MCMBA: Munson

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Munson

Postby sally_2000 » September 29th, 2012, 6:42 pm

sally_2000 wrote:Does anyone know the conidtion of this trail lately ??? Thanks

Why yes ,I just checked it out later this afternoon. The first loop is in great condition , the second needs work , having face slaps & 3 down trees.
sally_2000

Postby dexner » May 1st, 2013, 11:28 am

Has anybody rode this trail lately? I work in Monroe and was thinking about hitting it here sometime soon. Never even knew this was here...
dexner

Postby VegaN8 » May 22nd, 2013, 11:43 am

I rode this trail 2 weeks ago and it was in need of a lot of TLC. Need chainsaws and a trail day to fix this one up. Being very flat it also seems to hold water for a long time in several spots.
So 2 weeks ago the SW section (closest to parking area) was mostly rideable, but required lifting the bike over 2 downed trees early in the trail, and walking past the muddiest parts.
The NE section was much worse, from the start there were multiple trees down requiring lift overs, then a major blockage with no way past. So I turned around and tried riding up the exit, it was slightly better but still ran into a different "impassable" point. I even built up one downed tree to make a nice one-way log crossing but it'll take a lot more than that to fix these trails up. Volunteer trail day anyone?
VegaN8

Postby jwilds1 » June 30th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Tried to do it today - no dice. Was my first visit, and there was a bunch of standing water on the "orange" loop (closest to parking), and standing water in the grassy two-track to head back to the second loop. I almost blew past the entrance because it was so overgrown. Went in through the out door on the back loop (sshhhhh) and same thing about half-way in with the standing water.

I'd gladly volunteer to help with a trail day. It's much closer for me than Maybury or Tree Farm, and because it's so flat I think my 8-year old would love it.

Of course now that I go back and read through this thread do I find out it's got drainage issues :)
- John
Super-noob
jwilds1

Postby steve-o » July 16th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Has anyone ridden this trail as of late? how are they? I have never ridden them and I would like to check them out. I have been ridding out at Morton Taylor rd.
:icon_r_r:
steve-o

Postby defense1 » August 12th, 2013, 6:10 pm

I rode Munson yesterday, I am however quite a newb on mtb trails so take my review for what it's worth. It was a little juicy in the low spots and there were a few trees across the trail in the front loop. All in all the front loop was a fun ride. The rear loop however... imho was inaccessible. I did find and ride through the entrance which was nearly grown closed but only made it in another 30 or so feet before I came to a tree that stopped me. I considered attempting to drag my bike under it and continue but the swarm of skeeters advised me to do an about-face. I bailed and rode the front loop again.

If I lived in the area, I'd say a brush cutter and chain saw are in order. Then again, maybe I'm just a newb and haven't really earned the title of mtb'er lol.
defense1

Postby steve-o » August 14th, 2013, 7:04 pm

im new to all this to. I don't live in that area either I live in between Monroe and canton and I am always looking for new trails to ride
steve-o

Postby JACKS-BIKES » December 17th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I spent three day out at Munson two weeks ago and cleaned both loops before the snow, I trimmed the entrance to the back loop. Let us know at Jack's Bicycle in Monroe if there are trees down.
Scott
JACKS-BIKES

Postby Loren » December 17th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Thanks!
Loren

Postby Butterflies_N_Daisies » July 20th, 2014, 7:25 am

How is Munson these days? Hope to ride it sometime this week. Plan to connect it to a ride to Lake Erie. Please comment on conditions.
Butterflies_N_Daisies

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 25th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Any recent condition reports?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 27th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Trail was fantastic this afternoon. Dry as concrete, just a few minor slappers, evidence of recent trimming/maintenance, and generally good to go.

There is a small (6"-8") tree down about 1/3 mile into the back North loop. I was able to get over it without dismounting, but it probably should be cut out to keep the character of the trail.

About 1/2 way through my second lap of the back loop it started storming really hard. Made my way out of the woods as quick as I could, and by then there was water starting to puddle on some of the trail. By the time I made it back to my car I was thoroughly soaked, but the rain stopped. Only lasted maybe 20-25 minutes so I would think that if we don't get much more rain it would be rideable again in a day or so.

Gotta remember to bring my kiddos down here. This is a great trail to introduce MTB'ing.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 27th, 2014, 5:12 pm

By the way, I couldn't find any trail maps of Munson online. So here are pics of the maps at the trailheads for reference:
ChrisInYpsi

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments