HCP Summer Solstice Ride- June 1st, 2013

For discussing Northern Michigan Mountain Biking Association events, updates, and more. This includes the Upper Peninsula as well!

HCP Summer Solstice Ride- June 1st, 2013

Postby Nechan » March 23rd, 2013, 6:23 pm

Time to mark the HCP on your calendars.

The Northern Chapter will be hosting our annual High Country Pathway Summer Solstice Ride on June 1st, 2013. The High Country Pathway is one of only two trails in Michigan to be handpicked by the International Mountain Bicycling Association as an Epic Ride!

The High Country Pathway is like no other trail in Michigan's lower peninsula. When you are on the trail you feel like you are in a really remote area. The terrain varies from lowlands with boardwalks to gently rolling hardwoods to sections with many hills, a couple which are too steep to ride. There are a few scenic vistas along the way. This is some of the best mountain bike riding you will find in the United States.

The 80-mile ride typically takes from 12 to 15 hours to complete with an average speed of 6 to 8 miles per hour. This counts time to enjoy the scenery along the way. While this may sound like a slow pace, only a handful of racers have been able to ride at a higher speed. This trail can be physically demanding at times and takes a lot of energy to ride. Other options are available if this sounds like too much time in the saddle.

Because of the remoteness of this area, we typically don't offer very much support for the ride. Be sure to outfit to self-support. We do spot a few cars along the route so that you can stash extra food and water along the way, or to be used in an emergency. We don't have an appointed group leader. We usually all start riding at the same time and small groups varying by rider capability form along the way. This seems to work very well.

Ride Description: We are trying to accommodate different abilities by offering two choices: 80 miles and 45 miles. On the 80-mile ride you will ride the entire trail in one day, approximately 14 hours (11 hours in saddle). The shorter 45-mile ride covers what many consider to be the best part of the trail, taking 6 to 8 hours to complete. Warning to riders not fit enough to complete the ride. These rides are very strenuous. For those who aren't as ambitious, we recommend other options, such as riding back from the Pigeon Bridge campground (about 28 miles), riding back from Rattlesnake trail (about 12 miles), the Clear Lake/Jackson Lake Pathway or the Shingle Mill Pathway.

Camping: We will be staying in the group campground at Clear Lake State Park. Located just 9½ miles north of Atlanta on M-33, this is an idea place to bring the whole family. There's a large central fire pit with benches, hand pump, and pit toilets. It is just a short walk to the hot showers, real toilets, sandy beach, trails, etc. If you are planning to bring a camper, plan to reserve a campsite in the regular campground.

Driving Directions: Clear Lake State Park is located 9½ miles north of Atlanta on M-33.
Nechan

Re: HCP Summer Solstice Ride- June 1st, 2013

Postby Nechan » March 23rd, 2013, 6:34 pm

Who would like to make the reservation for the group campground this time? I did the last one.

Nechan
Nechan

Postby kalkaskawinterfest » March 23rd, 2013, 7:13 pm

My kid wants to do the 80. He has about a 50 mile range. Thinking about bike packing it {unless it 50 degs and raining like last year} and take 2 days to do the 80...
kalkaskawinterfest

Postby Nechan » May 12th, 2013, 3:01 pm

20 days to the HCP SS ride. Ready or not here it comes!

If anyone has pictures from years past, could you please send them to Purple helmet (Tom).

Nechan
Nechan

Postby Nechan » May 20th, 2013, 11:03 am

12 days to the HCP Summer Solstice ride!

When are people arriving?

Nechan
Nechan

Postby feldpaj » May 22nd, 2013, 9:52 am

9 days.
maybe i should go ride a trail in preparation.
but then again, can you be "well prepared" for HCP/ :)
to do: bike-eat-brew beer-drink beer-board-hunt-sleep-work-
feldpaj

Postby Mike_D » May 22nd, 2013, 1:28 pm

^ but Joe will still throw down on the 80 miler & make the rest of us look like a bunch of sissies :D
Mike_D

Postby purple helmet » May 22nd, 2013, 6:06 pm

It helps that the rest of us ARE sissies..
The HCP, where no one can hear you scream.
purple helmet

Postby Mike_D » May 22nd, 2013, 7:11 pm

purple helmet wrote:It helps that the rest of us ARE sissies..

:lol:
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » May 27th, 2013, 7:04 am

Doug and I will be heading up from the Grand Rapids area sometime Friday afternoon.

FYI - We have the mini cabin reserved and have space for 2 more riders if anyone is interested in sharing the cost (it cost me a total of $49/night/$98 for the weekend). It has 2 bunkbeds, electric, microwave, mini fridge, and a heater (not that we'll need it). I plan to bring an oscillating fan and a coffee maker 8)

I had reserved this back in March just in case we had a repeat of last year mid 30's temps. The temps couple with the overnight rain made for some miserable sleeping that night. Doesn't sound like a repeat of that this year thank God. Sounds like there is a chance for rain both nights so we are keeping the mini cabin just so we don't have to deal with setting up/taking down a tent (and possibly a wet tent).

Let me know if you're interested....

Mike
Mike_D

Postby bh357 » May 29th, 2013, 11:16 am

The National Liar... I mean Weather... Service wrote:Friday Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. South wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday Night Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53.

Sunday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 63.

Gonna be a "fun" time on the boardwalks :shock: :lol:

Mike, if there's still room in the cabin, I'm interested.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Mike_D » May 29th, 2013, 11:27 am

bh357 wrote:Gonna be a "fun" time on the boardwalks :shock: :lol:

Mike, if there's still room in the cabin, I'm interested.

Fo Sho! This will be a repeat of last year's Soltice ride except temps will be in the 70's not 40's....

Yes Brad, there is room for you - I'll put you down. Room for 1 more in the dry cabin :wink: If we get 1 more taker, the cost is only $12/night per person :icon_thumleft: Jon Rose mentioned he might be interested but I don't have any contact info for him.
Mike_D

Postby mtbcrasher » May 29th, 2013, 8:10 pm

I can't do this ride but I want to spend a long day and ride this or most of it, I need a good map, where is the best palce to find something detailed enough I can print and take along with me. Thanks Mark
mtbcrasher

Postby tmb » May 29th, 2013, 9:14 pm

We should be up 7ish fri nite. Yes we will be spending our 1 yr anniversary with you foo.... um I mean adventurous souls :wink:. Probably opt for a site in the main campground tho :D .

Has it really been 4yr since my last HCP? Time flies....

Might as well start on a singlespeed cuz you'll probably finish on one!

T
Mom & Pop Racing
tmb

Postby Mike_D » May 29th, 2013, 11:12 pm

mtbcrasher wrote:I can't do this ride but I want to spend a long day and ride this or most of it, I need a good map, where is the best palce to find something detailed enough I can print and take along with me. Thanks Mark

Contact nelg (Glen) here on the board. He has some really nice laminated maps for a nominal cost.

http://mmba.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8544
Mike_D

Next

Return to NMMBA