Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby MLKuhl » April 27th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Got to finally ride this trail for first time this morning. Great trail, alot of fun and very scenic. I don't recall seeing any mud, completely dry.
MLKuhl

Postby F7Cannon » May 4th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Absolutely perfect out there today! :wink:
Shaun - Burchfield Assistant Trail Coordinator

08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-42 Road Bike-53
F7Cannon

Postby the Putti » June 3rd, 2013, 8:23 pm

Tree down just past mile marker 9. Otherwise, it's in great condition.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
the Putti

Postby bbender785 » June 4th, 2013, 10:22 am

I rode some of the first couple miles last week and was disappointed by the overgrowth; is there ever a trail day to cut it back?
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby the Putti » June 6th, 2013, 8:58 am

I've been told that the tree has been removed.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
the Putti

Postby c0nsumer » June 9th, 2013, 8:02 am

I rode Yankee Springs for the first time yesterday. The trail seemed to be in good shape, but the warm-up loop (or whatever it's called -- the one which loops back to the parking area) could use a trim. It's got some serious face slappers. It was really fun, though. Once I got a feel for the trail I rather enjoyed it. I think it'd be fair to call it West Michigan's version of Pontiac Lake.

Is the Devil's Soup Bowl meant to be ridden? When I got to the intersection with the wooden post pointing right for it I saw "Devil's Soup Bowl" painted in black which matched the MTB Route decals, so I figured it was part of the trail. I went down the first descent, stopped at the plateau, didn't see any bike tracks, and figured it wasn't bike trail so I just pushed my bike back up the way I'd come and carried on the rest of the trail.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby dirtjunkie » June 21st, 2013, 8:44 pm

Rode a full loop tonight....served to fix a crappy work day.

Saw two separate groups of baby turkeys, along with a doe and newborn fawn.

Some overhanging foliage, but not bad. One tree down at around mile 6, between "guardrail hill" and "The S Curve" section. Large enough to require a chainsaw.

Rest of the trail was good. Sand was minimal until the last couple of miles.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
http://crosscountrycycle.com/
dirtjunkie

Postby cramer » June 21st, 2013, 8:52 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I rode Yankee Springs for the first time yesterday. The trail seemed to be in good shape, but the warm-up loop (or whatever it's called -- the one which loops back to the parking area) could use a trim. It's got some serious face slappers. It was really fun, though. Once I got a feel for the trail I rather enjoyed it. I think it'd be fair to call it West Michigan's version of Pontiac Lake.

Is the Devil's Soup Bowl meant to be ridden? When I got to the intersection with the wooden post pointing right for it I saw "Devil's Soup Bowl" painted in black which matched the MTB Route decals, so I figured it was part of the trail. I went down the first descent, stopped at the plateau, didn't see any bike tracks, and figured it wasn't bike trail so I just pushed my bike back up the way I'd come and carried on the rest of the trail.

I believe it's just a geological feature they are calling attention to for people that are out exploring. It's for sure not part of the normal loop.
cramer

Postby reidabel » June 30th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Rode this morning, saw lots of vehicles in the lot (and SteveF and Tom ...), and the trails were in quite good shape. Of course, at this time of year, the vegetation is encroaching over the trailbed, including a fair number of thorny ones. Got some new scratches on the legs and located a water pump between laps and afterwards to try to remove any problematic plant residue before it caused any issues. Or should I say, before it added to my existing issues(!). A branchy treetop is down and blocking the trail shortly after mile 5.5, and an informal reroute has been put in that can't be ridden ... unless you can hop over a 12-inch log, and make an immediate left turn, that is. A handsaw could cut all those little branches, but it would take a long time - a chainsaw would be best.
reidabel

Postby bbender785 » July 2nd, 2013, 10:03 am

rode last night (minus the 2 mile warmup loop) and didn't see said treetop so it must have been tended too. looked like someone maybe did some vegetation trimming a few miles in too.
AIRBORNE Guardian
bbender785

Postby mirrordude » July 9th, 2013, 9:11 am

The Devil's Soup Bowl is the destination of a hiking trail that crosses the MTB trail. It's pretty cool if you want to take a break and hop down there. Basically it's a deep and steep round depression in the ground. Even in the heat of summer it's only 65-75 degrees down there. A very interesting geological anomaly.
mirrordude

Postby defense1 » July 30th, 2013, 9:06 am

I went down to Yankee last Friday with the hopes of tackling my first MTB ride (ever) and was sadly scared off. Driving in, the car was in a constant swarm of deer flies and I couldn't imagine getting out. I was skeeered!
defense1

Postby Mike_D » July 30th, 2013, 9:46 am

defense1 wrote:I went down to Yankee last Friday with the hopes of tackling my first MTB ride (ever)

:shock: You might want to try an easier trail first like Luton Park so the trail, not the deer flies, does not scare you off. Just sayin'....
Mike_D

Postby tokomojo » July 30th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Mike_D wrote:
defense1 wrote:I went down to Yankee last Friday with the hopes of tackling my first MTB ride (ever)

:shock: You might want to try an easier trail first like Luton Park so the trail, not the deer flies, does not scare you off. Just sayin'....

Yeah, took my wife to Yankee for her first MTB ride. She wiped out in 5pm minutes, and didn't bike again for a few years.
tokomojo

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2013, 1:39 pm

tokomojo wrote:
Mike_D wrote:

Yeah, took my wife to Yankee for her first MTB ride. She wiped out in 5pm minutes, and didn't bike again for a few years.

I've only ridden a couple of laps at Yankee, but I got the strong impression that it's the west side's version of Pontiac Lake. Accessible in some areas, but with a few that could really throw you.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments