CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby r21954 » May 7th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Rode all of Holdridge Tuesday, removed the tree at six mile on the east. Orchard. should not be ridden. The meadows is all solid but three sections are under water from the lake being to high.
r21954

Postby Critter7r » May 15th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Apparently, Meadow is still flooded in a few places.

Any word on whether Orchard can be ridden yet?
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby r21954 » May 15th, 2013, 5:48 pm

It can all be ridden, I just cleared all of the East today. There is a place flooded on meadows and one on the orchard but mostly all good.
r21954

Postby Chris » May 19th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Multiple trees down on turtle trail.
2015 Specialized Fatboy
Chris

Postby AllMountin' » May 30th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Man I hate that ish. I was hoping we could incorporate some of the boulders on the East into the trail. It seems things are headed the other way instead. There are places to go for paved dirt riding, and Grubers ain't it. Must all of the challenging riding be taken from us?
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby MCSmith » May 30th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Flipmodes and I rode grubers on Sunday, around 11:30 to 3:00. I am not sure around what mile marker it was, I just remember riding up on a bike leaning on a tree, kept riding downhill about 200ft a guy was on foot in the trail. I did not see any tools. Phil said he asked him if that was his bike and he acted awkward and skidish.

There was a few re routes and I noticed a lot of rocks were removed.

The guy appeared to be in his 50's grey hair.

Bike was a older trek silver blue with vbrakes.
Clinton River Park Trail - Co-Trail Coordinator

2015 Salsa BlackBorow 1
MCSmith

Postby rvd » May 30th, 2013, 8:27 pm

AllMountin' wrote:There are places to go for paved dirt riding, and Grubers ain't it. Must all of the challenging riding be taken from us?

I heard someone built some nice new rock tech at Burchfield. Maybe try that?
rvd

Postby iamkickstand » May 30th, 2013, 9:47 pm

MCSmith wrote:Flipmodes and I rode grubers on Sunday, around 11:30 to 3:00. I am not sure around what mile marker it was, I just remember riding up on a bike leaning on a tree, kept riding downhill about 200ft a guy was on foot in the trail. I did not see any tools. Phil said he asked him if that was his bike and he acted awkward and skidish.

There was a few re routes and I noticed a lot of rocks were removed.

The guy appeared to be in his 50's grey hair.

Bike was a older trek silver blue with vbrakes.

A keen eye will be kept......
iamkickstand

Postby r21954 » May 30th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Thanks, when I went out about 3 it did look quite fresh. Next time get real personal. My phone number is 8106103478. Call me and ill bag them!!
r21954

Postby Critter7r » June 1st, 2013, 10:19 pm

Looks like I'll have to ride East tomorrow morning, then. I rode West today, and while it was a little sloppy, I didn't think it was TOO wet. So maybe I'll need to reassess my definition of "too wet to ride". There was certainly a vein of slop in the center thru some of the trail, but it seemed like the trail was firm enough underneath and I didn't seem to be leaving ruts in too many places. Most of the wet spots seemed to be more "puddle" than "muck". I would certainly default to Ron's opinion without argument, though.

Also, there was someone out with a chainsaw getting the tree that's down before the 1.5 mile mark, and I think I heard him cutting a second tree later in the trail as I was nearing the end. He didn't have any other tools with him, so I didn't stop to ask him if he was the rock/root bandit.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby iamkickstand » June 2nd, 2013, 5:51 am

I rode West yesterday as well, I didn't think it was overly wet. On the surface yes, in the greasy black sediment "puddles" yes, but the trail itself underneath was plenty firm.
iamkickstand

Postby turbotoad » June 2nd, 2013, 6:43 pm

Rode West sometime around 2pm-ish and although there were a number of muddy "puddles" and a little greasy around some corners, it wasn't all that bad. I imagine it will be farely dry by tomorrow. North loop was really sloppy in the normal wet prone spots.
turbotoad

Postby Critter7r » June 2nd, 2013, 8:40 pm

Am I a jerk for liking one of the bandit re-routes? I rode in thru the Hess entrance and rode Orchard (well, I rode most of it. A few sections were just too sloppy not to walk), and then turned right when I hit the road and re-entered the trail. I bailed at the trail that takes you back out to the end of Hess Rd and only noticed 2 re-routes up to that point: one was a tiny re-route around the opposite side of a tree, and the other was a sorta fast downhill, nearly stop, grind over some roots, turn 140 degrees and then climb a hill. The re-route is only about 5 feet to the left and quite honestly it seemed the natural line to take when I crested the hill and I didn't realize I was on a re-route until I was about halfway down the hill and saw the old trail next to me. But I was happy to be able to round that corner with a little speed (instead of nearly stopping) and go up the hill.

P.S. Orchard is pretty thick with overgrowth.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby r21954 » June 2nd, 2013, 11:53 pm

The point is that no one has the right to go out and modify anything without permission from the ones in charge of the land other wise let's just have a free for all and everyone do what they want then maybe we can just give up our priveledges. Grubers grinder was not ment to be a free rolling trail!!!
r21954

Postby turbotoad » June 4th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Someone (Ron?) has been a busy beaver...West loop was clear of the downed trees and only a few "mushy" spots. No real muddy areas at all. North was, well, the North loop. The typical wet spots were still pretty sloppy but most had dry lines around the sides or a skinny through the middle.
turbotoad

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions