Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Hermannator » August 13th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Rode the trial completely for the first time Thursday. Knowing that part of the state, I was not surprised at the level of sand. Being by myself and seeing no-one at the trailhead when I started, I played it careful. Walked a couple of downhills that seems sketchy (they looked worse from top than as I walked down them). Took a bad line on that 6 mile uphill, but cleared the rest. Old Piney is fun. The sand monsters got me a couple of times. Would describe this trail to those from my part of the state as Poto with tons more sand and a few less long hills. Very fun. Thank you to those who maintain the trail!
Hermannator

Postby RobM » August 18th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Speaking of "Ole Piney", is there any thought of making some sort of covering for the main root that is now right where the ride line is going up the hill? I am not talking about making something easier for the climb, but that tree is cool enough to have a name sign on it, so I thought maybe it's worth saving one of its main roots from tire wear. I've been riding Yankee since 1994 and appreciate all the work that the volunteers do out there. It's a great trail and is ever changing with the weather and usage and the sand provides a constant challenge. The changing stations that were put in last year are excellent and I wish the idea would be copied on other trails in the state.
RobM

Postby dirtjunkie » August 25th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Yankee was fantastic last night...especially for August. As it dries out, it will get a little tricky again (aka: Yankee conditions in the summer months)....but it was a blast last night.
dirtjunkie

Postby Sortaslow » September 20th, 2011, 11:30 pm

First ride at YS this past weekend. What a gem. Trail was in great shape.

A new favorite!
Sortaslow

Postby msugrad96 » September 26th, 2011, 7:29 am

Rode Yankee on Saturday around 5:00. Only one other car in the parking lot. Sand was pretty wet and almost boggy. I imagine after the rain on Sunday night/Monday it might compact the sand down a little more. Overall it's in solid fall riding shape.
msugrad96

Postby Go_Green » September 27th, 2011, 7:17 pm

I was there around 2pm today and nobody there when I left at 5pm. No love for Yankee?

I thought the trail was in great condition. The sand was tamed by the rain. :)
Go_Green

Postby dirtjunkie » September 28th, 2011, 11:39 am

Go_Green wrote:I was there around 2pm today and nobody there when I left at 5pm. No love for Yankee?

I love Yankee! :D Be there tonight. One of the few trails that actually "gets good" when it rains.
dirtjunkie

Postby dirtjunkie » September 29th, 2011, 6:03 am

Yankee was in stellar shape last night. 20 miles before dark....a full loop after the sun went down. Yeehaw!
dirtjunkie

Postby SteveF » October 2nd, 2011, 6:01 pm

Shockingly good conditions at YS today--I went to try my new fat bike in sand but there really wasn't much there. Had fun anyway! 8)

It was comparable to conditions you might see early May--sandy patches in the usual spots, hills getting a bit gravelly and rooty but over all the trail is in really fantastic shape. (maybe this was due to all the rain last week? Might be a whole 'nuther story by next weekend!)
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby dirty29 » October 4th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Trail conditions were very good last night. Sand not as much an issue as it was during the summer.
dirty29

Postby Go_Green » October 5th, 2011, 6:43 pm

did a night ride backwards last night. Perfect condition and a lot of fun.
Go_Green

Western: Yankee Springs

Postby raymears » October 8th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Go_Green wrote:I was there around 2pm today and nobody there when I left at 5pm. No love for Yankee?

Isn't it hunting season at Yankee?
raymears

Postby Go_Green » October 10th, 2011, 10:06 am

Yes. Seen a few out there on Saturday. No concerns. They only time to stay away is the first couple weeks in November. MTBers still dominate the trails and will continue to do so until Iceman is done.
Go_Green

Postby Buck91 » October 10th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Go_Green wrote:Yes. Seen a few out there on Saturday. No concerns. They only time to stay away is the first couple weeks in November. MTBers still dominate the trails and will continue to do so until Iceman is done.

Great news and exactly why I was popping my head in here. Just moved out to the GR and I'm missing having Stoney Creek a 15min drive away :( At least Gun Lake is under an hour!
Buck91

Postby sommerfliesby » October 19th, 2011, 9:40 am

I'm gonna be in the 'hood on Friday and want to get a "best guess" from the locals...will Yankee be ridable after a couple days of rain? I know it'll soak up a little...but they are calling for 3+ inches. Don't want to make the drive if it means hurting the trails... Thanks, mike
sommerfliesby

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions