Upper Penninsula Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northern: Upper Penninsula Trails

Postby bullonwallst » May 17th, 2009, 11:22 am

How are the Trails looking this weekend?
bullonwallst

Postby normlobo » May 21st, 2009, 9:53 am

how are the trails around marquette mountian looking for this weekend? Thanks.
normlobo

Postby spwrozek » September 10th, 2009, 8:47 am

The new trail at Tech is sweet (it seemed to be between outer limits and inner peace). When it gets packed down it will be extremely awesome. I also rode the lower trails down to Nara for the first time. I didn't like these trails as much as I do the upper trails but they were still pretty cool. For some reason I rode the time trail loop and then out to the school, the technical riding is tough for me. I also forgot how crazy most of the stunts are over there. Great trails though all in all.
spwrozek

Postby NovaraAspen » March 31st, 2010, 8:45 am

Anyone been out to the Tech or Copper Harbor trails this season?
NovaraAspen

Postby swany » June 19th, 2010, 7:18 am

Going to U.P. during week of the 28th. Can anyone give me some info on the trails by Munising. Are they all nice singletrack, or will I be on a RR bed? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
swany

Postby Cerget » June 22nd, 2010, 12:38 pm

Do Burno's run, it's an awesome trail at Pete's lake campground. It's not riden that much, so it's bumpy from the tree roots, but the trail is awesome as it flows through the woods and next to lakes and rivers. It's about 10 miles south of Munsing on a state forest road.
Cerget

Postby swany » June 22nd, 2010, 7:33 pm

Thanks. After doing some checking, that one looked pretty good.

Adam
swany

Postby bleve » June 23rd, 2010, 5:38 pm

I'll second Bruno's Run, very scenic riding. Also, if you have the time and are willing to fork over the cash for the ferry to Grand Island, do it. The 20 or so mile loop around the island is a great ride. Bring a lunch for the beach on the north shore and enjoy a mini Pictured Rocks area.
bleve

Postby MO Speed » June 29th, 2010, 1:21 pm

Going up to Copper Harbor next week to ride the trail system. Can't wait. Anybody been up there lately? Wanna ride the fat tire fest but the dates never work. If you haven't checked out the interactive trail site for Copper Harbor it's sweet with video of trails and map and moving elevation chart. Wish all trail maps were like this online!!!
Happy 10th Birthday to my 2000 Cannondale F700!
MO Speed

Postby whitekir » July 9th, 2011, 7:11 pm

I was in the Keweenaw last weekend. Many mountain bikers really enjoying the Copper Harbor Trails. When you are up there, also check out Swedetown trail system (Calumet) for miles of sweepy singletrack. And if you enjoy the technical, take an afternoon and ride the Michigan Tech Trails in Houghton. Have a look at keweenawtrails.com for the latest on these trail systems. Enjoy!
whitekir

Postby barrybs » April 28th, 2013, 3:47 pm

I would do Bruno's, Grand Island, Valley Spur. They are all quite different. Bruno's is beautiful single-track surrounded by lakes and rivers with great scenery, Grand Island is old carriage roads with incredible scenery and high cliffs above the lake (saw an Eagle take off from below while peaking over the edge of a cliff), and Valley Spur is mostly a maze of two tracks through a very hilly area.

Previous discussion: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=112372&p=782389&hilit=valley+spur#p782389

Not bike related but a cool place between Munising and Marquette. (donation based) http://www.lakenenland.com/

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby TheyCallMeBruce » April 28th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Snow is mostly gone in Marquette now - we lost a lot in the last couple days. Munising and east got pounded this winter - 300+ inches, so probably still a lot there.
Have not ridden Valley Spur yet, but would ride Bruno's then Grand Island. Maybe my memories of Grand Island are tainted by the swarms of black flies that attacked us at every stop. If you have a day you could do both easily.
TheyCallMeBruce

Postby bleve » April 29th, 2013, 12:32 am

Big fan of Bruno's and Grand Island, only cross country skied Valley Spur once and thought it was kinda boring (compared to other places I had been), can't imagine it would improve on a bike. Doing both in a day wouldn't be a huge stretch but there's no cost to Bruno's (can't remember what the ferry charge with a bike was - probably $15-20).
bleve

Postby steveracer » April 29th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Hey guys I appreciate the comments and will use them to help guide me with rides this summer.....I will have to watch for those black flies....what do you do to keep them off your body?? I will have to deal with them in the UP and when I go to Canada later this year....

Can't wait to ride in the UP!
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby bleve » April 30th, 2013, 4:54 pm

steveracer wrote:Hey guys I appreciate the comments and will use them to help guide me with rides this summer.....I will have to watch for those black flies....what do you do to keep them off your body??

Keep moving at double digit mph!
bleve

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions