MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby Apps » June 16th, 2013, 1:30 pm

jajones wrote:There are so many riders who frequent ILRA trails. It may have the highest density of use by mountain bikers out of any trail in the State. Yet, I'm always left to wonder why so few people are left to trim (Mark and others)? I appreciate the work of the few, and this isn't meant as a poke at the TC or people putting in time, but honest-to-God, that trail has no business being as grown in as it is with how many people ride out there.

For crizzakes, all you Team Fred kit hound speedster-wannabes who spend so much time rocking out your laps with such arrogant pomposity, put the f'ing bike down on a raining day and get a *beep* lopper in your hand. There are probably five bikers a minute passing through any point on the trail on a sunny weekday after work or weekend morning, yet we can't seem to keep the trail even moderately clear of invasives once the "growing season starts". ILRA is a recipe for disaster when it gets grown in -- trail runners, walkers, bikers going every which way into twisty blind singletrack corners. Someone is gonna get racked up bad one of these days (I'm sure this has already happened.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again even though this applies to many of my friends and people I know and like --

If you are a long-time mountain biker in this State and you've never once picked up a lopper, rolled or cut a downfall log off the trail or attended a trail work day -- you are a coat tail riding POS. The people who volunteer and do the work aren't your personal gardening crew. Do something other than down your supplements and measure your resting heart rate when you wake up. You might even find grooming the trails helps enhance your PRs -- another thing you can pat yourself on your back about. I know, I know -- you are in your late 20's, 30's or 40's and now is your time to shine. Like Katy Perry sez, "You are a Firework." If you don't hit the training now with gusto, you are never gonna make the podium in Expert in your age group at the Addison Oaks Fall Classic or Ruby Campground Challenge. I mean, you can't be taking a day off from your ride schedule for *beep* that all those advocacy gardening nerds are always doing -- you know, the ones who get in your way when you are only 15 seconds off your pace deep into Yellow Loop.

Awe, f' it - it hasn't changed in 25 years, so why do I think it is going to change now?

X1000000!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Critter7r » June 16th, 2013, 4:22 pm

rocky roooad wrote:anyone know how the trail conditions are this morning?

I would guess, "overgrown". Grab a gas-powered trimmer and walk one of the loops. :)
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby i69whitey » June 16th, 2013, 4:26 pm

poirier wrote:
rocky roooad wrote:anyone know how the trail conditions are this morning?

Whiney.

WOW! Really?
Was there lots of complaining about your trimmings laying in the way?
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby Hermannator » June 16th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Mark- Getting back to your previous point. I think adopt a trail would be a good idea for Island Lake. Since the DNR is good about dealing with felled trees, there is really only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the trail that needs regular trimming. Might give some folk a sense of ownership on the trail.
Hermannator

Postby rocky roooad » June 16th, 2013, 6:42 pm

FYI: I was asking about if the trail was too muddy to ride since the rain. Not sure what the attitude is about.
*andrea*
rocky roooad

Postby bax » June 16th, 2013, 7:31 pm

rocky roooad wrote:FYI: I was asking about if the trail was too muddy to ride since the rain. Not sure what the attitude is about.

Relax, I think Critter was tryin' to get some help...He did it with a smile. :P
bax

Postby Critter7r » June 16th, 2013, 8:45 pm

bax wrote:
rocky roooad wrote:FYI: I was asking about if the trail was too muddy to ride since the rain. Not sure what the attitude is about.

Relax, I think Critter was tryin' to get some help...He did it with a smile. :P

yeh ... no attitude coming from me. I was just making a (questionably) funny comment about all of the (completely justifiable) outrage about the trail being overgrown when there are thousands of people that ride the trail every week.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby fsr1 » June 16th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Hermannator wrote:Mark- Getting back to your previous point. I think adopt a trail would be a good idea for Island Lake. Since the DNR is good about dealing with felled trees, there is really only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the trail that needs regular trimming. Might give some folk a sense of ownership on the trail.

Tom,

I agree but it would require me getting off my lazy *beep* and getting something done. This is vastly more difficult than anyone can possibly imagine.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby jajones » June 16th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Mark,

If it helps at all as a template, our Chapter Web Guru and VP, Dave Jansen, set-up a page explaining the Poto Adopt-a-Segment Program and has (had, until all spots were filled) an on-line sign-up box.

You can find this at http://www.potomba.org/?page_id=252&sheet_id=1
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby CraveSingletrack » June 17th, 2013, 11:57 am

Anyone been out today? Need to get back on the bike.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby pfox90 » June 17th, 2013, 12:04 pm

It wasnt too bad out there yesterday. A few wet spots but most are on berm corner sections where if you follow the berm you bypass it anyways. Should be even more dry out there today.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby sdycha » June 19th, 2013, 9:42 am

Holy moly, was it ever awesome in there yesterday. Avoiding the small mud patches and puddles made it interesting if doing the usual fast pace (relatively speaking). I did have a "safe" wipe out at the end just after that construction block. Large slick area made for a fun slide. Should be dry by today pretty much. Trail is in nice shape.
sdycha

Postby Hermannator » June 19th, 2013, 1:53 pm

I trimmed on Blue from the lot to Riverbend.

Areas that are in need of attention for anyone so inclined are as follows. (in order of severity)

(A) The section of Blue just before the Yellow cut off.
(B) The section after Springmill Pond after ducking back into the trees is getting tight
(C) Just after Riverbend to the 1st road crossing.
(D) Just after the small bridge before Springmill Pond

Didn't ride yellow (trimmed instead)

A, B and D are done. Someone already did C.

I think yellow might need the attention now.
Hermannator

Postby Hermannator » June 25th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Anyone know what is happening to the trees on Yellow> By the hill after the wooden bridge and again on the last hill before the paved bike path crossing, it is like the whole canopy is gone and the leaves have fallen. It reminds me on November and not June.
Hermannator

Postby fsr1 » June 25th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Hermannator wrote:Anyone know what is happening to the trees on Yellow> By the hill after the wooden bridge and again on the last hill before the paved bike path crossing, it is like the whole canopy is gone and the leaves have fallen. It reminds me on November and not June.

Invaded by insects. No face slappers there.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments