MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Winter Riding is Here!

Postby MTBinamorata » November 20th, 2008, 10:49 pm

I rode Highland today at 11a.m. and did not see a single hunter. The trail was solid. It was great winter riding with no wipe outs and no studs. I was able to ride everything and the B loop was even dry without snow in a few spots. Hope to see you out there.
MTBinamorata

Postby singletrack mind » November 23rd, 2008, 7:01 pm

Rode Highland today. Saw a strange camo tent out there. Wonder what that's for?

Loved this trail. Glad I brought two bikes. Humbling.
"Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain
singletrack mind

Location: "........because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels." Ezekiel 1:20

Postby gossamer » November 23rd, 2008, 7:21 pm

singletrack mind wrote:Rode Highland today. Saw a strange camo tent out there. Wonder what that's for?

The tent is for those die hard hunters, what time were you out there, we rode there today also. :D
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
gossamer

Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Postby singletrack mind » November 24th, 2008, 11:00 am

gossamer wrote:
singletrack mind wrote:Rode Highland today. Saw a strange camo tent out there. Wonder what that's for?

The tent is for those die hard hunters, what time were you out there, we rode there today also. :D

I thought I was hallucinating! There were other people riding! I can go back to feeling somewhat sane. Whitey said he didn't see anyone. I was there between 12:00 and 4:30.
"Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain
singletrack mind

Location: "........because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels." Ezekiel 1:20

Postby i69whitey » November 24th, 2008, 11:11 am

saw some hunters and this crazy girl who kept smiling all day.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » December 13th, 2008, 6:21 pm

3 of us rode out at Highland this afternoon. The A loop was absolutely perfect riding - hard packed, crispy snow - no ice at all. It was tons of fun, we were able to climb all of the hills except for one short steep section. We also attempted the B loop, but after slogging up the first hill we gave up and turned around. There were no tracks to follow, and the snow is still pretty deep. We decided to try the D loop instead because it would be easier to bail out if needed. Well, D loop was the same as B....we rode about a 1/2 mile and then bailed out onto the road. It was an intense workout, and not so much fun. Instead we took the road back to the trailhead and did second lap of A.
WishIcouldcatchmybreath
Administrator

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » December 31st, 2008, 12:28 am

Rode Highland again today - loops A & B. Because of all of the previous hiker/biker traffic, there were spots of ice here and there on A, and lots of crusty footprints to ride through. The first 1/4 mile of A really sucked (due to the footprints), but it got better the farther we rode in. We continued on to B from A.....the initial hill sucked, but then after that it was fine - lots of areas were completely devoid of snow - just like riding in the fall with all of the leaves down. Then when we got a ways in - we found the deeper sheltered valleys where the snow really never melted - we were able to ride DOWN the hills while pedaling, but riding up in these deep snow areas was not really possible. One of these hike-a-bike sections was quite long, but on both ends of it were areas completely free of snow. All in all, it took us 2 hours to get to the intersection of B & C. Because it was getting late, we bailed out to the road via the equestrian trail.....only to find the road a sheet of ice!! We did manage to make it safely back to the car without issue. 8) FYI, the trailhead parking lot is an ice rink. Except in a few aforementioned spots on A, studs were not needed at all - and would have been a huge disadvantage on the rest of the trail - especially B.
WishIcouldcatchmybreath
Administrator

Postby Highlander » January 3rd, 2009, 9:02 am

It took us an hour to do just A loop, still has deep snow in parts. Fun to ride Highland any way. First ride of the year.
Gary
Highlander

Postby Mango » January 6th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Rode A loop tonight it was a blast. Took about 35 mins. Trail is rideable without studds but the hakka wc300 rock on the snow and Ice. Ride on
Mango

Re: Metro South: Highland

Postby kcnado » March 9th, 2009, 9:01 am

I went out to run Highland on Saturday - it was a MESS -- AVOID!

After viewing what a muddy mess lay atop a still frozen base, I opted to just run the Horse Trails and spare the MTB loops.
However - people have already ridden the Loops... I think its best for everyone and the upcoming season if you refrain until the freeze-thaw is over. The tire tracks looked to be 6 inches deep and a terrible mess.
kcnado

Postby Trippwire » March 15th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Yeah I went out there last week and thought the same thing. I turned around at the bridge at the beginning and went back to the parking lot. Its coming though, I'm ready.
Trippwire

Postby thejode » March 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm

It's ready. Did A, B and C today. Lots of leaves on A and B but C was clear. Apparently somebody blew the leaves off the trail. Thank you somebody.

It was a nice surprise to ride a trial today.

I don't know if it can withstand any rain yet so if it rains, re-access. But for now, it's good.
thejode

Postby TonyS » March 22nd, 2009, 10:31 pm

I was suprised!

There was no mud and only one small soft spot on B just after the C loop
TonyS

Postby Mango » March 23rd, 2009, 5:46 am

Your welcome about C loop.
Mango

Postby kcnado » March 23rd, 2009, 8:31 am

I thought it was pretty leaf covered actually... Although - I only did A & B as the sun was going down.

Trail is in great condition!
kcnado

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions