CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby Sortaslow » May 26th, 2013, 9:12 am

5 riders passed me yesterday (wow was I slow and out of it) . Not one took the reroute. In fact I missed it. I saw the second part of it and took it though. Better marking?

Face slapper city. Things are growing way fast out there. I almost had a bad mishap due to one of the face slappers on a downhill into a turn. Ass puckering moment!
I wish I had some clippers with me, but I didn't.
Sortaslow

Postby cjn1014 » May 26th, 2013, 1:17 pm

was out there too. almost bit it in the same spot, and missed the reroute. where is it, exactly?
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby utabintarbo » May 27th, 2013, 7:58 am

I will try to get out there this week and do some trimming. I'll also see if I can't mark the entrance to the reroute a bit better.

As far as where it is... it is at the end of the 2-track along Lake George. Where we used to go left (along the new Connector route), we now go straight. It doesn't help that the old sign designating a left turn is still there. :P
utabintarbo

Postby mrbikester » May 27th, 2013, 9:06 am

My wife Rita and I rode Addison Oaks on Sunday and for first time did the connector route down lake George Rd. to Bald Mountain. Fantastic that Addison Oaks put in that gate which is at approximately 3 miles from trail head. Total miles for both trails including connector is approximately 16.5 miles. A great ride.
Yes, there were some annoying face slappers and I got rid of some with my trusty little saw and clippers.
Rick
mrbikester

Postby utabintarbo » May 27th, 2013, 6:53 pm

mrbikester wrote:My wife Rita and I rode Addison Oaks on Sunday and for first time did the connector route down lake George Rd. to Bald Mountain. Fantastic that Addison Oaks put in that gate which is at approximately 3 miles from trail head. Total miles for both trails including connector is approximately 16.5 miles. A great ride.
Yes, there were some annoying face slappers and I got rid of some with my trusty little saw and clippers.
Rick

Thanks for the trimming! Please record the time here, as every hour we put into the trails helps us justify more and better trails with the Land Managers. :D
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » May 28th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Interested in checking out Addison Oaks for the first time? Want to come ride with a group? Want to show others the outstanding trail system that Addison offers? Come join CRAMBA-IMBA at the National Trails Day event at Addison Oaks on Saturday, June 1st where Oakland County Parks and Recreation are offering free admission! Click here for more info.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby block » May 31st, 2013, 8:10 am

With all the rain, how is the trail? Anyone been out there the last couple days?
block

Postby c0nsumer » June 1st, 2013, 8:02 am

Sorry for the late notice, but due to muddy trails and pending rain the CRAMBA-IMBA National Trails Day event at Addison Oaks is CANCELLED.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » June 1st, 2013, 11:04 pm

The Addison Oaks Connector West Entrance Bypass at Addison Oaks is now open and has some temporary signage up on it. After hanging the signs today I grabbed some photos, and I wanted to share them here so people can find (and ride) this new piece of trail. This is found after the shared horse/bike two track paralleling Lake George, continuing straight instead of turning left on to the crushed limestone path.

I also collected the GIS data necessary to update the map, and this will be done shortly.

Click each picture to embiggen:

Looking down the two track in the direction of travel, the new trail is ahead and slightly on the right:

Ride through this opening in the split rail fence, following the yellow sign, and you'll be on the new route.

Turn left after passing through this next piece of split rail fence, as the sign illustrates.

Turn right down this new piece of single track. You can see the connector trail ahead in the distance.

Temporary signpost, along with the new piece of single track leading past the Cell Phone Tower. Ride down here, then continue straight and you'll be back on the old / familiar route.

Bob / utabintarbo scalping a line in the grass to help illustrate the new route.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Sortaslow » June 2nd, 2013, 6:39 am

Thanks guys. Thus will help a lot! I'm one of the dumbies that missed the connector. Usually, I see these things.
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » June 2nd, 2013, 9:14 am

The Connector Trail Bypass has been mapped, and the Addison Oaks Map has been updated accordingly. Find a new copy of the map here and see the trail segment here on OpenStreetMap.

See this post on cramba.org for more information.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby mrbikester » June 2nd, 2013, 10:58 am

Thanks cOnsumer for the better description and photos of reroute. I now understand better where it is and the reason for having it. I will try it out next ride out there. I'm sure the trail needs to dry out a bit after all the rain.
mrbikester

Postby lawn dart » June 3rd, 2013, 5:37 am

Addison was in surprisingly good shape last night. Lots of formerly wet spots have been topped with a course sand/gravel mix that does a great job of firming the trail and helping drainage. Note that it also makes climbs a bit looser, so watch for that.
lawn dart

Postby mrbikester » June 3rd, 2013, 9:22 pm

My wife Rita and I rode the trail today and it was in perfect shape. There are just a few face slappers. Pauly was out there with clippers doing some much appreciated trimming.
Rode for the first time the new Connector Trail Bypass and liked it. Only suggestion is that at the end near the cell tower where you come back out on the old trail there should be a SIGN telling you where the new entrance to Lake George Rd is because at that point you have passed it by a little. For people that aren't aware it would be helpful to have a sign and arrow at that point.
mrbikester

Postby PK » June 4th, 2013, 5:23 am

:shock: That's a great idea Rick. Maybe add a permanent signpost at the westbound 2-track to the little singletrack intersection and have arrows showing both ways.

Pete.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments