Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby Shall » May 22nd, 2013, 4:41 am

I finally got registered on here, kept on having problems. I created an open group on Facebook for the trails it's called Ella sharps trails. I thought it would be good to have spot where people could post conditions and plans for clean up etc as well times when people r gonna be ridin.
Shall

Postby jake » May 22nd, 2013, 5:38 am

There is way to much to post with why nobody ever helps. There is probably no chance of ever using a adoption option for trails there since the no one shows up to help with the park. Cascades Cycling Club is technically suppose to do all of the work and that is who hosts the Monday night ride. The one person from CCC who does work out there is not a mountain biker and knows nothing about sustainable trails. Last year this guy was out there randomly cutting new section of trail in the worst areas. Nobody maintains the actual trail to add new stuff is pointless and just adds to the confusion of paths out there. Park has the potential to be a whole lot better there just isn't the interest in Jackson. Probably because there are to many nice trails close by.
Use this code for 15% off your first purchase of Hammer nutrition products.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/148136

Sponsored by: Wheels in Motion
http://prisoncityracing.blogspot.com/
jake

Postby xcrdr » May 22nd, 2013, 5:50 am

I wish I lived closer. I think the trail is a great ride. I'd hate to see it fade due to lack of maintenance. Whoever is working on it keep up the good work. I suppose you guys have talked to local shops.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby jake » May 22nd, 2013, 1:54 pm

The local shops are not mountain bikers so that doesn't help. My friend is now manager at O2W so he has started the Monday night rides back up in hopes of getting people out to the trail. Maybe with more riders there would be a renewed interest in keeping it maintained. What I have always found ironic is the dirt jump section while technically not approved has always been maintained far superior by neighborhood kids than any section of the mountain bike trail has ever been. If you want a good laugh read the trail care section on the CCC website.

jake

Postby glr » May 22nd, 2013, 6:42 pm

So,
1. What does the city of Jackson (and possibly the CCC) have against the MMBA. It sounded like they wanted nothing to do with the MMBA. Do they think that If its a MMBA trail we are just going to have races and all be tearing around out there?
2. Does the cascades cycling club have any understanding of trail maintenance, and or sustainable trails? and can they really just make new trails if they don't know these things?
3. And where the heck is the small mass of people that do the maintenance out there (is small mass really 1?)
4. Well I think we should do what they say with trail complaints to email the following: cascadescyclingclub@gmail.com
............Shocking that this was out there.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby Shall » May 22nd, 2013, 9:20 pm

It's interesting that the CCC page says the park doesn't want increased traffic, ie. people coming from out of town. Has the anyone looked into approaching the board at Ella sharp and explaining that increased trafic from out of town could mean increased revenue for the park or even the city. Maybe it's only 5-10 people a weekend spending there money in Jackson on food, gas, etc. or a family coming to the park and the kids going to the museum.this is Jackson and every little bit counts.
Shall

Postby jake » May 23rd, 2013, 5:10 am

Have had multiple meets with th park and CCC. Funny thing is they always rounded up a few people to attend those meetings. This has been going on for years.

I find the description on their pag funny because 1) there have been races at the park. There was a collegiate race there 3 or 4 years in a row. Also the park hosts one of the biggest high school xc meets in the state. I can't believe the liability for this or a public pool would be any less than having riders out on the trail.

2) no, the person doing maintenance has no idea of a sustainable trail. Or even what a mountain bike trail should be for that matter.

3) yes, it is really just one person from their group for the most part. Last spring I cleared over half the trails by myself. A few years ago I had abou 15 people ( if I remember correctly ) show up (mostly MMBA) and we knocked out the entire park in 3hrs.

4) the yellow part highlighted at the bottom of the trail care page was directed specifically toward me. That was not originally there. I put a rock garden in the schoolhouse trail and a bypass. It was removed within a couple of days. I was told the trail should be for beginners. If you have ever ridden there you know this is not where you want to start a beginner.

You could try that email, but from what I have been told by others you are lucky to get a response. Now I know the CCC people and have even ridden with many of them. It is more a local club ride group with road riders. I have done all the rides, but the Sunday morning shop ride. Each is good for its target audience.

I recently read through some old Mid-state chapter meeting minutes and there is mention of a couple of meetings with the park. If I recall correctly at the last meeting I had the park director told me a new sign was going in at the entrance and would highlight all the park amenities, but that was years ago and no sign exists.

The biggest thing is we were right old told since the park is not technically a city park. The main focus is the golf course because it generates revenue. Other users run into the same issue there. The RC car track by the Schoolhouse trail cannot have a driver stand and they are suppose to keep it low key because the park doesn't want a bunch of people to know about it.

jake

Postby dauber76 » May 24th, 2013, 7:39 am

I was "lucky" enough to attend one of the meeting with the city and the park. Jake is spot on. They park/city just doesn't care. They acted like everything was fine and that nothing needed to change since the CCC was doing everything already. It was very frustrating. I don't know how many times someone from MMBA tried to open their eyes, but eventually you just get tired of nothing happening. If someone is motivated, they could join the CCC and infiltrate their organization. Get a MTBer on the inside so the trails can get the love they deserve.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby Laser4G63 » May 29th, 2013, 9:00 am

I don't mind clearing the trails as long as enough people show up. Like Jake was saying, a few years ago there was a nice turnout and took no time to clear the trails. I ride in there quite often because being a student I don't have to funds to drive all over to ride. Once in a while I will venture out to Poto or ride on the trails in the north country while visiting family or on vacation. Also, while riding in the park, I do try and clear dead trees, sticks or hanging branches as much as I can. I don't own a chainsaw, so I can't help with the big trees.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby aarontriton » May 29th, 2013, 9:56 am

Me and My son clear trees as we are riding also , We have never been to a trail day as with my schedule i work weekends, The trail is in dire need for clean up.
14 Devinci Troy
aarontriton

Postby glr » May 29th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Totally with you an lack of availability on weekends. I wish I had a little extra time, just picked up a new hedge trimmer. I could give it a good work out over there if I could find the time to go over there. It is a fun trail to ride.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby aarontriton » June 3rd, 2013, 12:09 pm

Rode yesterday ,looks like someone cleaned up some on the museum , i did clear some face slappers as i was going hope to do a some more clean up this week.
14 Devinci Troy
aarontriton

Postby Laser4G63 » June 4th, 2013, 4:23 pm

2nd bridge on the north trail is toast. There is also a tree down on the museum trail. Other than that and the overgrowth, the trails aren't too bad.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » June 8th, 2013, 7:57 pm

They were clear cutting around the power lines on the school trail which made them impassable.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » July 13th, 2013, 8:24 am

Does anyone know the conditions of the trails? How's the overgrowth? I was going to try and cut that back a couple of weeks ago, but something came up so I couldn't do it. I would like to get an idea of what areas need the attention so I'm not wandering around wasting time.
Craig
Laser4G63

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments