Mid-State: Heritage Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Heritage Park

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 19th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Managed to find a map online (after my ride this morning of course...). I definately missed a loop or two.

Here tis for future reference:
PDF version: http://eyeonmichigan.com/guides/adrian/pdf/adrian_heritagepark.pdf

By the way, I forgot to mention in my previous post that the mosquitos were horrible this morning. Make sure to bring spray or you'll come out of the trail a pint or two low.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 19th, 2013, 5:55 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Thanks Steve. Was searching for a trail map actually.

I rode Heritage for a few hrs this morning. I had no idea where to go, and there were MANY unmarked intersections so I was blindly winding my way along. Some very nice flowy singletrack w a bunch of cool techy stuff too. I need to visit again or ride w someone who knows their way around since I'm sure I missed a few sections.

I lost my bike computer somewhere on the trail. No idea where. If anyone finds a Planet Bike Protege 9 computer w a stem mount please let me know.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a trail map, most of what I know is from the races and group winter night rides when the park is lit up with Christmas lights, and just exploring. One of the few trails out there you can do that with, a little bit like Bloomer Park. I might be up for an Adrian ride next Saturday. Let me know.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 19th, 2013, 6:02 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Managed to find a map online (after my ride this morning of course...). I definately missed a loop or two.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my previous post that the mosquitos were horrible this morning. Make sure to bring spray or you'll come out of the trail a pint or two low.

I wonder how accurate that map is regarding "hiking" vs "Hiking and Biking" trails. The upper left corner of that map I saw "No Bike" signs there when I did their last race. I've always avoided that loop. Didn't realize the boardwalk is a hiking trail. Anyone else know?
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 23rd, 2013, 9:27 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:I might be up for an Adrian ride next Saturday. Let me know.

That's cool of you to offer Steve, but I'm planning to hit Treefarm on Sat (weather and family permitting). Maybe I'll catch a ride with you thru Heritage another time. I definitely want to get to know it better, and it seems to be well worth the drive.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 23rd, 2013, 10:16 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:
Steve_Balogh wrote:I might be up for an Adrian ride next Saturday. Let me know.

That's cool of you to offer Steve, but I'm planning to hit Treefarm on Sat (weather and family permitting). Maybe I'll catch a ride with you thru Heritage another time. I definitely want to get to know it better, and it seems to be well worth the drive.

No worries - Heritage might be a bit mushy in the lower areas, especially the RC plane field after all this rain. I'm looking elsewhere for Saturday.
Steve_Balogh

Postby skieur » July 15th, 2013, 8:20 pm

The wife an I rode this for the first time since we moved to the area. There were some trees down from the recent storms. I moved what I could, but without a chainsaw I couldn't move much.
The Mosquitos were horrible. Bring bug spray

It would be nice to ride this with someone who has rode it before. I think I ended up double backing and on walking paths. I didn't come across the hill at all.
Just my $0.02
skieur

Postby blholtz » July 19th, 2013, 10:31 pm

I live 10 minutes from heritage and go their when I don't feel like driving far.

Every time I go there it's like the first time. It's not marked for crap. Nice thing is there is never anyone there so you don't gotta worry about running into any body
blholtz

Postby blholtz » July 19th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Also be careful of all the poison ivy. If the skeeters don't get you the poison ivy will.
blholtz

Postby skieur » July 20th, 2013, 7:57 am

blholtz wrote:I live 10 minutes from heritage and go their when I don't feel like driving far.

That's what I like about it. I have an hour drive to and from work. I don't want to drive more when I get home.

I guess it's time to man up and go take care of it myself in a few weeks when I have the time.
Just my $0.02
skieur

Postby jmiklovic » April 8th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Trails were in great condition today. I planned to just walk some of them assuming it'd be bad, but they were very good. I haven't ridden heritage in 6 years, it is soooo much better than I remember. It's not marked well, but there are so many different trails and reroutes it'd be almost impossible to mark. If you are looking for some epic loop head 40 mins further north to poto. If you are looking for some fun drops, rock gardens, a few difficult climbs some hairy switch backs, a little bit of north shore stuff... Well heritage has it all. Seriously. My stamina is challenged much more at poto, but the trails at heritage are much more technical.

Give it a try and go into it with an exploration attitude not a bang out a big loop attitude and you will love it.
jmiklovic

Postby Kazie » April 9th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Thank you so much for your great introduction! I've been keeping an eye on Heritage for a while, but I've never been there. It seems to be the very first trail to be ready in Michigan this spring. Even Hickory Glen is projected to open possibly next week. I am heading over to Heritage this weekend. Thank you again!
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby tmb » April 11th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Heritage is 80% open to riding, with the Stunt section being the only part still closed. It is still a bit soft and needs some work before re-opening(downed tree and bridge needs rebuilt). Hope to have it ready by next wknd.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions.

I'm happy to give guided tours and we can always use help w/ trail work.

Thanks for the positive comments on the last few yrs worth of trail work. It's a small group of 4-5 people that do most of the work on this ever-evolving trail.

And to those comments about poor markings. It's something we talk about often and have yet to come up with a solution. Mtn bikers are a small user group here(yet do most the trail work). Trying to keep "our" loop open and cutting off bandit re-routes has proven difficult. But we continue to try.

T
Mom & Pop Racing
tmb

Postby jmiklovic » April 29th, 2014, 4:26 pm

I'd be willing to dig post holes and donate some 4x4 lumber for marking trails. Miklovic.jay (at) gmail.com
jmiklovic

Postby tmb » April 30th, 2014, 7:22 pm

If you come to the race this wknd, find me and we can talk. Green & black "Mom & Pop Racing" jersey. Or just ask around for Todd, most people there will know me.

T
Mom & Pop Racing
tmb

Postby jmiklovic » May 2nd, 2014, 8:54 am

Sound's good. I'll look for you.
jmiklovic

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments