Wednesday Night Stony Ride

Announcements for group rides

Re: Wednesday Night Stony Ride

Postby Sortaslow » June 12th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Still at work....
:-\

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by Sortaslow on June 12th, 2013, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sortaslow

Postby grifter14 » June 12th, 2013, 8:47 pm

I didn't end up riding either. It started raining lightly right after I posted. So I delayed for a bit. Just as I was about to say screw it and go out and ride between the drops, my soon to be 1 yr old son exploded right smack dab in the middle of his favorite daily eating activity, oranges after dinner. Took us a min or ten to figure out that he is cutting a molar (sp?). By the time we got him pain meds, a cold popsicle or two and off to bed and down, riding was a non starter. BUMMER.. Especially since the rain more or less held out.
EARNED NOT ISSUED
BLACK AND TAN
its just a big game of
FOLLOW THE LEADER
grifter14

Postby urbaindk » June 18th, 2013, 10:53 pm

FYI. Tienken Road is closed from Rochester Rd to just after the traffic circle at Stony Creek high school. If you are coming from Downtown Rochester, take take E. 2nd St. which turns into Letica Rd. Stay on Letica through the subdivision and then take a left on Tienken and turn into the high school parking lot from there. Otherwise you will have to drive up Rochester Rd to Mead Rd and come back down Sheldon to get to the high school. It's quite a bit longer and bumpier.
urbaindk

Postby KLydesdale » June 19th, 2013, 9:59 am

urbaindk wrote:Otherwise you will have to drive up Rochester Rd to Mead Rd and come back down Sheldon to get to the high school. It's quite a bit longer and bumpier.

Is there any reason Cross Creek Boulevard can't be used instead to avoid the Mead road bumpiness? i.e. are there "No Thru Traffic" signs or something?
KLydesdale

Postby bergsteiger » June 19th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Mead road is likely the listed detour, the neighborhood may have a temp no thru traffic signs popped up there. I have not looked, but from a map overview that route looks viable.

I am personally planning to ride over to the school lot from the Mills instead of driving anywhere near there.
bergsteiger

Postby i69whitey » June 19th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Pines is ridable, the widening is done, puddles sre drier. Coaster/back nine is good to go.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby Thumbs » June 20th, 2013, 11:02 am

You had a good group last night. Was cool to see! We rode a bit seperate from you, but we were still there. Brought some newer cats with me, so we stayed behind.

Couple things worth noting I think. I heard someone (relatively new) mention that he doesn't want to get in the way of faster riders. Another, more experienced rider, respectfully said that he can ride slower or faster, doesn't matter. I said to the first guy, this is mountain biking, just have fun. The thought that newer people come into the "fun" not "sport" with the fear of holding up a faster rider............ Man, that irritates me. Are the serious folks just that serious and irrational to the lesser developed?

Funny point I observed... How the heck do some of you maintain a full conversation while riding through some of the single track? Hahaha! I assume you are just that good. I was overhearing conversation after conversation last night. It was great, but how the heck..................?

Finally, there was a guy behind me in the pines (we were in front of your group) and he was talking to me. I tried communicating back. He noticed and commented that I have a newer bike and that I have not ridden it all that much yet. He was right, but how did he know?! LOL. I must be incredibly unstable or I just dont how to ride.

Anyway, good seeing a big group that rode together like that. Hopefully we will be able to join you next week.
2013 Specialized Carve Comp - Green
Experience Level: (Novice)__ (Intermediate)_X_ (Advanced)__ (Ninja)__
Thumbs

Postby c0nsumer » June 20th, 2013, 11:59 am

Thumbs wrote:Couple things worth noting I think. I heard someone (relatively new) mention that he doesn't want to get in the way of faster riders. Another, more experienced rider, respectfully said that he can ride slower or faster, doesn't matter. I said to the first guy, this is mountain biking, just have fun. The thought that newer people come into the "fun" not "sport" with the fear of holding up a faster rider............ Man, that irritates me. Are the serious folks just that serious and irrational to the lesser developed?

Naw, not at all... Most people just don't want to be in someone's way. As you said, people just need to relax and have fun. If someone is a *beep* and forcing someone off the trail... Well... They shouldn't do that.

Thumbs wrote:Funny point I observed... How the heck do some of you maintain a full conversation while riding through some of the single track? Hahaha! I assume you are just that good. I was overhearing conversation after conversation last night. It was great, but how the heck..................?

I used to think the same thing, but as one gets more comfortable on trails... that's just what you do. It's great. :)

Thumbs wrote:Anyway, good seeing a big group that rode together like that. Hopefully we will be able to join you next week.

Definitely come on out, it's a good time.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby urbaindk » June 20th, 2013, 2:20 pm

KLydesdale wrote:
urbaindk wrote:Otherwise you will have to drive up Rochester Rd to Mead Rd and come back down Sheldon to get to the high school. It's quite a bit longer and bumpier.

Is there any reason Cross Creek Boulevard can't be used instead to avoid the Mead road bumpiness? i.e. are there "No Thru Traffic" signs or something?

Because I forgot that Cross Creek goes through to Rochester is why. :oops: Letica through the sub is marked local only so Cross Creek must be as well.
urbaindk

Postby grifter14 » June 26th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Just a friendly reminder for anyone heading to Stoney tonight from the south..Festival of the Hills Fireworks show is at Borden park (hamlin and john R) tonight. This time of night I would expect some potential delays as festival goers head for the park.

Ride on..
EARNED NOT ISSUED
BLACK AND TAN
its just a big game of
FOLLOW THE LEADER
grifter14

Postby krondor » July 3rd, 2013, 8:46 pm

Hey everyone, my name is Ryan. I just did the group ride and had a blast! I'm new to the sport (history of BMX in my younger/healthier days) and new to discovering CRAMBA. It was a lot of fun, and I was impressed with Stoney Creek in general. I'd been riding mostly Bald Mountain North/South and Orion Oaks with an occasional foray to River Bends and Island Lake. I liked a lot of the features at Stoney Creek. Nicely developed! I hope I didn't hold anyone back too bad.

I had two issues I felt.

1.) I definitely over exerted myself focusing on making it up one of the larger hills and maintaining too fast of an initial pace, and then never really got my breath back for the reset of the trip. I need to work on Zombieland rule #1 it seems; Cardio.
2.) I ran into another group of bikers whom I mistook for CRAMBA and followed them unfortunately out to the trail head instead of finishing the coaster section. I hope my diversion didn't make anyone too worried I was passed out in a ravine somewhere.

Definitely fun and I hope to make it out to more of these in the future. It was nice to meet all of you.
krondor

Postby c0nsumer » July 3rd, 2013, 11:12 pm

krondor wrote:Hey everyone, my name is Ryan. I just did the group ride and had a blast! I'm new to the sport (history of BMX in my younger/healthier days) and new to discovering CRAMBA. It was a lot of fun, and I was impressed with Stoney Creek in general. I'd been riding mostly Bald Mountain North/South and Orion Oaks with an occasional foray to River Bends and Island Lake. I liked a lot of the features at Stoney Creek. Nicely developed! I hope I didn't hold anyone back too bad.

I had two issues I felt.

1.) I definitely over exerted myself focusing on making it up one of the larger hills and maintaining too fast of an initial pace, and then never really got my breath back for the reset of the trip. I need to work on Zombieland rule #1 it seems; Cardio.
2.) I ran into another group of bikers whom I mistook for CRAMBA and followed them unfortunately out to the trail head instead of finishing the coaster section. I hope my diversion didn't make anyone too worried I was passed out in a ravine somewhere.

Definitely fun and I hope to make it out to more of these in the future. It was nice to meet all of you.

Thanks for coming out, it was nice to meet you! This is a ride for everyone, we all just ride our own pace then regroup frequently.

It's really easy to start over exerting yourself, especially when riding with a group. But, know what happens? Soon you'll find yourself moving up those hills faster than you ever thought before. :D

See you next Wednesday!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » July 10th, 2013, 8:33 am

I'm out tonight; I've got some business to attend to which'll conflict. I suspect Stony will be pretty soggy anyway.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Sortaslow » July 17th, 2013, 5:00 pm

In. The heat will be enjoyable!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sortaslow

Postby Di_bear » July 23rd, 2013, 9:58 pm

Sooo . . . :-/
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson