and almost made it to 5.25. By my notes that leaves going from 5.25 to 4.75 to get caught up. Can anyone think of any other area that needs attention? I plan to get this last section finished by Thursday night.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby deezler » June 19th, 2013, 3:17 pm

chisbang wrote:More miles is on the wish list for sure but there are many hurdles. Counting the horse, hiking and biking trails Maybury already has more miles of trail per square mile of park than any other state park.

Makes sense. So basically what I am wondering is if there would still be any hurdles if the horse and hiking trails were completely unaffected by some minor MTB trail expansion? I couldn't resist doodling my idea on the Maybury map. Red lines go through areas that the aerial images show are ripe for expansion and should have enough room to be mostly invisible from any existing trail. Green areas show zones I have no idea about but appear to have space. And it's hard to tell how accurate the DNR trail map really is. Just my personal opinion, and food for thought. Sorry if I'm just being annoying. :P

deezler

Postby DNR_Maybury » June 20th, 2013, 9:42 am

So, just in from our trail. The additional section mentioned in my previous posting is now complete so the trail should be great. So go ride the darn thing!
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby bentmettle » June 20th, 2013, 10:28 am

Off hand, I'd be reluctant to encourage an out and back loop in the last few miles. The current character of the trail opens up at the end, which I find really rewarding after slogging through the seemingly endless switchbacks of the first 2 1/2 miles.

Of course, I am curious to see what's in those areas of the woods. I've walked out in some of those places during the winter, but everything looks pretty different then.
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

Postby IronMike » June 21st, 2013, 9:49 am

Thanks Trevor, you rock! It was already much clearer when I rode on Wednesday.
IronMike

Postby lawn dart » June 22nd, 2013, 6:14 pm

Maybury was in fine shape today. Many thanks to all who keep it groomed. The trail was clear and fast, with zero face-slappers.

I have to admit, sometimes I felt like a mouse in a maze with those walls of brush on either side, but that's Maybury!
lawn dart

Postby slukomski » June 22nd, 2013, 9:03 pm

Right! Clear the face slappers but not the entire trail. It's fun to blast through the maze!
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
slukomski

Postby JJJerry » June 25th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Is it safe to assume Maybury is too wet for a ride tonight?

I live in Toledo, so I don't know how much weather the trail received.
JJJerry

Postby CraveSingletrack » June 25th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Anyone been out there?
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby DRC » June 26th, 2013, 8:04 am

I was out last night for a lap (7ish). Trail was in great shape considering how much rain we had in the morning. There were maybe 4 or 5 small spots of sitting water. Last night we had a couple down pours just after midnight but if the rain holds off today, I would think the trail would be good again by this evening.
DRC

Postby MTB-Mike83 » June 26th, 2013, 8:19 am

I live about 2 miles from Maybury and it absolutely poured last night. I'd say the trails would still be slippery this morning. Just an FYI
MTB-Mike83

Postby Chi » June 26th, 2013, 7:58 pm

As of 7pm this evening the trail was greasy in spots with areas of standing water starting to "splash" dry pretty good.
Chi

Postby CTB » June 27th, 2013, 6:42 am

I also rode last night around 5pm, and I felt bad that I did. There are some reasonably heavy pizza cutters out there, and many puddles/standing water places. With the rain we got last night, trail should be avoided for probably a couple days. Some areas were great, but there were many areas that were not.
CTB

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments