CRAMBA: River Bends

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: River Bends

Postby Roy » May 16th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Yes, what is with that crushed cement? (is there a rock garden buried there) It just does not fit with the rest of the trail. Why crushed cement and a by pass at the same spot? The by pass has better flow.
Steve, if you are not building it, who is?

The first part of the seasonal loop is very wet and can require hike a bike. The rest is very rideable, except for the very south end. The muck at that greats you after the fall line down hill is alive with hungry mosquitos.
I turned around on the new section when the trail turned to mud. So I can only guess that the new section is not rideable.
Over all the trail is in good shape.

No surveyor flags were seen on the seasonal loop.

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » May 16th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Roy wrote:Yes, what is with that crushed cement? (is there a rock garden buried there) It just does not fit with the rest of the trail. Why crushed cement and a by pass at the same spot? The by pass has better flow.

Jeremy is working on it; I was being silly. It's just not done yet. I agree, he did a good job making the bypass flow well. It'll be longer, though, so the rock garden may save time and be more fun. I think it's going to be great.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Mack » May 17th, 2013, 8:39 am

Roy wrote:Yes, what is with that crushed cement? (is there a rock garden buried there) It just does not fit with the rest of the trail. Why crushed cement and a by pass at the same spot? The by pass has better flow.
Steve, if you are not building it, who is?

The first part of the seasonal loop is very wet and can require hike a bike. The rest is very rideable, except for the very south end. The muck at that greats you after the fall line down hill is alive with hungry mosquitos.
I turned around on the new section when the trail turned to mud. So I can only guess that the new section is not rideable.
Over all the trail is in good shape.

No surveyor flags were seen on the seasonal loop.

Roy

Roy, Jeremy is the other T.C. at River Bends, and doing a great job at it I might add. I will have to get over there and checkout the
new garden when it is finished, and the trail drys out more.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby bpacz » May 20th, 2013, 1:26 pm

I rode some of the trail this morning. Most of it was in pretty good condition but some parts are still muddy. There is also a down tree blocking the yellow trail a few hundred yards past the second advanced/red branch and it can't be hopped over.
bpacz

Postby dirt » May 21st, 2013, 8:47 am

By Monday evening, the trail was on awesome shape. Few soft spots still firming up. But, depending on the amount of rain over the next few days, the trail should be fine for the holiday weekend.

Some seepage on the drag strip, and the tree down the last poster mentioned is at the end of the drag strip bypass.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 22nd, 2013, 7:37 am

dirt wrote:[...]tree down the last poster mentioned is at the end of the drag strip bypass.

This tree isn't really an issue as of yesterday evening. Either nature kept on moving the tree or some enterprising individual got it somewhat out of the way. It's broken off about 5' above the ground, with part still hanging in the air and the piece on the ground completely clear of the trail. I don't think there's much we'll be able to do about the hanging part for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it drops in today's storm.

As Nick said above, everything else is pretty good. The regular loop (sans the stuff built last autumn) varies from dry to slightly squishy and is all ridable. The seasonal loops have some mud in the floodplain, a few low-hanging things, a couple poorly built stick bridges that'll need removing, but it's otherwise passable as well. It's unlikely we'll do anything substantive with the Seasonal Loops until after the paved path extension is complete, since the exact impact of this work won't be known until the work is complete.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby tripleskulls » May 22nd, 2013, 11:55 am

Does anyone know when the new paved trail is scheduled to be built? I thought I heard it was supposed to be done in 2012?
tripleskulls

Postby c0nsumer » May 22nd, 2013, 12:51 pm

tripleskulls wrote:Does anyone know when the new paved trail is scheduled to be built? I thought I heard it was supposed to be done in 2012?

It originally was, but it's now slated for June - Septembe 2013. See the RCMC schedle here.

My understanding is that if it's on this schedule than all the permitting and whatnot is done and the work is a go. So, I expect it to start soon.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 24th, 2013, 7:52 pm

This evening while out at River Bends I disassembled a log pile and bypass that had been built out of rotted wood and very loose fill. Please don't build (or modify) features along the trail without first contacting either Jeremy (jer091) or myself. We'd be glad to see a log pile built in this location, but we need to be sure it's built in a way which'll last and not become a maintenance issue or hazard.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jer091 » May 25th, 2013, 10:49 am

Well I'm happy to report that all of River Bends is ridable.

Yellow loop is completely good to great conditions except for the newest "North" section.

The North section is ridable. Its not good but you can ride it all. There are several spots where the moist organic soil is soft, very soft. But it is not mud. Some spots thinner tires will sink so fat bikes are most welcome to ride it and help pack it down. Took out several trees and trimmed back a few spots.

The Blue Seasonal loop has a spot that is slightly muddy but rideable as well, otherwise good.

Please got out and ride and enjoy.
jer091

Postby utabintarbo » May 25th, 2013, 11:34 pm

jer091 wrote:The North section is ridable. Its not good but you can ride it all. There are several spots where the moist organic soil is soft, very soft. But it is not mud. Some spots thinner tires will sink so fat bikes are most welcome to ride it and help pack it down. Took out several trees and trimmed back a few spots.

Per your request, I took the fat bike through that section. It was somewhat un-fun. Probably should have dropped pressure even further. :P
utabintarbo

Postby MCSmith » May 26th, 2013, 11:46 am

utabintarbo wrote:
jer091 wrote:The North section is ridable. Its not good but you can ride it all. There are several spots where the moist organic soil is soft, very soft. But it is not mud. Some spots thinner tires will sink so fat bikes are most welcome to ride it and help pack it down. Took out several trees and trimmed back a few spots.

Per your request, I took the fat bike through that section. It was somewhat un-fun. Probably should have dropped pressure even further. :P

Rode last night and seen the tracks..told Phil I know who made those tracks lol :D
2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
2014 Trek Stache 7
MCSmith

Postby Roy » May 26th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Everything was ridable today, except a grassy area in the new section. A Ground Hog on the new section just did want to yield the trail, but he did.
Some how I never came across the Rock Garden, where is it at?

Roy
Roy

Postby c0nsumer » May 26th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Roy wrote:Some how I never came across the Rock Garden, where is it at?

It's not done yet. But you can see where it'll go (and the bypass) in the new section.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby dirt » May 27th, 2013, 6:54 am

c0nsumer wrote:
Roy wrote:Some how I never came across the Rock Garden, where is it at?

It's not done yet. But you can see where it'll go (and the bypass) in the new section.

It was only the new section till the newer new section was put in. :wink:
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments