CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Seven Lakes

Postby Critter7r » May 14th, 2013, 6:49 am

Josh McCreedy wrote:Yeah, I was a bit shocked that they had put any work in, but good for them. A group called HORC (Holly Outdoor REc. Coalition) has adopted the park, so maybe that is the x factor.

I totally missed this post, but I'm on the Village of Holly Parks Commission and we work with HORC pretty regularly. Ryan Bladzik is a member of HORC (and Village Council) and lives in my neighborhood and Katy Hughes is also a member and she's the Village President's wife. I'll talk to them and find out what Seven Lakes is allowing them to do and how they're working together, and maybe get our foot in the door that way. I'll see Ryan at the Council meeting this evening, Katy may or may not be there. I'm sure Ryan will know enough about the situation to fill me in on Jim Case's mind-set.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Re: CRAMBA: Seven Lakes

Postby Josh McCreedy » May 14th, 2013, 7:38 am

Nice, Chris. Great strategy.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Critter7r » May 14th, 2013, 8:55 am

And with Jim O. tugging at the DNR's ear, maybe we can do some actual trail building this year.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » May 14th, 2013, 10:35 am

I know Ryan thru emails. I would be very interested as to what he had to say!

Jim O
Jim O

Postby Critter7r » May 14th, 2013, 10:55 am

I'll let you know tomorrow!

I noticed that on the HORC wedsite that they 'adopted' the park in late 2011. It states to check back soon as more details about the program are posted, but there are no details following. So either HORC hasn't had the manpower to proceed, or they've been shut down after an initial sucess with Jim Case.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » June 13th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Two words: standing water. And lots of it, especially on the south spur from between the boat launches. Not very much actual mud, but lots of puddles of water.

P.S. The giant log pile on that back trail was also removed.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » July 24th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Boat launch to boat launch has been trimmed (not by me, but trimmed nonetheless), and the last large log that required dismounting has been removed. Trail is dry except for the stream crossing after the south boat launch.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » August 8th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Trail is in good shape, moist but not too wet except for the usual couple of places.

The bugs are *beep* about something and out in FULL force.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby black2003ss » August 8th, 2013, 2:52 pm

So Seven Lakes trails are open/ridable? I ride right by them on Fish Lake Rd on my way to Holdridge. I should swing in there sometime and check them out, add some miles to my ride.
black2003ss

Postby Critter7r » August 9th, 2013, 7:16 am

yes, the trail is open, has been recently trimmed, and could use the traffic.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby black2003ss » August 18th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Interesting trail!

Very open, wide "single track", almost two track in a few spots. But I like it. The wife and I went and walke/hiked the 2.1 mile trail from the one parking lot by *beep* Shelter. There aren't a ton of sharp turns, but most of the downhills are in the fall line as are many of the climbs. Oh, the climbs, I can tell are pretty big compared to Holdridge. Some of the climbs out there are on par with PLRA. God, with all of the rolling terrain out there, I can only imagine the potential this place has. I can totally see an awesome intermediate 6-8mile sustainable trail system out there. The trail needs just a little TLC with some armoring in some spots, and the bridges could really use some love, one being replaced, wouldn't want to hit it hard on a bike. One can really get hauling out there it looks like. A little bit of sandy areas that could end up like some spots in ILRA and PLRA with more bike traffic. I hope to hit it with the bike sometime this week and see how it rides.

I took some pictures to give others an idea of whats out there.

Shaky bridge with a nice sweeping downhill into it with a nice steep climb out afterwards (steep climb is behind me in the photo, the photo is looking at the split sign/map one photo below).

A look down at the same bridge from the split. We elected not to go that way to shorten the hike with the dog. Going over that bridge would take you over to the back of the park onto the park road.

A really wet spot with some old logs as an attempt for armoring. This spot could use some TLC if work is ever allowed to be done.

A nice climb...

...that leads to this climb...probably similar elevation gain as the "2 mile hill" at PLRA.

Sweeping fast downhill into a bridge. The bridge is OK, it's leaning though.

Just a rock in the middle of the trail before getting dumped out on the park road.

It would be awesome to find a way in and eventually get some trail work done to make it more sustainable and a good marked MTB trail in one direction.
black2003ss

Postby jthomp » August 19th, 2013, 4:18 am

I take it this is a multi-use trail?

Looks like a fun loop and it's half the distance to Holdridge.
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby black2003ss » August 19th, 2013, 5:53 am

Yeah, it's a hike and bike trail as the signs all say. No motorized vehicles allowed, including no snowmobiles in the winter. We passed two joggers on the trail in our 40 minute walk.

But it is now well marked at just about every intersection with maps, numbers, and directions to the next intersection like the photo above.

This is also half way for me to Holdridge as I live at Thompson and N Fenton Rd. I ride to Holdridge from there. I might still do that but have the option to ride over to Seven Lakes or swing in and add miles on the way home from Holdridge.
black2003ss

Postby jthomp » August 19th, 2013, 6:56 am

You ride to Holdridge? I live about 3 miles west of you and I try to ride Holdridge once a week. I think I may just try this trail one of these days.
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby black2003ss » August 19th, 2013, 8:39 am

You ride to Holdridge?

Yeah, just started doing it a couple of weeks ago. It's 12.2 miles via back and dirt roads to Holdridge. I make my way through the Princewood Blvd sub off of Fenton Rd, head to the corner of Gage Rd in the back (blocked off for cars, but bikes/pedestrians can get through), head South on Gage to Kurtz. Take Kurtz to Addis Rd to Fish Lake Rd. I then take Fish Lake Rd to Quick Rd and head East, crossing N Holly Rd. I take Quick to *beep* to cross Grange Hall, where *beep* turns into Rood Rd. I take Rood Rd to Mackey and hang a left. Mackey takes me up behind the big gas station on Grange Hall Rd. I cut through the gas station and hang a left on Grange Hall for about an 1/4 of a mile to Hess Rd. All total, it is about 12.2 miles there, I do usually the West loop, then head home for a total of about ~28.5 miles or so. It's a nice ride with around a 1,000ft of climbing. Like I said, I go right by the entrance to Seven Lakes on Fish Lake Rd, so I could swing in there, or just have a shorter ride over to Seven Lakes as an option sometimes. I'm pretty lucky I can avoid all the major roads and only have the pavement in the subs and a mile or so on Fish Lake and Grange Hall Roads.
black2003ss

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments