Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » July 15th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Update on the downed tree situation :

Took off from work early (since I'm gone all weekend participating in the MS150 ride) to do some chainsaw action on all the stupid dead trees that decided to fall during the last storm. Picked a nice hot day to do so. Lotso sweating dude.

I cleared the two trees from the East loop (I started to really bum out when my Stihl wouldn't start for about 20 min),
the two big ones on Crooked Vulture and the ones on the main West loop which also covered part of Lucky Dawg (which hasn't been so lucky lately BTW). So stay away from Lucky Dawg for a while until we can get out there for more work.

SC 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby opjames » July 17th, 2011, 10:54 pm

I rode it this afternoon. The entire trail system is clear of all downed trees.
Thanks once again Gary and Rich for clearing all the trees so fast. It was so hot, I feel I owe you guys a cold one!
I managed to clear a couple of tree tops that were still leafy and blocking the trail somewhat. One was hanging from overhead in Lucky Dog and the other was almost completely blocking Crooked Vulture. I also removed a ton of derailleur busting branches throughout the entire trail system.
Come on out and enjoy before the next storm.
opjames

Postby opjames » July 17th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I forgot to mention, I know why that big doe let us get so close on the group ride the other day. She has twin spotted fawns that hang in the Wetlands section. We must have been between her and her babies when we rode through. They ran down the trail right in front of me this afternoon.
Just as cool as seeing that coyote the other day. Actually prefer seeing the fawns, personally.
opjames

Postby mmrobertson69 » July 18th, 2011, 5:53 am

So, when y'all doing the next group ride out there? Any chance of making it a regular thang?
"Nice bruise. What did you hit, a tree?"

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby Dirtdevil » July 18th, 2011, 7:34 am

SANTA_CRUZ wrote:We had a most excellent adventure last night. I was there at 4:30, but nobody else was there yet, so I rode the Whitetail
trail, South wetland loop, East loop and Crooked Vulture. By the time I got back to the parking lot about 5:20, I saw Sherri (dirtdevil) on her brand new, totally cool Specialized and one guy from work (Dan). Then John G. from work showed up, then Dave, then James (opjames). So we headed out. We did all the loops, but ran into many downed trees
from the storm, but made the best of it by crawling up and over cyclocross style over them. That was the adventure part.
Oh, along the way we were chasing a large coyote and had four deer staring at us while on Crooked Vulture. Cool.

Got back to our vehicles, had a couple of cold Bell's and some good conversation. (while drooling over Sherri's new bike)
Then my buddies Derek and Kelly Gibbs came riding up and another one of James buddies (Brendon), so we followed James around on his favorite loop which was really fun. Ran across another guy we know on his classic Specialized Rockhopper. Back to the parking lot for another cold one and some more great conversation. Didn't leave until 9pm !

Thanks to everyone that showed up and hope to see you again !
SC 8)

Once again, thanks Gary for a great group ride/tour of this trail AND the cold Oberons afterwards!! Had a good time and good workout :P Nice work on keeping the trails maintained. That's a lot of work and dedication. I think a regular group ride would be great to get more folks out there to ride. Next time I'll bring some brews!

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » July 18th, 2011, 8:54 am

James, thanks for getting those leafy branches out of the way, especially the one on CV, that was a trail blocker.
And those derailleur sticks are good to clear, they seem to be attracted to the drivetrain and spokes. Rich got
that one log that was in a flow blocking place and notched the top of the new log pile on Buckshaver, too.
You are right, twin fawns are super cool and that was a rare treat to see them run in front of you.

Sherri, it was a pleasure to have you out again and great to see you, you are welcome whenever especially if
you bring beer :D

Mike, I will definitely host some more trail tour group rides, on a semi-regular basis as I enjoy riding other trails
as well, but with the trail being in such good shape and I have so much fun with the riders that show up at these,
it encourages me to have them more often. Which day is best for most people ? It doesn't have to be on Thurs
and the later time of after 5 seems to work for more people. I will post up when I do it again with a little notice.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby mmrobertson69 » July 19th, 2011, 5:51 am

Planning to head out today with some loppers and a shovel. And mebbe a bottle of round-up. That poison ivy vine that broke my fall is on ma' list.

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » July 19th, 2011, 8:48 am

I'm heading out there today after work to ride the as of now clear trail and maybe yesterday afternoon's rain
made the soil a little less dry and dusty. Not sure what time I'm getting off work however, but probably about
5-5:30 time frame.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby mmrobertson69 » July 19th, 2011, 11:07 am

I'll meet you then!

"No, the ground."
mmrobertson69

Postby DeJ » July 19th, 2011, 11:32 am

I'm gonna try to meet up with you guys. But don't wait for me.
DeJ

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » July 20th, 2011, 8:45 am

DeJ (Mike), what happened to you ? I met Mike R and James in the parking lot last night and we rode all the loops except the Wetlands trail. Man, was it HOT ! Mike and James bugged out after one lap, but I continued on for another in the reverse direction. The temps weren't bothering me much, must have been because of all the time I spent in the sun during the MS ride.

But, the trail is in excellent shape right now, dry, hard, fast and clear of all downed trees and face slappers.

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: Poto: Morton-Taylor Trails 7/20/11

Postby ibisman » July 20th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Did a couple laps this morning...I like the new little trail "little shaver". took me acouple of times to get through it without putting a foot down. Nice. Put the bug spray on if you are going out there.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby trekker79 » July 22nd, 2011, 8:44 am

I'm heading out to Morton for my first time today, are there any trail maps online i can print out? Are they posted along the trail? Any tours today? Thanks
trekker79

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » July 22nd, 2011, 11:40 am

Check out Morton-Taylor trail on the Trail Guide, there is a map that you can print out that will help navigate.
It's a little out of date, but shows the three main sections. There are few maps posted along the gravel trail,
but they don't show the singletrack. Look for the arrows and signs while on the trail. No trail tour today.

I have a new GPS version that I need to get up on the site soon.

Have fun !

SC 8)

Number of rides = 152
SANTA_CRUZ

Postby jwhitey » July 23rd, 2011, 8:08 am

Just saw on the news that a woman was killed at Mi ave. and Haggerty! Whoa!
jwhitey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions