MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby bill_m » April 25th, 2009, 7:42 am

DNR-Dave, great job fixing the mud hole before SMP. The fix seems solid.

Thank you!
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby DNR Island Lake » April 26th, 2009, 12:33 pm

It was a pleasure to meet some of you at the trail-day. The trails should be amazing this year after a few small fixes. You all do a great job. Thanks for your help.

DNR Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby otherdave » April 27th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Thanks for coming out to hang with us DNR Dave! We had fun too!
otherdave

Postby GC » April 29th, 2009, 3:52 pm

This afternoon the trail was in great shape. Couple small muddy spots on both loops, but I didn't notice any water holding on the trail. I didn't ride the two way river bend section. The only real mud to speak of is on Yellow right after the wooden bridge before the climb. There is also a tree down on Yellow about the 4.5 mile mark but on the right of the trail a log pile has emerged. On a side note I saw a Wild Turkey at the start of Yellow. That was cool. It was about three feet off the trail from me.
GC

Postby mikewoods » April 30th, 2009, 12:08 pm

I was out yesterday afternoon as well. the tree thats down on the yellow loop was ride-able, but magically on my second lap someone had log piled it. as said, there were a few muddy spots yesterday and after all the rain today I would let it dry out a bit before attempting to ride the trail.
mikewoods

Postby normlobo » May 1st, 2009, 12:13 pm

how will the trail be tomorrow morning (5/2)?
normlobo

Postby cajames » May 2nd, 2009, 7:14 pm

Can anyone who road today give an update on conditions?

Thanks.
cajames

Postby djansen00 » May 2nd, 2009, 7:48 pm

Rode Blue and Yellow today and both were in good shape. All the dead fall is clear. A few wet spots here and there but nothing major. Definitely rideable and enjoyable.
djansen00

Postby jgw1981 » May 2nd, 2009, 9:53 pm

Most of the blue loop is excellent for riding...with one exception, just past the 2 way bridge (after the yellow connector, and sandy downhill) there is a pretty long mud puddle that will get you dirty if you go fast through it, but if you go slow enough, you won't get yer pretty bike, and spiffy ridin duds all muddy....but if your like me, blow through it, and enjoy it all the way!! If you are doing blue loop only, or yellow loop only, you will not be able to avoid, or go around it. Otherwise...trail was AWESOME today!
jgw1981

Postby Skiwars08 » May 3rd, 2009, 7:15 pm

Rode the blue and yellow trail today. There is a large tree down after the bridge crossing and long hill on the yellow trail ~ roughly mile marker 1.5 or so. It is not ride-able and takes some maneuvering to get under/over. Other than that everything is clear and mostly dry.
Skiwars08

Postby NessJewel » May 4th, 2009, 1:53 pm

jgw1981 wrote:Most of the blue loop is excellent for riding...with one exception, just past the 2 way bridge (after the yellow connector, and sandy downhill) there is a pretty long mud puddle that will get you dirty if you go fast through it, but if you go slow enough, you won't get yer pretty bike, and spiffy ridin duds all muddy....but if your like me, blow through it, and enjoy it all the way!! If you are doing blue loop only, or yellow loop only, you will not be able to avoid, or go around it. Otherwise...trail was AWESOME today!

Does anyone know if the water has subsided here? It was too deep to ride through on Friday...at least IMO.
NessJewel

Postby cajames » May 4th, 2009, 1:59 pm

The water level has gone down since last weekend, but it still 2-4" deep. I was able to ride through it with no problem on Sunday. If you go slow it is no problem. The ground is very solid under the water.
cajames

Postby jgw1981 » May 4th, 2009, 6:11 pm

It was totally ridable on Saturday, it was suprisingly solid underneath, just got a little soupy towards the end.
jgw1981

Postby otherdave » May 10th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Looked good out there today. A few puddles out there but nothing major... with one exception. The mud before the grinder climb in yellow (right after the wooden bridge) is getting pretty bad. We're putting together a plan to address this and will post something in the Volunteers Needed forum when we finalize. Expecting either Saturday/Sunday of next weekend (23/24th).
otherdave

Postby ericajong » May 14th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Folk,

I LIVE right off the blue trail (6.5 mile mark)
I am an AVID mountain biker myself. Today however, I was out WALKING/HIKING the blue trail with my VERY OLD dog when a man comes along on his bike, tells us he is there only SECONDS behind us and promptly RUNS OVER my dog and goes on his way without apology.
I know how many i this bike culture are-cocky. But people, seriously, IT IS a MULTI-USE trail. YOU don't own it nor does anyone reserve the right to run over me, my dog, my grandma etc..
PLEASE, let's respect each other out there, my dog is hurt and I have no way to resolve this.

Nicole Cass
Island Lake RESIDENT
ericajong

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions