Poto: Potawatomi

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Potawatomi

Postby barrybs » May 16th, 2013, 7:21 am

barrybs wrote:
EnRaz wrote:Just FYI, the tree that is mentioned above is actually 5.1 miles in from the Silver Lake lot trailhead. You'd be searching for awhile if you only went 2-3 miles in. :)

Thanks, A reliable source told me it was about a half mile after the Hankerd Rd. crossing just before the first rerouted Hill of *beep*. Sound about right ?

Barry

Tree was already gone when I got there... :o
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » May 16th, 2013, 7:28 am

Wasn't me. DNR maybe ? The sandman ? The ditch digger ? :wink:
G.Cook

Postby barrybs » May 16th, 2013, 7:49 am

G.Cook wrote:Wasn't me. DNR maybe ? The sandman ? The ditch digger ? :wink:

Stuff was cut into many small pieces, unlike what most of us do...I'm thinking DNR. The sandman was back at work digging ditches last week though.
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby G.Cook » May 16th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Yeah, saw the ditch work. Personally I don't care. A lot of it was wasted energy witch is to bad . He did try and restore some out slope in a couple of spots which was okay and a good effort. I just wish he would clear more then just a couple of feet of any out slope . That would be more effective in the long run.
G.Cook

Postby risnewski » May 18th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Trail in awesome shape. The sand continuing to rise and the hikers/runners/walkers are everywhere so be careful out there.
risnewski

Postby MLKuhl » May 19th, 2013, 11:19 am

Trail was in great shape this morning, very fast other then the sandy spots where it is getting very deep! All clear as of 10am.
MLKuhl

Postby mikesathome2 » May 19th, 2013, 8:19 pm

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/20/2a3yradu.jpg[/img]
Still hot and dry at 4pm today. Lots of hikers so it was a slow go around crooked and silver Lake trails
mikesathome2

Postby Paul Brown » May 19th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Yea, high foot traffic volume today, now I remember why I avoid Poto on weekends :cry: .
Paul Brown

Postby G.Cook » May 19th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Yea, high foot traffic volume today, now I remember why I avoid Poto on weekends

Yep.
G.Cook

Postby jajones » May 20th, 2013, 12:53 pm

In general, most of the "work" the Sandman has done in the past has been an exercise in futility, yet innocuous. However, I'm not a fan of recent work and would ask him to either get with the program and get some training, or, stop doing the work. Covering roots up with sand is one thing. They typically come back after the next rain. Digging out drainage channels at the trough of a depression (instead of at a water bar on a slope to divert water acceleration) is useless, yet generally harmless. However, building up a berm to try to make a non-"flow trail" a flow trail like he did in the Hills of *beep* has proven to be potentially hazardous. Why? The berm is not hardened. It is simply soft sand built up. I was riding behind a guy this weekend who went into it thinking it was a hard berm. It wasn't. His tire sank in and he almost wiped it.

READ THIS:

IF YOU ARE DOING ANY TRAIL WORK ON THE POTO OTHER THEN LOPPING OR REMOVAL OF DEADFALL WITH NON-POWER TOOLS, YOU MUST EITHER HAVE THE PERMISSION OF THE DNR EXPLICITLY/DIRECTLY (FROM THE MOUTH OF THE PINCKNEY UNIT MANAGER), OR, IMPLICITLY/INDIRECTLY VIA YOUR SIGNING UP AS A POTO CHAPTER ROUTINE TRAIL MAINTENANCE SECTION ADOPTER (AND, SUBSEQUENTLY AGREEING TO FOLLOW THE WRITTEN TRAIL MAINTENANCE GUIDELINES APPROVED BY THE DNR AND GIVEN TO YOU WHEN YOU SIGNED UP).

Any unauthorized "diggers" should be reported to the Unit Manager, Chuck Dennison, at Silver Lake HQ.

Over winter, we also had someone who took it upon themselves to start doing "landscape work" at the trail by removing large numbers of rocks from the trail tread. The Unit Manger was notified and the person was contacted and told to refrain, or, action would be taken.

I have a 20 year history of trail work and maintenance at the Poto and am currently the DNR/Chapter-approved Poto Chapter Trail Coordinator at Pinckney Rec, and I do not/can't/will not go digging in trail tread without proper clearance from the DNR. So there.

If you have energy and want to be productive, please join as a trail section adopter and we will get you some appropriate training.

Everyone with and idea and a shovel just can't start digging at their every whim on public lands trails.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Paul Brown » May 20th, 2013, 1:02 pm

I thought for an instant Sunday to go outside on that decent and grab that "berm", but then I thought hey...that doesn't belong there, then an image flashed in my mind of crab, giving further credence to my theory that my mind still has some quick processing capabilities albeit substantially diminished from days gone by. In other words not totally brain dead, just close.
Paul Brown

Postby G.Cook » May 20th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Saw some of that stuff today. But you won't .... :wink:
G.Cook

Postby PotoKing » May 21st, 2013, 7:53 am

Jason,
I share your thoughts regarding the addition of berms, I don’t believe they belong on this “multi-use” trail. I also didn’t like the root cutting last fall, or the divots created by rock removal.

As you stated, you have been around for 20 years. So you remember the days of the deep eroded gullies that were back filled and covered with the black plastic geo-web. Since that time, various water control methods were tried. Some work, some are temporary, and some are just bad for various reasons.

The largest portion of water control is maintenance. Maybe your use of the word “futile” was emotional? Just like trimming, water control needs to be done a couple times a year unless you want to return to the deep erosions and mud holes of the early 90s.

As with most of the “futile” maintenance activities of the past 20 years, it’s not the DNR, or MMBA, or IMBA, it’s a few local the care enough to get out and do something. Many thanks to them! Your post should be, buy these guys a beer… not call the DNR and report them.

Personally, I’m glad someone takes the time to throw a shovel of dirt on the roots that get exposed by use and erosions. I believe it make for better riding, (and running), plus it make it less likely people to widen the trail by going around them.

You know the guys doing the trail work in recent weeks, have you talked to him recently? Maybe the DNR, MMBA, and IMBA with get out there are show him how to do it correctly? Well, maybe not. Whether it’s something or nothing, someone is going to take issue with the work. Even the removal of windfall trees is not appreciated by all.

Got to go, take care!
Jim
PotoKing

Postby jajones » May 21st, 2013, 8:45 am

Hey Jim,

I think you misunderstood my post or I didn't make it clear. "Routine maintenance" is certainly not futile. This includes PROPER trail "knicks", waterbar clearance, etc. What is "futile" is the type of water drainage channels this person was making.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby c0nsumer » May 24th, 2013, 9:05 am

Anyone know if there are any events occurring at Poto / Pinckney this weekend? I'd like to head out there for a ride, but I'd rather not get in the way of any foot races or events or anything like that.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments